Little Indie Games Worth Playing

The last humble bundle had a game called Expand. It was minimalist, where you play as a square, and you travel through geometry. Very simple art, sublime music, and great design. I highly recommend it. It took me 2.5 hours to finish, according to Steam, so it won’t take you away from your AAA backlog for too long and it’s worth it.

I really love this approach to art design so much better than pixel art. Just plain lines and smooth curves and start contrasting colors. Lovely.

I noticed a Double Fine-published game also just came out last week with a similar art style called 140. Has anyone tried that one. It’s only $8, so I’m very tempted.

Last I checked, it wasn’t published by Double Fine, but 140 is an excellent rhythm-based platformer. Gets pretty tough at places, but some really lovely design and I seem to recall some neat boss levels. I’d recommend it.

I actually found out about it because of an email from Double Fine. In it they said “Double Fine presents 140 a challenging minimalistic rhythm based platformer out now on Xbox One and Wii U, out on PS4 next week with 3DS and Vita versions coming later this year.” They also mentioned in the email that it was original released by Carlsen for PC in 2013. So I suspect they’re just publishing the console versions of the game. They’re also publishing his new game Thoth, which they mention in the email will be out in October for PC and Mac.

Thanks for the positive impressions. I think I’ll pick it up on Xbox One soon.

Oh yeah, looks like they’re publishing the console versions. Awesome! Hope you like it.

Streets of Rogue has an official FAQ now (source):

Well, I started playing Virginia at 11pm and now it’s 12:45am.

So what that should tell you is that it’s a short but fascinating game. I saw a lot of Gravity Bone (or Thirty Flights of Loving) in it, but with a little more relatable setting and characters. The story is interesting, if perplexing. The way the characters communicate without words is very well executed. The camerawork is spectacular. And all these are eclipsed by the symphonic score, which punctuates everything with precision and drama.

There aren’t a lot of choices, there’s not a lot of gameplay. Just a story that hooks you very hard, very quick.

By the middle I started to realize that there are some collectibles to be found. And I still don’t quite know if there are bigger branches than there appear to be (I would guess no, but can’t be sure).

I recommend it, although it’s sure to be criticized by many for its length and non-interactivity. Neither of these bothered me at all.

Book of Demons deserves more love than it’s currently receiving. Read their very refreshing EA postmortem.

A post-mortem on an early access game. Ok!

That’s been in development for over 3 years. It really is more polished in its EA state than many games I’ve played that are in their “released” state.

You can’t argue that, with the tough and arguably silly crowd that revolves around Early Access on Steam, their choosing of word is quite poor.

The conclusion should probably be, that unless your game goes viral, or you’re not willing to base your marketing efforts on deceiving press and players, you should be preparing for a long run and a lot of hard work optimizing and building sales over time.

It’s a nice read, and I am happy they chose to share the experience… but yeah. I mean no one expects every game to be a runaway success right? I would think we would have a a few great games, a few really bad ones and most in the middle that mostly won’t make anyone an overnight millionaire but hopefully open a few doors for the company and/or the employees.

Butcher - basically Doom as a platformer, or side-on Doom if you prefer. High difficulty, super pixel graphics which suit the gore-filled, pixel-blood spewing vibe well, appropriate soundtrack and sound effects. Includes chainsaw. Awesome!

The only thing missing is a high score table, because it definitely lends itself to one (time to complete levels). Also, it was clearly designed for kb+mouse. There’s controller support, but the precision required in aiming probably makes it quite a bit harder.

I’m out.

Got a giggle out out of me Rock8man! :)

Me too. And I used this game as an example in the “I hate pixel graphics” thread about games that work really well with pixel graphics. You just have to sit back from the monitor about 30 feet, and it looks like a 4k game played in a tiny box.

That was pretty fun. I don’t hate pixels that much. I mean I love Stardew Valley. My sister though… hates them. It took a lot for her to buy Stardew Valley and believe she would like it. I am still hearing about Terraria.

The teeny tiny pixel graphics remind me of Benefactor on the Amiga. (Now there’s a box!) crossed with Abuse or Soldat. I pressed “Add to Wishlist”.

Definitely reminds me of Soldat.

It makes sense since Transhuman Design is the company founded by Soldat’s programmer (He even mentions it in the email he has been sending around about the release of Butcher).

It’s also effing hard. The first two levels weren’t too bad, but the third - a single platform arena where you’re assaulted by several waves of different enemies - took me about 20 attempts to get past. I like it a lot though. I’ve never played Soldat, but it’s one of those games that has a slick, responsive feel, great feedback, and a philosophy similar to the recent Doom where you just have to keep moving. Similarly, killing enemies drops ammo which blinks out if you don’t reach it quickly enough, forcing you to keep moving otherwise you’re going to run out of ammo real fast. Then you revert to the chainsaw which, in my case at least, basically means instant death. I can’t use that thing with so many ranged enemies. So yeah, hard.