Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

I’ve been watching a few streamers play Gris and I’m definitely taken with it’s beauty but I still have no idea what the game actually is.

@Chappers gifted me Paratopic.

It’s a very small walking simulator. It lasts about 40 minutes, 20 minutes of which are, sadly, fillers featuring three very lengthy car driving sequences where you watch the road for 5 minutes each time, and a gas stand owner which serves tons of semi-exposition for 5 minutes in the middle of the game.
The game itself has got bits of a nice atmosphere early on (in a 40 minutes game!) and a pretty cool sound design. The story isn’t very interesting and quite easy to piece together. There is a jump scare that is very previsible, but otherwise it doesn’t feature many horror elements, implied or shown.
I much preferred Virginia — and better not try to draw any comparison to Brendon Chung’s works.
Nice sound design, still.

This popped up in my discovery queue, and in this miraculous season, it’s something that I both didn’t know about and am actually intrigued by.

@jpinard was talking life simulations earlier this month, and this seems to be one of those. Anybody tried it (or even heard of it)?

Ooooooooooooooo! That could be cool!

Rising Lords looks promising. Developed by Argonwood, a new developer in Cologne. Appears to be their first game and wishing them well.

"Rising Lords is a medieval turn-based strategy game with card and board game elements. Send your serfs to fight and die in your name… or let them prosper, and use them to your advantage!

Collect taxes and resources. Dictate rations and field work. Forge weapons, reshape the battlefield, raise armies, and build mighty fortified cities. Help your people become knights, or dump them on a battlefield far away, but be careful: even the most humble peasants will revolt eventually…

In addition to its campaign mode, Rising Lords features robust multiplayer functionality. Play a quick game, or settle in for an evening or more. Play mind games with your friends with Rising Lords’ advanced social interactivity, and let them pay for their insolence in questioning your right to rule!"

:)

Sounds like I need to ask for a wacom tablet for xmas!

Do you have more details? Is that a Command & Colours battle system I can see inside a strategy layer?

As this is on sale, I couldn’t help but pick it up. IS GOOD. The gunplay feels FANTASTIC, movement is fluid, there are a lot of fun abilities via DNA sequencing and powerups, and death never feels angering, as you either get some new DNA out of it, or you just have more fun killing bugs and robots. It’s great.

Ooooh very nice, yeah I had forgotten about that game.

ALSO:

All purchases of the game through Itch.io will also receive a Steam key for the game upon full release.

Also @BrianRubin you seemed to like this:

Dis gif! So good!

Oh yes, one of the best exploration-focused space games since Starflight.

Damn…if I hadn’t been watching of Supergiant’s new game (Hades) already, and you told me this was it, I’d have believed you.

Saw this mentioned over on ResetERA:

Also might be worth checking out:

Burden of Command has a Steam page and I’ve wish listed it.

Really hoping the developer can pull this off. It looks promising.

@lordkosc how do you embed those Steam images/links to the game?

Yeah, I’ve been following this for a while. Progress just seems so slow though . . .

Like this?

Yes. My Discourse Fu is weak.

What the heck? How have you not been sounding this from the mountaintops?.?

Ahem: