I Played This Indie Game and You Should Too!

I probably should have clarified that they’re very active on their Discord channel. Have you reported your issue there?

I’ve had this on my wish list for months. Watched quite a bit of gameplay. In the end, I figured this was one more in a long line of things that looked great but I wouldn’t end up playing much. So, how does it play differently with the new changes? Does it still have the time pressure?

They are quite active on the Steam forums and I got an initial response from them in my bug thread asking if I’d tried a few simple things to fix it (turning off various graphics settings). I said yes and that was the end of that. I kept asking if they’d found the issue or had an ETA to fix it but never got another response. So, overall they appear to be active but don’t appear to respond well to issues they have no answer for. I would have preferred they just say “we don’t know what’s going on there” so I could have just gone ahead and refunded it early. They seem like nice devs and are indeed passionate about their game (which is just the kind of game I love). They just seem to have a strange responsiveness blind spot.

The big update they just released removes the time pressure.

Huh, interesting.

With the previous core mechanic, you had to complete main storyline quests within X days, which forced you along a certain path within the world. That’s why the patch notes mentioned being yanked; you really couldn’t explore more of the world at your leisure. If you did, you’d likely fail the quest:

“I’d really like to explore that part of the world. But if I do, I might not make it to the quest objective on time. Crap. Guess I’ll skip it.”

This was the main complaint voiced by players.

Now, you’re free to dilly dally as much as you like, wherever you like, but the Chaos clock is ticking. The longer you take, the tougher the world becomes. But there are mechanisms to reduce Chaos.

Ok, so there’s a soft clock and a cost for farting around too long. That makes sense.

Looks like it’s 25% off. I’m going to give it another try.

I’ve been waiting for this to go on sale! The developer has promised patches and new content, but of course there’s no guarantee. Read the reviews.

Bit cheaper on Itch.io than Steam. Review

And of course everyone needs this (the DLC isn’t important):

Wuppo looks so nice. I have been eyeing that game for a while, but being terrible at platformers…

You should definitely pick it up

I picked up For the King again and the good news is the old crash bug I had appears to be fixed now so I can actually play. What’s not clear is what exactly are those mechanisms to reduce chaos? It doesn’t say anything about that in the Help. Does completing quests reduce chaos? How about side quests? Is there anything else? As a new player it’s about as clear as mud. I’m trying to judge how much I can explore without screwing myself.

Edit: Found this info in the latest patch notes. Quests, side quests and chaos generators apparently remove it.

Boy, I’m super happy I bought For the King again. I’m having a total blast with it. I definitely agree with @Mysterio that it’s an excellent game and I also heavily recommend picking it up on the Steam sale. I also really like the changes to Chaos made in the most recent big update.

It’s got some roguelike elements and is like Monster Slayers in that you unlock additional classes (and also equipment) as you play (and die) but it’s very different in almost every other way. I’ve never played anything quite like it. The overland map and all the cool stuff you can find at random is fantastic. I just picked up a carnival ticket in a chest to admit one character to the Dark Carnival, for example. Now to find it on the map and see what that’s all about.

I read a handful of reviews, and this seems to be a nice little tactical shooter.

Played a couple of missions, and it’s a lot of fun.

Anyone played this little indie TBS? I picked this up on sale because it said stuff that got my attention like:

◾ Three unique armies, each with their own distinct play style
◾ Choose your general from a variety of characters, each with their own special powers and enhancements
◾ Strategy without the random, results are fully deterministic
◾ Unlimited undos to find the best method of attack
◾ Combo system makes each follow up attack against the same target stronger than the previous
◾ Upgrade villages to increase your economy and access special units and effects
◾ Units gain experience by defeating enemies, yielding powerful champions and heroes
◾ Battle the AI across a sprawling campaign with unique battles and 3 difficulty modes
◾ Puzzle mode maps to test even the greatest generals
◾ Build your own maps and share them through Steam Workshop
◾ Battle others online with asynchronous game play

Apparently Advance Wars was an inspiration. It must not have been out long because there aren’t that many reviews yet.

I’m gonna pick that one up, most likely.

Looks intriguing. Please post impressions before the sale ends!

@BrianRubin. Please!

I’m gonna pick stuff up on Sunday, so I’ll dive in then.