Live Arcade Wednesdays

Not going to buy Pac Man since it’s included in Ridge Racer 6. What I really want is Galaxian, damn it.

Hold 'Em on Live would be great. Is that actually coming?

I wonder if it would be legal to allow betting with Microsoft Points or, since they have a real monetary value, that would constitute real gambling. Does it make any legal difference that the Points cannot be converted back into cash or sold to another player?

THAT is fantastic.

And will never, ever happen.

HOWEVER - there’s such a thing as paypal, and honesty among thieves, and we could put together a game amongst this crew and then just agree on the chip assignments.

The saying goes “There is no honor among thieves”.

I was hoping no one would notice that…

Hell even doing it with GAMERpoints would be cool, but IMO they wouldnt do that because (even though they are just points that mean nothing) some kids would game the system and outgamerscore the crazies who have serious 40,000 gamerpoint records.

I don’t know how to PLAY hold’em, but I could stumble about. Can’t possible be harder than UNO… ;)

I just thought of something… we could host entire tournaments on LIVE (though I doubt the system will support that out of the box).

Thanks!

Online gambling is illegal in Washington state (thanks commie fucking state legislature!), so no that will never ever happen.

I was just wondering if that fact that Microsoft Points have no real-world value beyond what they can buy via Xbox Live makes any difference as to the legality of what is actually considered gambling. I guess not.

This is funny since I played Time Pilot at E3 and it was essentially done. It just needed a little tweaking of the Achievements. Microsoft has to stop managing this program like they’re making a trail of breadcrumbs for people to follow.

Well I think it’s smart to stagger the releases to maintain interest but they should have started like… oh, 2-3 weeks after E3.

There’s a new Xbox 360 game released every week next month. Real games, that is, not 20 year old ports. Except for Timeshift (8/1), they’re all exclusives.

What monumentally bad timing for new XBLA releases.

I was at the event thingy tonight. Two small tidbits I thought worth mentioning:

The head of Live Arcade did a little speech, and in it he claimed that they’re going to rapidly increase the release schedule in the coming weeks and months. He said they’re still looking at 50 by the year’s end, and “we’re at about 20 now, so you do the math.” In other words, averaging more than 1 a week to the end of the year. Dunno if that will hold true, but they’re not backing off that 50 number.

Second, this Live Arcade Wednesdays isn’t just for the next few weeks. It seems, and maybe I didn’t hear to well but I’m pretty sure this is what he said, that Live Arcade games will ALWAYS release at 12:01 am pacific time on Wednesdays (0800 GMT). I kind of like that thought, the idea of a set day and time for a certain kind of release. If it’s Wednesday morning and you don’t see whatever Arcade game up there, you know it’s not coming that week. No more guesses and “you said this week but WHEN” stuff.

Well, I’m sure you know that stuff often goes up on PartnerNet when it’s not yet done done. Usually when it gets submitted for certification, but occasionally sooner. Sometimes certification takes a week, sometimes it takes 6 weeks and several submissions. SF2 has been getting major work on the online code since it went up on PartnerNet, supposedly. Have your SF tournaments involved online play, out of curiosity? If so, how’s the network code? I heard bad things about it a couple months ago, but then MS says that capcom made major strides since then, so who knows?

Frogger is out… and if you want it, you’re gonna have to fork over $5.

They actually managed to get 12 achievements out of it.

And co-op play on Live no less.

Too much for frogger. I’d maybe buy pacman at that price if it was ms. pacman.

These prices are total ripoffs when you consider the pricing of disc based compilations with 15+ games on them (20$, and also with updated graphics etc…)

How the fuck does co-op frogger work anyways?

Could they have made the screen any smaller in frogger? Doesn’t look like they have any options to expand it either. It’s downright fucking tiny on my TV.

edit You can stretch it, but only from the in game menu not from main menu it seems. It just distorts the image though to be bigger.

Totally agreed. $5 for Frogger? What are they thinking? What happened to micropayments?

$1.50 for frogger, dawgs.

Agreed. I know they’re re-doing the graphics on these old games a little bit (usually) and doing online leaderboards and stuff, but I wouldn’t put $5 into most actual coin-ops and I don’t want to pay that much for them on Live Arcade.

I think $1.50 might be pushing it, given that it’s not just a plain 'ol emulation. There are achievements and stuff involved. But $2.50 each sounds about right. 200 points each. Or if they really need to put $5 price tags on things, bundle two games together (how would the achievements work for that? 200 points for the bundle, or 200 for each game?).

I have a personal love of Galaga that will make me gladly pay $5 for it, but I’ve spent more than $5 on it in bars and stuff over the last year anyway.

Nice that SF2 is $10 though. That’s a nice price, considering the online play and stuff (assuming that works well). I was expecting $15 for that one.