Live streaming on YouTube and Twitch every Mon, Wed, and Fri at 6pm Pacific!

Ahhh, that’s thinkin’! I’ll have to remember that in 8-10 years when this one breaks.

I watched most of Tom’s stream. Still not sure if it’s for me. It looks like a good game, the main thing for me is the mental effort and time it may take to basically learn what’s going on. I have been so close to pulling the trigger.

I can recommend FOG2 for those interested in ancients warfare, and you get a nice discount on Empires if you have or buy FOG2 with it.

Happy Friday! Tonight Tom is again streaming Field of Glory: Empires - Steam link.
More Fields, More Glory, More Empires!

header

You can find the Twitch stream here.

You can find the non-night mode YouTube stream here.

And you can find the YouTube night mode stream here.

Voting for Request Wednesday is now open so if you’d like Tom to stream a game that’s on Steam or that he owns on PS4, why not stop by and vote for what game Tom will stream on Wednesday.

What an interesting stream. :p

Hey, as long as you guys have fun, that’s all I care about!

-Tom

Some of gals even had fun… it was a good stream tonight.

And for what it’s worth, you’re completely right about “interesting” - though in the particular case of Total War’s combat I lack a better word for my problem. It doesn’t hold my attention (again, once I’m past the “wow” factor) and I’m not sure why.

One of my favorite things is games that provide a strategic context for their tactical game, it’s one reason I’m so fond of the Age of Wonders series, or Dark Crusade, of the old Close Combat games. Total War drives me crazy because it looks like exactly what I want (and it generally covers periods of history I find interesting, too) but in practice I always seem to bounce right off of it.

And I agree with Kristi that was a good stream for what appears to be an otherwise excellent game in dire need of some AI updates. I hope it gets them, but my initial enthusiasm has definitely turned to caution after your experience.

If you haven’t tried Three Kingdoms yet - do try it. I had the same feeling about the game and Romance mode made it all make sense. You have deeper than usual strategic part and slightly simpler combat. However there’s a greater connection between the two. All your troops are tied to a hero, and heroes do a lot of stuff on the strategic level. It also makes armies somewhat more even and manual combat more interesting: even a lone hero can be a terrifying foe. On the other hand you don’t really lose regiments till you lose an army so you can be more bold in combat and care about saving beaten armies.

I know you mean well but, to borrow a line from Futurama: “Fool me 7 times, shame on you. Fool me 8 or more times, shame on me.” I’ve been down the “just try the new one” road a lot, and I’ve finally learned to stop throwing good money at these things no matter how appealing they look.

I’m more likely to revisit Warhammer, since there’s a lot more variety in the combat there. It irks me, in that usually I’ll take a historical setting over a fantasy one any day, but in the particular case of total war the combat engine seems to desperately need the variety.

Makes total sense.

Honestly the combat in Three Kingdoms is the worst thing about it. By that I mean while it is no way bad or dysfunctional it’s just so, so “Total War”, so clearly the nth iteration of the same riff they’ve been doing for 10 years. Multiplayer in 3K for ex. is so stupidly imbalanced the community all but considers it DOA. If you didn’t like the combat in Atilla or Rome 2 or whatever, you’re really not going to like the combat in 3K.

Even combat in the quasi-historic “Records Mode” is arguably more Warhammer than Warhammer in practice.

Wonder what you mean but this is not the place for it.

I consider this game to be the only great TW. And this is in a big part cause there they decided that tactical layer is less important than strategic one, kinda like FOGE. Previously they insisted on making dozens of units you should know of with marginal differences. Now it’s color coded and straightforward, battles are quick. It’s a single game, not two.

This is really nicely put, I’ve argue since Medieval that CA were misunderstanding what was interesting about their games. It’s not that they are tactical battles with a strategic layer wrapping them. It’s that they are strategic games with tactical battle resolution.

Total War: Three Kingdoms is the first game where I felt CA might agree with me.

Any late owls running around – JM is on twitch running his crazy jukebox playing a zombie game. I just got back from a late evening and am over there now.

Requesting space songs since I just saw “first man” and I have to say --those thee men may have been the bravest 3 men in the history of this world.

Jm is now playing a “auto chess” game and explaining. Late owls …

Happy Monday! Tonight our very own Tom Chick is streaming Interstellar Space : Genesis - Steam link

You can find the Twitch stream here.

You can find the non-night mode YouTube stream here.

And you can find the YouTube night mode stream here.

Voting for Request Wednesday is open so if you’d like Tom to stream a game that’s on Steam or that he owns on PS4, why not stop by and vote for what game Tom will stream on Wednesday. The winner will be picked tonight at 10pm eastern.

Just FYI for you and @marquac, Youtube night mode was part of Youtube Gaming which was killed 2 months ago now, so your night mode links just lead to regular youtube links now. No night mode.

Ah, I was wondering if that was just because YouTube was discriminating against me because I’m from Canada. It sucks to lose night mode, I liked the bigger screen and the longer chat window. Thanks for letting me know, @Rock8man, you’re good people. :)

You can still enable night mode my turning your monitor off.

Drilling some holes will let most of the light out.

I have night mode. Hmm or its called Dark Theme now.