Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

This released today (v1.0) and reviews seem positive.

Oh my gosh this sounds amazing

Yeah, it really does, though $25 is a bit above my impulse price range.

I’ve had it on my wishist waiting for it to come out of EA, but not at that price.

For the King exits EA on April 19th!

From the developers of Space Run…

Been following this one a while and like the look of it, but one thing I read in a review of the Switch version made me rethink my interest. The bosses apparently enrage like MMO raid bosses if you don’t kill them fast enough, not in an instability way, but making them harder to deal with. Having to rush != fun for me.

This looks interesting, in a GO kinda way.

Haven’t seen it mentioned iirc.

The name doesn’t exactly roll of the tongue, but the dev blogs have been interesting and i’ll likely get this when it comes out.

So is this a combo of tactical battles + what looks like a strategic map?

Yeah. They’re describing it as fantasy X-Com. it is self funded, new studio, that had a failed kickstarter but they seem on track to release anyway. The say the kickstarter was the generate funds for more artwork, and that the game itself didn’t need more funding.

I’d never heard of it until someone posted something on the Aow3 steam forums, but this looks like my cup of tea.

I’m fondly imagining it as a higher production version of Battle brothers, with zoom and camera rotation and a magic system.

I am mildly concerned though that it seems the party limit is 5 members per party, but that you get 23 parties in tota.

Not terribly concerned about party limit, I mean that’s never bothered me in xcom, it just meant I had to really take care of my guys (and thereby become rather attached to them). I hope these guys manage to pull this off as it looks like it could be pretty cool.

Oh and you’re right about the name, it’s pretty rough, haha.

Do post the review when it comes out.

From the burbs, it would seem that the dev takes the path that more choices makes a better game.

Create spells from a big list of possible combinations.
Create combat abilities from 9 possible weapon type and trees and 6 ability trees each with different comibinations.
10 crafting types…

Looks like a nightmare to balance and make meaningful.

Valid points.

I’m hoping this is a case of simple systems interacting to make something interesting, like Battle Brothers.

Awkwardness aside, is “Forged of Blood” even grammatically correct? Just curious. Not that it affects the eventual quality of the game, but given the amount of effort the devs are apparently putting into it I find it strange they would go with that title.

You sound confused of title.

I think maybe what they were shooting for is “Forged in Blood” but messed it up. Perhaps they aren’t native English speakers. I do wish they’d fix it though because it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

Doing a Google search Forged of Blood pops the game up right away while Forged in Blood pops up several other items both books and a WOW expansion. Maybe they did their homework.

Correction:

Nails of chalkboard

I think it’s grammatically correct but strange.

It means whatever the thing is that is forged, is made of blood.

Fairly nonsensical but grammatically correct.

Forged in blood would mean something like my character/personality had a violent background and the blood from said violence was a contributory factor to my personality, ergo forged in blood.

Unless of course blood meant something like a blacksmiths, as in a location.

So my sword could be forged of Damascus steel (material) and in Damascus itself (location) in a forge, or it could be the cumulation of emotions, so forged of hatred.

It could also be forged for something or someone (revenge, a customer.)

All in all, a poor choice of name for what looks like an interesting game.