Live action Ghost in the Shell - Starring Scarlett Johansson

If you can find the original fansubs of Stand Alone Complex, those are the best versions available.

It’s crazy how fan subs are almost always superior to the official releases.

And using a revolver. Dude was a pimp.

Please, Mary McGlynn as the Major is some of the best voice acting that has ever existed.

[quote=“ShivaX”]Please, Mary McGlynn as the Major is some of the best voice acting that has ever existed.
[/quote]
Amen. Any time I hear her voice in anything else, I immediately associate that character with the Major. Which can be laughably inappropriate at times.

First five minutes of the movie:

It’s very stylish, but I found it a little confusing. Why did the black suit soldiers have to shoot their way in the room when it was already so compromised with the robot geishas?

I must show my ignorance here. Why does she have a weird full, tan, body suit on, akin to something my grandma would have worn on her “I don’t care days”?

Haven’t watched the clip above yet to see exactly how it’s portrayed, but that’s the stealth suit that can turn her nearly invisible.

Crunchyroll, the anime streaming service, is doing a deal where you get a free ticket to see this movie if you sign up for their premium plan. Basically gives you access to the newest anime and eliminates commercials on the free-to-watch stuff. I’m thinking about it, since I was gonna resubscribe at some point anyway to watch stuff that’s come out in the year or so since I last subscribed.

I just realized her outfit reminds me of Slim Goodbody minus the organs. That’s why I thought it looked odd in the trailer.

This. Part of the issue I had with Arise! was that they used her in a different role and I sincerely struggled to hear her as anything else. SAC 1st and 2nd Gig is so amazing, I can’t recommend it enough. I finally watched the 4? Arise series and the movie; its pretty good, once you can let go of what came before.

I don’t have a lot of hope for the movie but there is always a slugger’s chance for a home run based on the strength of the material.

Just got back from watching it. I don’t think I hate it. But there are some really annoying bordering on infuriating moments. It’s not set in America I think. But there are a lot of white people in Tokyo.

Hashtag stupidf$$kingstudionotes

hashtag originstory

How is it possible for the movie-makers not to specify a setting for the action? Such vagueness is crazy.

They reference the Prime Minister which makes me think Japan. Canada has a Prime Minister but there no mention of hockey in the movie at all so it couldn’t have been Canada.

I need to read the manga again and watch the first Ghost in the Shell again as it takes a lot from the anime which I liked but then they would add things that just frustrated the heck out of me.

And then near the end you don’t need to have watched the anime or read the manga to know what is going to happen to one of the characters.

I also thought the city (Tokyo) looked awful. They went with a certain aesthetic and it really didn’t work for me.

I think it bothers me that the origin isn’t the way that they had it in SAC or 2nd gig (can’t remember which one). That’s just a nerd complaint though.

[quote=“marquac, post:174, topic:76195, full:true”]
They reference the Prime Minister which makes me think Japan. Canada has a Prime Minister but there no mention of hockey in the movie at all so it couldn’t have been Canada.[/quote]

Could it be Australia?!

Oh you know what. They go to a Yakuza bar. Just looked at my notes and saw I wrote that. I suppose there could be Yakuza bars in Australia in the future though.

The anime movie of Ghost in the Shell doesn’t take place in Tokyo, but rather a fictional coastal city (of Japan?) based heavily on Hong Kong.

Ahh. It’s been awhile since I’ve watched the anime in its entirety.

At one point the you’re told in the movie that the Major is the first person to have her brain put into a cybernetic shell. Then you find out differently. Then there is a voiceover at the end of the movie where she says she is the first of her kind.

On the plus side, it’s better than Iron Fist.

Right?

The anime movie does imply she is special somehow via the puppet master chat near the end but they never go into specifics. The movie is just far too short to really establish anything about her backstory.

There were also a few moments that brought back memories of Under the Skin which made me happy.

Even with the issues I had with the movie I’m still glad I saw it and I hope it does well at the box office.

Edit: Glad I saw it, but I would have a hard time recommending it.