I Played This Indie Game and You Should Too!

I couldn’t play it on my phone because they chose to limit it to iOS 10, but reading all this, and knowing well I am baseball deprived, I am going to grab it, and maybe throw a gauntlet your way sometime!

I agree that the dice can seem weighted at times. I normally have no patience for people who claim the computer “cheats” when die rolls don’t go their way, but I’ve come close to being one of them.

I like the manager’s challenge campaign, and the wrinkles it can throw in like double headers. I haven’t tried the classic pitch method, since the tutorial encourages you to learn the other one, but will give it a shot.

Wow, on the next hardest difficulty there is a pretty BS pitcher card that gets repeatedly shuffled in when the game has the Sunset special effect - “Batter predicts both incorrectly”. As the game went on over half of the pitcher’s deck had this card in, which meant the player needs to get awfully lucky to get a batter on base. After tieing the game up in the 8th inning, I really couldn’t do much of anything.

I still like the game, but there are some things that make it tough through some BS.

I think there is a mode that actually lets you play out a full game. If that exists I need to try that.

Let me know if you find it. As I posted earlier, with a couple of tweaks this could be an excellent system for a full-fledged baseball sim.

I think it may have been in the boardgame. I read some info on it before buying the PC game and I think I mis-remembered it being in the PC game.

I tried the “classic pitch” game and didn’t care for it at all. It made guessing the pitch 100% luck based. With the other system you can at least make an educated guess based on the fatigue levels.

You can play the percentages though and decide to play it safe by picking a location that is more likely to match at least 1 part, but maybe less likely to be exact - or go for the exact match at the risk of getting no matching parts.

I see where you’re coming from though and think they both have their strengths.

I just managed to speak out a manager’s challenge out on veteran difficulty with a game 6 win hitting a bases loaded double with an 0-2 count. Some of those advanced effects are brutal.

I think you converted me to the non-classic pitching. There is something satisfying wearing the pitcher’s stamina down. I just won a managerial challenge vs the Hard AI pitching. In game 6 I made him go through all of his pitchers, and then the last one down so I knew where the pitch was going to be. I had bases loaded and 2 outs, with a count of 2-0. I got a pitch I could have made contact with but chose to make it a strike. I figured I rather try and work for a walk to bring in the winning run, rather than chance it with having to do the base running role. I won - it was pretty exciting!

An impressive update was just released for For The King with a lot of QoL additions!

So did I screw up in this game (Paperclips) and guide myself into a deep dark hole? I have unlocked investments and strategic modeling. I have one project available, to get what I assume is the next big feature: Hypnodrones. But that takes 70,000 operations and I’m at about 60,000 max. Quantum computing can break that max, but not by nearly enough. At the pace I’m going, getting to 68k, from which I can probably stretch to 70k, will take days of just letting the game run.

The mistake I made seems to be how I split my Trust. I went 60/40 in memory/processor. Memory was clearly more important, but I figured I’d be sad if I didn’t have some processor speed. Now I’m basically stuck.

I’m starting to suspect that part of the point of the game is that it rewards “degenerate” or less balanced approaches to the gameplay. Like, I would be way more successful focusing on marketing over production to make money, and memory over processors to earn operations. Is that anyone else’s experience?

You have to put way more trust into memory than processors, yeah - thankfully, I was able to move toward that in my playthrough as soon as I saw the 70K requirement for hypnodrones. Marketing is mostly pretty weak compared to production, though, unless you’ve got a lot of it.

The bad news: there’s no good way to get out of that hole if you get yourself into it. You can wait forever for more trust…or you can restart, by spamming quantum computing while it’s giving negative ops until you hit -10K.

Yeah I never ran into that issue. Sounds like Warprattler has seen it though. Maybe just restart it, you are really early on in the game there just fyi. Sorry wish I knew better or could be more helpful!

I couldn’t find the way to restart… Is that right?: You have to get to -10,000 operations??

It’s really not worth it, in my opinion. I wasted time going through the whole thing and wish I hadn’t bothered.

I liked that Paperclips thing, but I couldn’t think of a reason to prestige and play it over again. I mean, that’s what clicker games and idle games are about really.

Same here.

Came back next day, “oh, new thing happened.”
Following day, “oh, i ate up the universe. Alright then.”
“Do you want to play again?” “Nah, I’m good.”

Same, could not see a reason to continue after clocking it, so killed the browser window. It also doesn’t run in the background on Chrome, so for me, defeats the purpose (or part of my enjoyment) of clickers games, in coming back to a tab and finding a bunch of stuff you can do because the game has been idling for a day.

Also, the obnoxious audio that one thing triggers, that I could no find a way to turn off.

I know this is an old reply. I’m playing West of Loathing now and it has been a romp of fun. Thanks for dropping the recommendation here!

If you like the paperclip game, you might checkout Spaceplan, if you haven’t already. Kind of the same idea, with a sci-fi theme.