Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Wow, I’d never have thought they would go with it. It felt like a great premise that could only disappoint later on. Not that I want to spew negativity all over that announcement. I am really surprised as well.

Nantuket was just released and is currently available for only $12.14 on GMG with code BLUE25 as of this writing.

ACG gives it a buy:

Totally unrelated so maybe I am just a spam bot, but recently I discovered the “Ants Canada” YT channel, and it is really well done. It actually made me search for modern ant colony games and I found Undergrowth.

just stumbled across this on steam and did a lol. I doubt this is “worth knowing about (probably)” or “worth playing”, but as there isn’t a thread for “indie games worth lolling at the description of” I thought this was the best location for it.

And you cruelly don’t even link the steam page.

ha! here you go.

Iconoclasts by konjak is out.

Also available for PS4 and Vita. It’s a pixel platformvania thing with a story, but I think I can safely say this will be a good one. Might need to make a thread for it depending on how things go. (You never know which good games will flop these days.)

Ooh, I love renegade mechanics!

Wow, Iconoclasts looks REALLY good. Please report back if you get it.

I did, played 10 minutes this morning. It feels good. Debating whether to restart on hard.

From the RPS review it sounds like there’s more puzzles than combat, except for a bunch of unique boss fights. The emphasis on story and characters that subvert expectations could be interesting.

konjak deserves $20 just for Legend of Princess.

This just hit early access and is expected to release on pc and switch later this year. This Crafting rpg seems to share some dna with games like Harvest Moon. It has crafting, farming, fishing, etc. not just a sandbox, as it has a full storyline. There are also dungeons to delve into with monsters and robots to fight and mysteries to uncover.

Really pleased about the upcoming swathe of crafting games that have storylines like this and DQ Builders. I really enjoy gathering materials, mining, etc. but love to have a story to tie it all together and provide a reason to make stuff.

Wait. It’s doesn’t feature “retro pixel art”? That’s enough to get it on my wishlist.

Isn’t it by the guys that did Planet Explorers? Did they ever actually finish that? It always seemed really clunky and unfinished, was in early access for years.

Just as @tgb123, I am intrigued by the lack of pixel art.

Apropos of nothing, I would love it if some company got honest with early access and answered the question “Why Early Access?” with something like “we are motivated by game sales and money. We’re entering Early Access so we can get money to help us finish the game.”

Yeah it is, and you may well be correct on that. One difference here is that they have Team 17 as a publisher, which maybe helps them stay on track. I haven’t played it, but from the videos I’ve seen it looks quite polished so far.

There is much more game here than in Planet Explorers; it’s obviously heavily influenced by the publisher.

Think of it as a 3D Stardew Valley.

Nice! I love their games, even if I didn’t get far into the last one, the coding was too hard for me. :p

Stardew Valley is a pure sandbox, though, isn’t it? Does it have quests, story, etc?

Yes, it has quests and story