Live action Ghost in the Shell - Starring Scarlett Johansson

They suckered me with a Blade Runner-esque cityscape, so points for that.

But their choice for a Depeche Mode song needs work. Clearly ‘Just Can’t Get Enough’ would have been better.

It’s been too long since Johnny Mnemonic.

New trailer for the Super Bowl

No Yoko Kanno, no sale.

They did not save your life…they stole it

Looks like they took her clothes as well.

I know, right? Does she spend the entire movie in a ghillie suit?

Is there a new full trailer coming? This YouTube video is a new 30 second spot and then the existing full trailer.

That is the “new” trailer. The earlier trailer didn’t have the face removal at the end.

Right, I know the face-off is new, that’s part of the 30 seconds at the beginning. After that, the two minute trailer is exactly what’s playing in theaters now.

Between the way even trailers have teasers now, and the way Super Bowl ads show up online in advance of the actual game now, it wasn’t clear to me if that new 30 second spot was the only new “trailer” we were getting this weekend or not. And you may not know the answer either, of course, but that’s what I was asking.

In any case, I really want this to be good, but I worry that re-watching Stand Alone Complex is just setting me up for disappointment.

On the other hand, you get to watch Stand Alone Complex again.

Yeah. Chances of this being in the same tier of quality as SAC are slim indeed.

Frankly it looks like another Ultraviolet but I really hope I’m wrong about that.

The new SB trailer also has, among other things, a Section 9 team shot, but yeah doesn’t offer a ton new. Oh, and the AI tank, which looks very much like a lift from the first anime film.

— Alan

Actually a lot of those shots in the trailer are pretty much lifted straight from the first anime.

Was there a geisha scene in the movie? It’s been ages since I’ve watched the original movie, but that’s definitely in the first episode of SAC. Wasn’t sure if it was original to that series though.

The geisha scene is a mix of GITS 2: Innocence and the manga. The main opponent is apparently Kuze from Stand Alone Complex Season 2, but many of the visuals appear to be from the original GITS movie.

— Alan

No geisha in the movie.

I re-watched the movie recently and while it’s still very pretty, I don’t think it particularly holds up. I should re-watch SAC to see how it compares.

Yeah, no geisha scene, but the shallow water fight scene, some of the action sequences, her drop off the building, her partner with the eye implants, all of that looks straight from the original.

SAC is way better. The movie’s still pretty fun though.