Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

The couple of Qt3 comments here weren’t very positive (but they were positive in the iOS thread and it’s not even an iOS game), but I have had heard positive things about it elsewhere so I bought it. It is quite fun. Maybe not deep, but its a nice little quick strategy game. Kind of game where you have 15 minutes or so to play something. The game encourages you to stretch yourself thin and try to do maps with one army, but you never know what you will get, which is constantly my downfall so far. It seems to have enough random events to keep it interesting as well. You might get an item that makes you really powerful, you might get some islands that you can level up quickly on, etc.

So far it easily seems worth the $13.

Controller. I haven’t even tried M+K.

In a rare act for me (as I don’t have special nostalgia for this kind of games) I’ve been playing today The Messenger, which has an impressive ‘overwhelming positive’ user score in Steam.
It’s retro in the most pure sense, including chirpie music, simple gameplay and ‘issues’ from that age like enemies resetting on screen if you go forward a few steps and then come back.

And well, I think I’m stuck already in a boss (the fourth one?). Because the game also imitates the low accessibility of that time, with high spike of difficulty, I failed 10 times already while I didn’t have that much problem with anything previous to it, and of course there is no difficulty setting in the game, that’s not retro enough. /rolleyes. It isn’t even fun trying to beat it, it’s a whole of avoiding hits for a while, waiting, and then giving it one or two hits in a narrow time window, then repeating again several times.

I didn’t like The Messenger much. The boss fights are doable but if you die you’re stuck going through the long, tedious patterns all over again. The moment to moment gameplay gets stale after a few hours. I’m surprised the review scores are so high.

Overall, I expected The Messenger to be much more difficult than it was, although there were some difficulty spikes here and there. Which boss are you on?

It hasn’t been difficult until now, and I say that not being an expert of this genre, but the boss for the swamp (an exninja who can turn you into a mushroom) is a sharp spike.

Help me find a game, I can’t remember how it was called:

-It’s an upcoming game, I think it was announced some months ago, I watched a 20-30m gameplay video, I’m unsure if that means it’s EA already or the video was done by the devs and it’s still unreleased.
-It seemed to be a roguelite, setting was in space, think something like Heat Signature but in 3d (FP perspective). You entered in abandoned ships and things like that.
-Graphics were fairly good, good production values.
-You had the goal of getting in, taking the valuable shit, and get out, preferably before security systems would activate.
-In the video they showed how the ships can be affected by several factors you have to deal with, like energy off (you can restart the reactor), fires, no oxygen, etc.

Void Bastards?

I would have said Gunhead, maybe, although I don’t think the goal of the game is clear yet (probably getting riches is only a side goal)

That one! (Void Bastards) Funny thing, I totally had forgotten it had a cartoon style. I think my mind partly crossed it with Breathedge.

edit: this was the video

Yeah I’d of said Breathedge also.

:)

Here’s another one Das Tactic is enthusiastic about. I get a real Warlock vibe from it.

It’s EA but seems pretty polished and I just happen to have a 10 spot burning a hole in my Steam wallet, so…

I’ve played a tiny bit of it and it’s impressive right off the bat.

From that video it seems a lot more interesting than the mobile game with the same name.

This looks interesting. It’s a SP survival game that takes place in the Amazonian rainforest (I’m a sucker for rain in my games). Currently early access. I wishlisted it.

This bit reminds me of Firewatch:

Having only a radio at your disposal you will follow the familiar voice of a loved one through this endless and inhospitable jungle, unveiling bit by bit how you got there in the first place.

Could be an excellent setting for a survival game, if they pull it off.

Not try to mock–well, maybe trying to very gently mock–but this was funny in the description:

Psychophysical parameters of the player include:
• psychological condition
• physical condition

The world first analyst/therapist wouldn’t find that strange at all…

(Arrested development reference)

/like.

This looks… pretty awesome!

The Hong Kong Massacre, a Hotline Miami-esque shooter with a John Woo aesthetic, looks pretty sweet. Releasing next week for PS4 and PC.