I Played This Indie Game and You Should Too!

I’m considering it. How did you like it?

The level of difficultly means the rounds are really, really short. It’s so tough, that I rarely last more than a couple of minutes. I probably just suck though! The aesthetic and oppressive atmosphere are the main draw. The sound design is great, I would put it on par with the visual design. I just wouldn’t go in expecting a rogue-like on par with something amazing like Nuclear Throne, and if you can’t get into shooters without interesting geometry (DD’s flat-city; there’s nothing here!), then this is definitely not for you. The main draw is the incredible presentation.

I think a lot of people will find Devil Daggers lacking, considering the gameplay consists of circle strafing whilst firing a stream of globs from your hand. I think with actual level design, this could have been amazing.

Stardew Valley, four years in the making by one fella (100%), to be published by Chucklefish with a release date of Feb 26h (next Friday!) It’s being billed as a “Country life sim”. I’ve never played Harvest Moon but that is apparently what Stardew will be like; mix of farming/social/RPG sim.

If you’re interested in that kind of gameplay, there’s also World’s Dawn. Which was free, but it looks like it launched on Steam, so no longer! It’s good!

Just an FYI, this game was designed with MP in mind. It will not ship with MP but the developer plans on adding it.

Anyone tried Californium? https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/25/californium-review/

I got derailed by a bug when I started playing but hopefully they’ve sorted that now. Lovely art work.

Some more free stuff from the RPS ‘free loaders’ feature:

North has an excellent atmosphere.

Gremlins, Inc. (from the same devs who brought us Eador. Genesis and Eador: Masters of the Broken World) exits EA tomorrow, at which time its price will increase from $9.99 to $14.99. I bought the game on the first day of EA and it’s come a long way. The devs have done an excellent job during EA, religiously monitoring the Steam forums and implementing a lot of player suggestions. They even hold tournaments with prizes.

During EA, they sold over 8,000 copies. If you already own either Eador. Genesis or Eador: Masters of the Broken World on Steam, you’ll receive a Steam coupon for a one-time discount on the game valid from March 11 – March 31. They haven’t posted the amount of the discount, though. If you have any interest in digital board games and don’t mind playing in real time (no asynch at this time and I don’t recall if it’s planned), you should give this game a look. And don’t worry–it requires strategic thinking, unlike Talisman, which I enjoy for what it is.

Thanks for this post Mysterio I appreciate it quite a bit!

I didn’t realize it was the same team behind Eador but I have been watching this for a while and have been hovering my finger over the purchase button. Good to know about the price change and the planned coupon.

Do you have any experience singleplayer? If so how does it play solo or is this something that is much better MP?

-Todd

Two Tribes, the makers of the Toki Tori games, will cease making games after their latest title is released.

http://twotribes.com/message/rive-is-our-final-game/

As said, we’ve been working in the games industry since early 2000, making us dinosaurs, old farts, grandfathers or whatever you want to call us. This is great, because we’ve got a lot experience, but it also means that we act like a typical grandfather: slow and totally unaware of what is hot and what is not. Don’t get us wrong: we absolutely love making games, and we strongly feel that we’re good at making them. However, ask us anything about new industry developments, and often a big question mark will appear above our heads.

For example, we are used to working with our own proprietary engine. It’s technology that works great for us, but is by no means competitive with tools like Unity or the Unreal Engine. And then there are monetization strategies like free-to-play. We only know, and feel comfortable working with, the traditional model of full-priced games. The same goes for marketing: we know how to make a decent trailer and send out a press release… but have no clue how to get traction on YouTube and Twitch.

I played one SP game at the beginning of EA (4.5 months ago), but there was only one AI difficulty, which the devs pretty much described as dumb because they hadn’t yet worked much on the AI. Since then, I’ve recently played two MP games (2 humans and 2 AIs), and the AIs did pretty well!

With regards to SP content, the following are currently in the game:

• Custom Session (create any session you desire)

Challenges (unique sessions with special rules and accomplishment goals)

• A Training Session (play against two “artificial idiots” as you learn the game)
  • Just Business
  • An Engine of Progress
  • Gold Rush
  • Gremlined! (“Send your [censored] opponents to [censored] [censored], let them [censored] in [censored] and [censored] each other! [censored] [censored] [censored]!!!”)
  • Respecting Unexpected Inspections

The game is full of treachery, and MP sessions play quickly. If you don’t enjoy player conflict, it’s not the game for you. Otherwise, it’s glorious!

Atlantic Fleet has gotten three hearty recommendations in the Grognard Thread. I’m one of it’s proponents and don’t consider myself a Grognard. It is a fairly streamlined WWII naval game. You can fight individual battles, follow a linearish (I think your results determine the path and outcome) campaign, or a fully dynamic campaign. The last is my favorite. Being in the Atlantic they were able to portray the goals of the two sides as simply protecting the merchant fleets for the Allies and destroying for the Axis. Another nice twist is how they handle the Gunnery portion. You need to determine the elevation of your guns, so you’ll have a skill to learn as you get better at the game. I’m improving, but I have a ways to go and I think I’ll really enjoy getting there.
Link: http://killerfishgames.com/games/atlantic-fleet

My second recommendation is Blight of the Immortals. It too has its own thread, but it is an old necroed one which is apropos as this is a zombie game. The twist being it is set in a fantastical land of Orcs, dwarfs, goblins, etc. If you’ve heard about Neptune’s Pride or Subterfuge, this was the game that started it all. However, it didn’t really take off, so the dev kept working at it. He’s come out with a new version that has added some deckbuilding into the mix of realtime RTS. That is, it will take your Orcs 4 hours to travel a league (the games default waypoint) on a road. They are the fast ones. It might take your trolls 12 hours to slog through the swamp. I’m trying to get a 4-person game together, and it will be totally friendly as this is a coop game. You all work together to fight the horde of blighted zombies. The competition comes in seeing who can kill the most. You can sabotage your friends, but do too much and you may all lose to the Blight.
Link: https://blight.ironhelmet.com/#/menu/main_menu

UPDATE: it exits EA tonight at 9 PM ET.

…but we still don’t know if we should wait and use the coupon, or buy it now. Imma gonna wait.

Well, from the image in this link: http://steamcommunity.com/games/235660/announcements/detail/890956886389248579, it looks like the coupon will be for 30%. My advanced math skills tell me that 30% off 14.99 is 10.49, so you’d save fiddy cents if you buy it before it leaves EA.

It’s a moot point, since it left EA 62 minutes before your post.

I’ve played it single player, and because so much of the game involves screwing the other players over, playing against bots isn’t a whole lot of fun.

I’ve got a friend who may want to join in with this if that’s okay belouski? Need to ask him but I think he’ll bite.

Assault Android Cactus was released on PSN this week and it’s a twin-stick arcade shooter with co-op. This is a genre that I love very much and I think Cactus does it very well! There are lots of characters to unlock with unique weapons and abilities to mix up the gameplay.

At the moment there is a 30% sale on psn for early adopters. I believe it’s out on Steam and X1 aswell.

That would be great geggis. Here is a direct link for the game I’ve set up. Right now, Dave Perkins is the only other person to join.

The password is qt3