Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Not a one. These guys are the real deal.

Thanks @Mysterio and @BrianRubin. I now own all the Trese Brothers’ games. They have earned my support. A couple of hard working guys producing fun, quality games. Looking forward to Star Traders: Frontiers.

Its a very good game.

Dead in Vinland has a free demo out now, which allows full play of the first week of the game. I played through it on normal difficulty, and by the end of the week I had basically no resources left, no food, and everyone was sick, injured, and most had depression over 85%. It was a rainy week…

There is a Download Demo button on the right panel:

Vinland is keeping my interest. A surprisingly deep game.

I need way more time in the day to be able to play all the damn games I have already. And now there’s Star Traders: Frontiers, which I hadn’t even heard of until now? I’ll assume it’s an amazing mix of Starflight and Space Rangers 2 since I didn’t get a chance to read or watch the posted bits. In that case, I must have it.

Well if it actually turns out to be that, please do let me know!

Its not :) Its very good but its more its own thing. I would say the closest comparison might be the Smugglers series?

I hope this new attraction doesn’t lead to unrealistic expectations and the usual mob backslash: the Trese Bros games are really great games, but because they know to limit their scope (which, arguably, is what classic great games knew how to do already).

So good it sorta kinda already has its own thread! ;)

Sounds like a normal week for me. ;-)

Steam queue actually threw up interesting stuff for once.

It’s really simple and a good time filler. Nothing special or fancy, just down to earth. It has a demo.

You can play as a MInotaur! :) Cheap price (£3.11, or $5 i believe) so worth a try. You seem to be playing as the good guys here…

edit: so I bought it. You make a warband of 6 heroes, and there is alot of choice. The female outfits are…old school.

You can recruit a Void dragon, Tree Giant etc into your warband.

Screenshots:

So fra, the combat is pretty straight forward. Aside from the main quest, you can go dungeon patrolling, whihc generates small dungeon combat maps. It feels a bit like how I’d imagine a more conventional fantasy Gloomhaven, minus the central town as a hub. There is a temple, to buy blessings to help in combat, a tavern, to hire new mercenaries (costs money) or replace one of your existing mercenaries (which I did, as my start Void Dragon was a bit pants. I changed it out for a half Giant) and a store, to buy stuff.

After each battle (well after the one and only battle I’ve done, but one assumes the rest will follow suit) you get some gold and a random item.

So far, other than the simplistic combat, I am enjoying it quite a bit.

Play as the bad guys instead?

Banner Saga meets King Arthur with a dose of Darkest Dungeon, going by the screenshots aesthetics. Early access.

Thanks @BloodyBattleBrain, I decided to pick up Demon’s Rise: Conquest of the Deep. It looks like fun, and at 4 bucks, why not?

Edit: And, after playing it all evening, I can say that I like it quite a lot.

The first take on the Adventure mode for Low Magic Age has been finally included in the last update!

I watched some of the recording of this and towards the end @lordkosc messaged that he fell asleep. Setting aside commentary on @tomchick’s stream, I did not take that as a vote of confidence that this game holds a player’s interest.

Have folks had enough time with the game to hold opinions on it?

I’ve not played a game like this though I’ve wanted to and it looks interesting and approachable (and no zombies).

If I only play one game like this, should this be it, or should I skip it and go down the rabbit hole of Rim World? Dwarf Fortress ain’t goin’ to happen.

Well it was a long day, and overall this genre isn’t super exciting for me. I recall @Jason_McMaster mentioned during the stream that RimWorld does everything better , or something along those lines.

I agree with that 100%. It’s a different game from Rimworld in how it plays out, but essentially similar premise. Judgement has slower resource gathering and slower building, and instead of waiting for everything to attack you, you make a team and go out and clear map points. It’s not very deep in this regard, as you will only come away with some materials, or a needed upgrade item. There’s no “loot” you have to craft everything. Overall, it’s a decent game, but yeah if you are choosing between this and Rimworld, I’d go with the latter.

J:ASS looks cool, but yeah, I’d say if it’s a choice, RimWorld is an easy one for me to choose

To be fair, @lordkosc falls alseep regularly, and neither Tom nor the games are often to blame, as he explained.

It might be worth pointing out that Judgment: Apocalypse Survival Simulator is a complete game that’s been officially released. Rimworld isn’t.

-Tom