Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

So this is the War in the East of Wesnoth?
I watched the video, but the turn resolution seemed very confusing. Also seeing position referred to as hex numbers on the turn log while you don’t have the physical map in front of you on the table seemed a bit antiquated, amongst other things.
I like the concept of having to puzzle the enemy’s goals a lot though.

Well when you say it that way. SOLD!

Really tempted by Goblin Storm… Damn it!

Edit:

Bought it, got 4 crashes trying to start it up. I rebooted, then played for around a hour then crashed again about halfway though a scenario. sighs

Yikes. Thanks for warning was about to pull the trigger. I can wait.

For what it’s worth, looking at their forums they are working pretty hard on fixing bugs.

I have been trying out the PC version of Tiny Metal over Christmas vacation. The game is an Advanced War clone and brings two new things; one being Fog of War and the other allowing multiple units to Focus Fire thus causing more damage together.

The fog of war element allows two new radar units adding some strategic elements when they are combined with mobile rocket launchers. The focus fire also adds some tactile depth trying to combine your attacks (I find the attack copters are great for this).

I am a bit torn on the campaign as it is very wordy (kind of like a typical JRPG). I know there is a lot of complaints when there are no campaigns in many games so at least they tried to add one. It is just very, very wordy (though you can skip forward).

One really questionable item on the attack voice overs is that every time the standard tanks (called Metal) fire on certain units (I think it is infantry) you hear “Wham Bamm thank you…”, well you can guess the rest of the phrase. I am thinking that this is a language barrier issue and they Dev does not realize the context of that phrase?

The skirmishes are all preset; they have some scenarios set to fun and others to expert. I could not find a method to change the difficulty.

Overall, I do like the game for the Advance War feels but I am still looking forward to Wargroove.

All I have to say is …

Advance Wars had fog of war, just not on every map.

I don’t think there was much use for it besides (annoying) surprise attacks though, but @geewhiz’s reports seems to imply uncovering the fog makes units vulnerable to long distance armament?

The radar units will show enemy units in range (there are two radar units with different ranges of sight). I have not found a way to bombard those units yet (though it seems to be possible with the two rocket launcher units) and it does help to know which direction the enemy is coming from. Especially as you move your regular units around (the fog sort of returns - can still see building but not enemy units etc).

The AI is using the Rocket Launchers and Radar to good effect against me. I am still experimenting with them since I have not figured out the best formation to use combining the two. One caveat is that the Rocket Untis cannot move and fire on he same turn.

One more thing I have learned about Tiny Metal is that it will only allow one save in the Skirmish mode. I dislike this a lot since I enjoy moving to a different scenario and perhaps go back to one where I ended getting stuck or needed a change for a bit (some maps can be tedious since your factories are so far away and there is no fast method of bringing up strong reinforcements to the front without additional factories to capture midway.

Death Coming sold over 100k copies, anyone play it?

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/186568/death-coming-sells-100k

Should have named it “Omar Comin’“ and gone for that sweet Wire license.

This will be out of Early Access soon, anyone play it?

I played it a bit a few months back - it didn’t do much for me to be honest despite the fact that I like the premise. It doesn’t quite scratch the Diablo itch for me like the way Grim Dawn can.

Great game with stellar devs that listen to community feedback. If you like the idea of Diablo with loot being cards that define your hero’s abilities (which can be upgraded and impacted by monsters), you’ll love it. And its choose-your-session-length feature is very much appreciated. It’s come a long way since I purchased it on Day 1 of EA, and I have no regrets.

This is one of those rare EA games I played for 10 hours, completing a first quick run, and I am actually resisting to launch again everytime I see it in my game library. Very anxiously waiting for the final version, which is closing by, now. The “choose-your-session-length” thing, to quote Mysterio, is absolutely awesome.

The second half of 2018 counts as “soon”? :(

-Tom

http://onehouronelife.com/

The problem I have with these kind of games other than not knowing if they will hold my attention is on a public server I feel like it will be less than an hour before someone joins just to kill other players.

In the grand scheme of things, yes.