Occasional livestreaming [was Live streaming on YouTube and Twitch every Mon, Wed, and Fri at 6pm Pacific!]

Well, well, well, look what’s on my desk:

I actually have it around for the music. It’s one of those old school CD-ROM games where you can just pop it into a CD player and it’ll play the soundtrack. I should probably rip it one of these days. As for actually running the game, man, who knows whether that would work. But if I could get an older game from that era going, and specifically one by Holistic, I think Merchant Prince would be less of a mess.

-Tom

FYI, I just tried to record Emperor of the Fading Suns myself and nothing would capture it. Not OBS (full screen or windowed), not Shadowplay, not even FRAPS. If you somehow get it to work could you pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease let me know what you did to capture it? :-)

Also, if you can’t get your disk version to work, try this one:

https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao

Hey Tom, love the live streams. I watched all of the DS3 content, it got me through a bout of strep throat.
Also I find your live commentary strangely relaxing and I just realized it’s probably because I listen to all my podcasts at 1.5x time compression, including the Qt3 games and movie podcasts.

Thanks so much for the compliment, Fortitudo. And I’m glad there’s a solution to our inadvertently epic-length podcasts. :) By the way, if you want me to sound even more relaxing, I’d probably be downright soporific at .5x time!

I’m streaming Stories: Paths of Destinies – which doesn’t suck, or I’d be playing something else! – in ten minutes. The stream will necessarily include minor story spoilers for the early game, but you can’t really appreciate what this game does without knowing how the stories unfold. So, take my word for it that it doesn’t suck, or check out the stream.

-Tom

This one requests Twilight Struggle.

Oh, I am wallowing in Twilight Struggle right now like a pig rolling around in delicious mud.

Stories: Path of Destinies seemed to go well tonight, but I always feel like I haven’t shown enough of a game. I’m sure I’ll feel doubly that way tomorrow with:

Crazy 1 vs 100 arcade/action fighting in the context of a s00per serious strategy game brimming with Japanese names that I won’t be able to pronounce or remember.

-Tom

Great videos, Tom! I’ve have only seen a couple of them, but I’ll surely try to watch all. And I don’t normally watch Let’s Plays or streamings of gaming sessions or such.

That being said, I would like to see something at which Tom is especially good. Real time strategies, for example! :) Something that I wouldn’t play unless Tom convinces me otherwise. Something underrated. Hm, Kohan maybe.

Thanks Brian for your encouragement ;) And that is weird you can’t get it to record, it’s just a game on a screen like any other right?

@Tom, i’m very jealous you have an original disk, my version was from the old home of over cats (hidden real name) site, but i agree that the music is very awesome, i did make digital copies of that and have it in my music lists. You did that guide for EoFS right, like the one true source of info on playing that game. It is interesting you’d prefer to play Merchant Prince, is EoFS that much of a mess? (granted i can not work it out enough to play it comfortably, so that indeed might be the problem if it is a ‘broken’ game).

I wish it were that simple, but certain combinations of versions of directx and other factors can prevent a game from being picked up entirely. It’s definitely more acutely a problem with games from the late 90s/eaely 2000s as well. When a game won’t be picked up with even the most basic display capture mode, it’s reallllllllllly frustrating.

Tomorrow’s stream:

Plus a game giveaway. Show up at 7pm to win a copy of Renowned Explorers or Grim Dawn. I’m giving away keys for both games. Two randomly determined viewers will win them!

-Tom

Oh man I have neither of those, will possibly be out of town though :(

Hey Tom, what are you using to produce those shots and in particular adding the text? Adding a smidgen of drop shadow and/or outer glow and/or stroke to the text layer as a layer effect will markedly improve readability against some of the background images. Presumably whatever you are using will allow you to add layer effects…

Like so:

Just find a combination that maintains the style you are shooting for, but helps keep the text readable.

Tom,

Any chance of another Dark Souls 3 live stream? It will be great to see where you are up to, that is if you have played any more.

We could even join in to help you as some co-op play. I am available Monday-Wednesday night next week.

Chappers.

I’m looking forward to the Far Cry Primal stream tonight. Tom’s stream might inspire a resurgence of Far Cry 2 at Qt3, like his Dark Souls 3 stream let to a rekindling of Dark Souls, the original.

Far Cry Primal survivor mode streaming starts in five minutes. I’ll be giving away copies of Grim Dawn and Renowned Explorers at 7pm Pacific to randomly chosen viewers.

Excellent! I think I can find how to do those things in Photoshop, which is as new to me as all this other video stuff! Thanks for the tip. I had a bear of a time trying to get the text more readable. So drop shadow, outer glow, and stroke. I’ll definitely play with those.

Possibly, but at this point I’m kind of experimenting more with variety. I did a whole week of Dark Souls 3. Do people prefer someone sticking with a game for along time, or do they prefer smaller samplings of more games? I have no idea.

Oh man, I’d love an excuse to get back in Far Cry 2. A.k.a. the best Far Cry of Them All. Actually, hmm, that might need to go on the list.

One thing I’d like to work out is a way for people to get to vote or pick what I play on certain nights. Is that something streamers do? Take votes or draw lots to let someone pick something? The interactivity of this whole thing is what’s most surprised me and I’d like to explore more ways to push that.

-Tom

Did you get waylaid Tom? Is there a technical snafu? Stream hasn’t started yet.

Oh, Krazykroc, you and Baron reload the page. The stream is at a different link and has been going. We’ve been missing it!

Refresh your stream, guys. Then you should get it.

Once it’s time for streaming, make sure to reload every couple of minutes so that you pick up the stream or you can wind up missing it.