Little Indie Games Worth Playing

It’s free and just in time for Halloween.

Discovered this little gem in the Switch e-shop, but it is also on Steam (and mobile too!, thanks @Left_Empty) This is a digital conversion of a card game I’ve never heard of. It’s a solitaire game where you start with a single sheep on your tableau and use cards to grow that into a flock of a thousand, mitigating the damage of hazardous events like meteors, plagues, and the grim reaper along the way.

I’ve only played the basic mode so far, which is pretty cool, but there’s also a challenge mode as well as a story mode of the grim-dark post-apocalyptic world where the sheep are trying to repopulate after all the humans have died off (no, not kidding).

Well worth a look for 5 clams if you are interested in solitaire card games.

Man, game creators are getting freaky good at learning how to push my buttons.

“Sheep. Sheep never change.”

The iOS and Android versions let you play 5 games/day, and you can purchase the rest of the modes for the same price.
My wife was very fond of it for the hour or so it took to her to crack and solve it. She got back to it as her “comfort food” game for a week, mainly because of the theme. Speaking of which, some of those illustrations aren’t safe for work I bet, according to American laws!

Didn’t realize it was on mobile. Played the first story chapter. Pretty cool. A number of cards are removed from the deck and all of the negative events are treated as the plague (which kills all cards of a single value) so you have to focus on maintaining multiple values on the tableau.

I picked up Shephy last night and am enjoying it quite a bit

New incremental game about being an artificial intelligence that makes… paperclips? And then slowly develops the ability to do more. Not your typical clicker. Author is Frank Lantz of the prestigious NYU Game Center. He also made Drop7.

http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips

FYI this is no doubt referring to the "paperclip maximizer"

An idle game that ironically idle when you put it in the background or switch tabs. Maybe prestigious, but a bit of a douche that designer is.

Edit: yes, I am butthurt.

Ah-ha! I felt like there was something I was missing.

@Left_Empty – I thought that was a weird decision also. But from what I saw it keeps running if it’s in the background, but not if you’re in another tab in the same browser? Am I wrong?

It’s the browser that pauses the script execution when it is on a background tab, most likely.

Bottom of the 9th made the move from mobile devices to Steam yesterday.

I like the way it uses D6 to model a pitcher/batter duel. I’m not crazy about the button-mashing when the batter gets a hit, but fortunately there’s a turn-based alternative.

With a bit of fleshing out this could be a good system for a full-fledged baseball sim.

This does look pretty cool. I’ve thought if I ever try and make a game, a baseball themed strategy game would be right up there. I used to love baseball, played it for years and loved following the Yankees from around 1976-1991. Then I grew tired of watching it and just got away from the sport.

I think OOTP Baseball is a good game with the wide variety of leagues it supports, the rule variations, etc… - but I think it fails in some main areas.

1. While there is definitely a variety in performance between various players, I never really feel that the system they use makes players feel like individuals. i.e. Batter A is a great hitter, but has trouble against a particular pitch. Pitcher B has great control and tries to nibble at the corners not giving the batter a great pitch, while Pitcher C comes right at the batter and tries to overpower them with speed or great movement.

2. OOTP doesn’t do a very good job at offering engaging choices to make during a game. Sure you can steal or hit and run - but the way it handles pitch by pitch vs just the result pitch doesn’t work for some things very well (like when to pitch out or steal).

3. OOTP tries to simulate baseball without 'gamifying it, which can be good if that is what you want - but sometimes I want to play something with more interesting choices. While OOTP has players who get hot and cold, that designation only means they have performed well or not - not that their ratings are inflated or deflated. I want to deal with a pitcher who just doesn’t have their stuff today. Is Ron Guidry not pitching well due to random chance, or is he distracted so I should pull him out early. Or is the batter on a tear because they are seeing the ball really well and have their ratings adjusted accordingly, or has it been random chance. I just want more choices to make.

Hoping this one gets through early access OK. Anyone been playing it?

OMG, I somehow own this. I’ve never played this, but I’ll load it up and report back.

My friend Frank Lantz made this free browser clicker/idle game about AI’s and space exploration

I think it is very good indeed.

Edit, fixed link

http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/

Just an FYI on this - player performance impacts morale, which in turn impacts performance (among other things). In short, hot hitters are a little more likely to stay hot from one game to the next so you usually want to ride them, while cold hitters are a little more likely to stay cold so giving them some breaks or sliding them down the lineup may be called for.

So I was enjoying the first few tutorial missions of Post Human W.A.R. It was well-written, the tactical engine was satisfying and the different factions were both adorable and deadly. I had to go while playing the third tutorial, and then discovered there was no way to save the game, at least in that tutorial mission. Thaaaaaat kind of killed my momentum.

Correct. I played OOTP obsessively for about five years and only focused on the general manager part of it, not the field manager. Running the organization is where it shines, not so much the play on the field.

Here you go.

Is Super Mega Baseball pretty good? I own that on Xbone, haven’t tried it yet.