Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Can you expand on that a little? I adore SNKRX but hadn’t realized Brotato had any similarity.

I mean… if you play Brotato you will see both are games where you run around in an arena surviving in a series of rounds, while automatically firing at enemies with a ‘build’ you do of x components, in SNKRX was heroes, in Brotato they are weapons, gaining a bonus if you match up the same hero/weapon, and spending money in a shop between rounds. It’s very similar.

That was the one of the ones the demo caused me to remove from my wish list! Granted, because I’m too old to put up with even the minorest bullshit. (I refunded an Atelier game because it refused to honor my setting it to M+KB because it detected my controller was installed. I wasn’t going to go digging around behind my tower to unhook it.)

To wit, it asked me to build a room, which I started doing. Then it was telling me the room I was laying out was too small. Ok, I thought, I’ll just cancel that and put it someplace else since there’s not enough room here. Nope. Wouldn’t let me back out. Stuck placing a room in a space it wouldn’t fit and couldn’t erase what I placed, back out of the step, anything.

Since that happened within about the first five minutes, I don’t have much else to say.

I hadn’t realized that’s how Brotato worked, I’ll have to pick it up.

Which is why I was saying it isn’t exactly a Vampire Survivors clone! :P

I played the demo for Logic Town last week during the Next Fest. The demo is still available. It’s a lightweight game where you’re given a matrix of people and items (for instance, coffee, food, suitcase), a set of clues (like Tom doesn’t like red suitcases, The person with the blue suitcase got a latte, etc), and from those clues you have to use logic to figure out the contents of the matrix. Solving the puzzle rewards you with a little animated renovation of the scene you’re currently viewing. Solve enough and you move on to the next.

It’s pretty well done and I enjoyed the demo. Seems decent if you’re simply looking to chill out, though some of the more complex puzzles will require you to burn a fair bit of brainpower to suss out the solution.

The demo took about an hour for me to complete and it should give you a good idea as to whether the game appeals or not.

Clearly! Yeah, thanks for bringing that connection up - I didn’t know there was anything else akin to SNKRX out there.

Personally I find Vampire Survivors decent but very poorly paced. There is a good selection with a notable width of approaches for the genre now.

If you like SNKRX you might want to look at Just King. The Auto chess trait-combination and item system in a short campaign run. Instead of a snake you rotate a circle of your heroes.

20 Minutes Till Dawn
Closer to Vampire Survivor control-wise but with active aiming and the focus on collecting and combining weapon synergies. Better paced and more variety than Vampire.

More recently Bio Prototype left EA. 15 shorter rounds in a run where you collect organs and combine them to create synergies. Instead of predefined weapons and upgrades you freely assemble your own effects with different parts you find.

No idea about “which came first”, but when the dev ended development of SNKRX he/she specifically recommended Brotato as a game doing similar things (I seem to recall they went so far as to say it was “doing it better” or “what I was trying to achieve” but I can’t find the post now).

Either way, if you like SNKRX I’d definitely recommend trying Brotato. Personally I think it’s significantly better.

I got a fun dozen hours out of Space Haven this weekend, which at its sale price is a good deal. Early Access, and it seems going through bigger updates every quarter or so. I expect to come back for a deeper dive once they consider it 1.0 - in 1-2 years according to their Steam page.

As is, I only got through about 1/3 of the game’s tech tree - had a fun time with it, there is certainly a full gameplay loop there for those that enjoy colony builder games, but I’d rather not burn out on it before its complete.

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned here yet (unless me search-Fu is failing me). Monster’s Domain is seemingly a new spin on the Dungeon Keeper idea- you’re an evil wizard or something, defending your dungeon against the goody-goody heroes. You can possess any of your created minions (play in FPS mode) and this one kind of goes nuts with the detail:

Develop your preferred Style. You can focus on specific Style or mix them together to create a unique army of loyal Monsters. Choose from Necromancy, Vivisection, Mutation, Runes, Elixirs, Talismans, Forge, Techie, Strategy, Roguery, Drilling or Sorcery and different schools of Dark Magic.
Styles are complex systems focused on specific areas but combined with others allow to create more powerful weapons and upgrades. The vivisected finger of the mage combined with some elixirs can be a very powerful upgrade for your simple skeleton. Reanimated corpse of a fallen hero with some fresh mutations and newly forged weapons can make a really nice new Boss for your realm.

There’s a demo (latest update yesterday!) but I haven’t actually tried it out yet…
Full game releases later this year?

I need to plug this before the sale is over

Touhou Nil Soul is a remake of The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, the first shooting game of the now famed ZUN.
The twist is that it’s a tactical board game.
You control a squad of up to 4 girls which you pit against the bosses of the shooting game.
The trick is that each girl comes with totally unique skills (the only common commands between characters are the basic attack, and the basic guard). Some interact with others, some don’t. It offers a wide variety, which is very much needed because the bosses are hard.
Each fight is offered in 5 difficulty. The easy difficulty is actually the tutorial of the game where you get familiar with the pace and command. Starting from normal difficulty, the boss will start to hit very painfully your squad, and have defenses of their own.
All the info is transparent. The skills are fixed and won’t evolve. The only customisation is that there are pieces of gears, that act as specialization for each character: do you wan this one to be buff, hit hard, move faster, further? You use the various piece of gear to tweak them to your liking and the situation.
The transparency is shown in what effects are being applied (hovering over icons explain status, you can even hook a particular character stats on screen, and just examine anyone at will), and you always know what a boss’ next action will be, but there is some randomness that could be irritating. For instance, you won’t know who an attack will target if it targets only a single character. To demonstrate, one of the bosses got a special attack that can kill pretty much anybody in one hit.
What can I do, you ask? You can bring the girl which got a provoke skill, gear her up with resistance stuff before the fight, and when the time comes, provoke the boss and survive that one-time onslaught.

While you can go through the normal difficulty with a given team, you’ll need to switch characters and positions as the game progresses, taking into account your learned familiarity with the boss patterns and attacks. For instance, every boss got three phases, displayed at the top in their health bar, with attacks and skills being progressively more perilous as the battle advances. If you pay attention to the earlier difficulty, you’ll know what to expect later one. What at first may seem like repetition is seemingly the old and true pedagocial approach of practice and repetition, which alleviates a lot of the frustration of what could be perceived as gratuitous “gotchas” otherwise.
Ah, the game coming from bullet hell, there are bullets, pattern specifics to each boss, which will roam the field. They advance everytime somebody takes a move, although there are some variation based no this which I’ll let you discover. At first the bullets are a mere visual annoyance, but in the two last difficulty modes, they become terrible threat that you must learn to navigate around. Again, in your first battles, you won’t be able to avoid them, not expecting what they are, but after fighting the boss so many times, you’ll learn what to expect and how to avoid and position your group to mitigate damage.

The game is just incredibly smart, and for a first strategy game by those guys, I’m quite astonished.
It’s also incredibly cheap, being from China.

The translations aren’t great, either in English or Japanese, with skills not properly described and oddities. But playing the game will solve any misunderstanding.

There are also interminable cutscenes of chitchat between the girls, that are easily and thankfully skipped by pressing a single key, once.

I fear to look at the size of this post, but I didn’t expect to be this hooked to this little game. It would be this close to be not hated by @justaguy2, I bet! But not quite there yet.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ostanauts: hardcore noir space-sim

A post was split to a new topic: Siralim Ultimate: Siralim Ultimate: monster-catching dungeon-crawler that claims to have “ridiculous amount of depth”

The Banished Vault is releasing in two weeks.

I saw this game on the front page of Eurogamer and it looked good:

Looking at steam, it had been out a week or two and only had 24 (positive) reviews. I imagined the solo dev getting excited about his little game getting a great review on the front page of eurogamer and hoping it would lead to more sales, and felt for the guy. So I bought the game and going to dive in once I get a chance.

Looking a couple of days later on steam, the game has only got 1 more review since Eurogamer posted this. Does game media exposure do nothing for devs these days?

Generally not. Youtube and streamers are the only things that move the needle most times, and unfortunately games like this one are not only generally not great for streaming, viewers will feel like they’ve experienced enough to not buy.

This one crept up in my feeds lately.

It’s made by the Portal Knights developers (which was a decent enough Minecraft-like) and it looks like they plan to out-Valheim Valheim. Which might not be that hard, given the absolute glacial development speed of the latter.

I’m cautiously optimistic with this one.

And, this one, which is due to release in August and definitely more up my alley.

Dork Souls, basically, where you fight as Zorro-esque swashbuckling heroine against a villainous governor. Featuring pots-on-heads, tossing your enemies into various environmental hazards for effect (and giggles) and of course, exploding cauldrons, cannonfire, and of course using and abusing grand chandeliers.

Please. Don’t. Suck. We definitely could use more cheerful and silly not-quite-soulslikes.

The trailer for En Garde was amazing.