Little Town Hero—new RPG from Game Freak

For those not aware, Game Freak is the developer of the Pokémon games, all the way back to Game Boy. In just a few days (October 16th) they are releasing a new rpg for Switch. I’d heard about it, but hadn’t seen much in the way of specifics until today.

First off, it looks gorgeous. Level5 gorgeous. 20 minutes into the video below, I think the turn-based combat system could be fantastic. I won’t try explaining it, because it’s a bit weird, but even in the tutorials, I can see the depth here.

I should mention that the combat has a distinctly puzzle-like quality. I happen to love that, but many don’t. It has the feel of a tactical card game, though the presentation is a bit different.

I don’t think the story is going to be the main attraction. At least it starts out with a kids in the village wanting to see the outside world for the first time. Kind of reminds me of Blue Dragon.

Even ignoring the fact it takes a while for the person playing takes a while to figure out what they are doing, the fights look long. But apparently it is all boss fights and the game is fairly short (10-12 hours if you pick up the system quickly).

Very interested, though I wonder how casual it will be.

Compact story progression designed with the busy gamer in mind.

I guess it is a budget game so shouldn’t expect too much.

25 dollars. It certainly doesn’t look like a budget game. It is a condensed experience, without a bunch of filler. As I mentioned, I think every battle is a boss fight.

This review makes the game look abysmal.

At the end he recommends people looking for a good Switch RPG buy DQXI for $60 instead.

Games Radar gave it a 3/5, noting the significant performance issues, forgettable characters and story. But they also said the combat system was terrific. I’m generally happy to play a mediocre RPG with great combat (Enchanted Arms is one of my favorite games of all time).

I really think this game is best viewed as more of a single-player card game with a campaign than a true RPG.

I’m all about that.

Mind you, I haven’t played, I’m just going off what I’ve watched and read.

Yeah, the preview made me think of Steamworld Quest.

The actions are called “Dazzits”, which I assume is intended to be pronounced “Does-it”, but will probably be pronounced “Dazz-it” by people who can’t see an obvious pun.

The actions start as ideas, called “izzits”. You have to spend the energy currency to convert them into the usable form. In my head, they are close to “is it” and “that’s it” or “does it”

Yeah, I read “Izzit” as “Is it?” Like, “Is it a good idea?”

Hmm. I guess Dazzit could be “That’s It!”. That’s an acceptable pun.

Dazz-it’s is more fun to say than does-it! 😄