Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Persist in your language endeavour, and you shall be rewarded. Recettear addicting factor, without the obnoxious ARPG parts!

(stick away from the horribly botched pseudo-translation works released on Steam though).

ほしい! ありがとうございます!

Is the name of the game/studio really “Dogs and Cats”?

BTW, I should mention that I really enjoyed the Recettear ARPG parts. ;)

“Cats and Dogs”, please.

Their world building began with freeware light first person RPGs in the Wizardry vein, and they quickly evolved into a formula that Kairo later exploited of management games, which are basically the more involved prototypes of what would become the clickr genre.
They gained renown with a freeware, a simple yet quite deep shop simulation. It was so successful it benefited from commercial DS and iOS releases (which are basically the same as the freeware version).
Since then they have released a lot of variations based upon that number juggling/light story theme and made a living out of it. Sadly, for the last couple of years, they have been trying to include weird mechanics like slot machines or match-3s, unsuccesful tries in my opinion that make those more recent games a tedious experience. But since you liked ARPG parts, maybe you’ll enjoy those portions as well!

Now I’m curious. Since the name is “inu to neko”, I assumed dogs (inu) and (to) cats (neko). Why “Cats and Dogs” then?

I picked up Raft off Steam yesterday. Played for five hours straight. I seriously love this game. Something about being out in the open ocean, trying to survive while a shark is tearing up your raft, greatly appeals to me. The game itself runs beautifully, considering it’s an early access title. I encountered no crashes, and the menu’s and crafting are fairly intuitive. I played solo but you can also invite a friend for some co-op.

It might be sensible to wait to pick this up since it’s EA and not currently on sale. But I’m not a sensible person and bought it anyway. :) I want to support this developer and keep this game going!

Haven’t watched that one yet (saw it yesterday) but Splatty is fun to watch and Moonlighter has had my eye for months.

I think you’re right. Idiomatically (afaik, which admittedly is not that far) if you want to say getting along like cats and dogs it’s いぬとさる - dogs and monkeys.

It’s always Cats and Dogs. What sort of a dog person must you be to state the contrary.

俺は犬人じゃないよ!

Please don’t laugh at my Japanese. Still learning. ;)

I don’t know if I believe that either but if it’s close, I’m in.

Anybody playing Egypt: Old Kingdom? It looks lovely. And there is a demo.

Marble Age and Bronze Age were good games, so the company has good roots.

Looks interesting, apparently around 3 hours long…

This looks like it has potential but from videos I’ve seen it still needs some fleshing out. Beware! a survival horror driving game, think the movie Duel but in Silent Hill.

What’s with the tilting during turns? Is that a car or a motorcycle?

There’s a demo here: https://www.indiedb.com/games/beware

It’s pretty damn rough, and you’re basically just dumped into the world with no objectives, but when the headlights show up in the rearview mirror and the music kicks in - yeah. He might be onto something here.

One Deck Dungeon is out on iOS tablets now and it plays quite nicely. The interface is a bit quirky (sometimes wants tap and hold, sometimes double tap) but I’ve played a few games and it seems like quite the solid effort.

Was wondering about that, thank you for posting.

FYI, it’s also a buck off for the launch (8.99 USD). I’ve only played one character so far but feels like it could have legs. This is the sort of game where people like to complain about randomness, but to me it is about mitigating that randomness as much as you can and using the various skills to make the best of the hand you are dealt.

Just bought it (One Deck Dungeon), but haven’t tried it yet. When I saw it on Steam I thought it looked like a great iPad game, and I don’t mind randomness. The only problem is that my 3+ year old iPad’s battery is shot. Really hoping new Pro’s are released on June 4th.

(I just realized this thing supports Markdown, despite it saying so every time you start a post. Such a nice quality of life thing.)