Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

The game I was thinking of was Galcon. But in watching some gameplay, it isn’t actually like that. Interesting concept with the contained territories, though.

https://www.soundfallgame.com/

Ok this looks awesome also:

Meant to post that one earlier. Looks dynamite.

Third-bee perspective designed for casuals. I’d prefer compound vision to increase the skill ceiling.

Perhaps there will be a first person mode with compound vision, and we just don’t know it yet!

How does anyone know what the world looks like in a bee’s mind? Is it seeing 100s of small images or just one composite image? I do not think anyone knows.

Anyone else here playing Settlements by Treon Games? https://store.steampowered.com/app/704640/Settlements/

I don’t think it will be everyone’s cup of tea (i.e. primitive graphics, glacially-paced grindiness), but I’m finding it pretty addictive. It’s a real grab bag of different mechanics and elements: RPG, 4X, worker placement, city-building. The bits and pieces don’t always gel. And it’s deep / complex to a fault and fairly unintuitive (i.e. I played hours without realizing some fairly crucial possibilities hidden away in the UI). But it’s impressive for what (I think) is a one or two dev project. I’ve only managed to get my little tribe from stone age to iron age so far. That alone took 20 hours. I’m seeing from forum discussions that a full playthrough (i.e. all the way to the space age) can take a 100+. Good lord.

But it’s worth checking out if you can forgive the flaws and have the time to commit to it. Also, if anyone is playing and has any combat tips, I’d appreciate them. The whole front line / reserve thing is ingenious but has me a little flummoxed too.

I wrote a little about it in the city builder thread. Bought and refunded. I didn’t care for the pace, and the interface is straight out of 1993, taking up almost half the screen. It had some good ideas, and I may grab it again on sale, but I didn’t think it was worthy of a $20 price point.

I picked this up on a curator friend recommendation. It’s a really bare bones RTS. Units, upgrades, towers for defense, peons to work. Lots of unlockables as you play, and for $8, I think it’s worth it.

Bought it, was put off by the lack of a good tutorial, and graphics with no animation, and refunded it. If a game doesn’t grab me in under 2 hours, I’m done. Turned around and purchased Frostpunk, which I’m really enjoying. Loved This War of Mine, their previous game, and in the summer swelter, the frigidness of Frostpunk is like cool ac coming off my monitor.

No idea whether this game is any fun, but it gets points for its title.

Game is “Cats are Assholes”. Saved you a click.

I’m having trouble remembering a game from a few years ago.

I want to say it was developed by someone who started out in games journalism—like a PC Gamer editor maybe—I think it was some kind of 2D action shooting platformer, and maybe it had “gun” somewhere in the title?

Ringing any bells? It’s hard to google for “PC gaming gun” and get anything useful.

The fantastic Gunpoint from Tom Francis?

Yes! Thanks! I didn’t realize it eventually had a Mac OS release, I’d wanted to try it when I first heard about it but didn’t have a PC at the time (and now I do again). Huzzah!

Speaking of which, Into the Breach got a Macintosh port.

Any excuse to talk Into the Breach!

I saw a couple of my Steam friends bought Gladiabots. I love this type of game, brings back Omega memories. Is it worth it?

Hmm, that seems kinda cool.

Blarg. You guys stop getting me interested in games that aren’t even out.

-Tom