Live action Ghost in the Shell - Starring Scarlett Johansson

Because then the people involved would have to come up with something original?

My guess is that the IP has a lot of brand recognition for a very moderate value (specially within certain valued demographics) so it keeps making sense to the suits, at least until they focus test the script. …

Because then the people involved would have to come up with something original? :P

In all seriousness, I think certain anime IPs test well within certain valued demographics and are really cheap to license (by Hollywood standards). There are also other crazy projects out there (although not as advanced in development). My guess is that this guess cancelled once a real (high) budget happens.

It also depends on how they represent it. They could go a very modern route, a stylized Matrix type route (which would be interesting since The Matrix drew heavily from GITS), more intellectual (like the anime, with spurts of action), or very actiony and oddly stylized (say, Aeon Flux).

— Alan

But none of that is very likely, IMO. What they will almost certainly do if they ever get to the point of editing something together is provide a senselessly incoherent action plot with the occasional scene lifted from the anime as a weak attempt at fan service. And as much of Scarlett Johansson’s bottom as possible. That last item is not a bad thing, of course, but I doubt they will be able to beat out the opening credits to Lost In Translation in that regard anyway.

Looks like there’s a new animated movie coming up soon. From the character designs, I’m guessing this is a followup to the Arise show, which I thought was poor.

Yep, it’s a sequel. Or continuation, really - the whole thing is effectively one big story arc. Only Japanese version of the movie so far, supposed to be a Western release this year sometime. Personally, I thought Arise was pretty good, so I’m happy to see it.

Here’s the first image from the production:

The film, which is based on the famous Kodansha Comics manga series of the same name, written and illustrated by Masamune Shirow, is produced by Avi Arad (“THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1 & 2,” “IRON MAN”), Ari Arad (“GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE”), and Steven Paul (“GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE”). Michael Costigan (“PROMETHEUS”), Tetsu Fujimura (“TEKKEN”), Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, whose animation studio Production I.G produced the Japanese "GHOST IN THE SHELL” film and television series, and Jeffrey Silver (“EDGE OF TOMORROW,” “300”) will executive produce.

Based on the internationally-acclaimed sci-fi property, “GHOST IN THE SHELL” follows the Major, a special ops, one-of-a-kind human-cyborg hybrid, who leads the elite task force Section 9. Devoted to stopping the most dangerous criminals and extremists, Section 9 is faced with an enemy whose singular goal is to wipe out Hanka Robotic’s advancements in cyber technology.

“We are so pleased to be in Wellington to shoot ‘GHOST IN THE SHELL,’” said producers Avi Arad, Ari Arad, Michael Costigan and Jeffrey Silver. “The city boasts state-of-the-art production facilities and a rich urban landscape that make it an ideal setting for a sci-fi action film. The crew-base in New Zealand working on the film is first class, and working with Sir Richard Taylor and the team at Weta Workshop is inspirational on every level. The people of New Zealand have been terrific partners in helping us bring this story and its beloved characters to audiences around the world and we are thankful for their continued hospitality.”

ahh, yes, the rich urban landscape of Wellington. I think that producer meant, “we thank the taxpaying people of New Zealand for bankrolling our blockbuster movie.”

Hey Wellington at night is real scary, real hellish Blade Runner-esque dystopia. Who knows, I’ve never been.

Not clear how much is going to be sound stage work versus on-location filming. We don’t really know what the budget is yet, but I’m sure the fanbase will be real happy if they don’t even set foot in Asia. Don’t think the fans will be too excited regardless, plus it sounds like total hack work.

Too bad, I had a great script about Section 9 doing security at a Cheap Trick gig.

Teaser for the teaser:

I like it.

That new animated movie, though, yuck. The english voice acting is atrocious.

One of the things I’ve read is that they will lift some imagery from the first two animated features, but the main storyline will push into the Kuze storyline from 2nd Gig.

The voice acting in the new animated movie (which is a continuation of the Arise universe) is pretty much on par with any other GitS feature brought over to the states, movie or series (in fact it seems like the voice actor that previously did the incarnations of the Major is doing another character for this one).

— Alan

I’m so glad they adopted “HEYGUYS,” the ritual address of the YouTube tribe.

Five bass drops. Christ.

Man, I really want this to be good. Nothing in that trailer jumps out at me and says “be excited”, though.

Yeah I agree. There’s nothing here that really grabs me, and this does indeed look like a mishmash of the GITS movie, GITS: Innocence and the Kuze storyline from 2nd Gig.

Plus, at the beginning, she says, “This is Major” and at first I couldn’t tell if she was saying that was actually her name (Major), if somehow she missed a syllable (The Major) or is she’s like, “wow this is major”. I guess it’s the first, but that’s just… ugh.

— Alan

At the very least, it was nice to see Takeshi Kitano in a seriously expensive film. I’m kind of bummed by this Conglomerate Hollywood trend of directly addressing existing fans through a series of endless quotations from the source material. Hopefully the next trailer will show off some originality.

Although the art direction looks nice, the director’s previous efforts don’t inspire confidence.

I didn’t notice at first, but now you say it… it’s true, normal trailer never had that entry, it has been clearly aping the style of youtubers.

If you like this trailer, give us a thumbs up and subscribe for more great content! Thanks for watching guys.

But srsly it wasn’t a total disaster so I call that a win.