LO-MAC in stores... anyone get a copy yet?

Any thoughts or impressions? I’ve heard on the official boards that it was out.

Yes. More raiding of the PC game and PS2 game closet, nets me LOMAC for a grand total of +$12 on my EB gift card (love that $3 bonus for every traded-in item against new products).

Haven’t installed it, busy defragging.

–scharmers

What? You get $3 credit just for trading in a game? Do you also get some cash for the game, too, or is it just the credit? I might have to clean out my closet too.

Now, what happens is this:

1. We all know that you can trade games in for store credit at EB.
  2. Each game has some value. For example, one crusty PS2 game I traded in was only worth $2 in trade-in value. But a newer game, like the Sims Deluxe I traded in, was worth $11.
  3. HOWEVER, if you trade in games for credit AND immediately apply that credit toward a new release (ONLY), you get an extra $3 trade-in value for EACH game. So, since I immediately traded in my games and used their value for LOMAC, that crusty PS2 game now has $5 trade in value toward LOMAC, and the Sims was now $14. In the end, I ended up not only getting LOMAC for “free” (it was $40), but had an additional $12 credit to my EB gift card. This $3 thing toward new games is new, and very nice.
  4. You don’t get cash. Any extra value (or if you just choose to trade in games and save the credit for later time – not recommended since you don’t get the $3 bonus in immediately applying the credit to a new release) goes on an EB gift card, which you can use in EB.

–scharmers

Sweet. I’ll probably stop using e-bay and just wait until something new that comes out that I want to purchase. Thanks for the head’s up!

Has there been any more news on that 3rd party LOMAC manual ?

I’ve read on the official forums that the first 500 manuals are sold out, and another 500 batch will be ready for sale in mid-December.

Aren’t those supposed to be called strategy guides?

What’s LOMAC, please?

Peter

Hehe, for some reason I find it ironic that there’s a release date for a flight sim manual!

So is this game any good? or is it a stinker like that Strategy First Strike Force Alpha sim.

etc

Lock On Modern Air Combat.

etc

Hehe, for some reason I find it ironic that there’s a release date for a flight sim manual!

The included manual is pretty goddamn pathetic. Jane’s F-18 manual was small, but they managed to pack a ton of shit in it (with a very small font, naturally). UbiSoft sims suffer not only from small booklet size, but there’s lots of white space and most of it is taken up with details on unimportant crap (flight info in IL-2 FB and mission editor stuff in LOMAC). The full manual is in PDF. The readme.txt is about six pages of errata to that manual. Gross.

So is this game any good? or is it a stinker like that Strategy First Strike Force Alpha sim.

It’s good, maybe more than just good, but it’s obviously not a big budget production. For example, we already know about the manual. Ubisoft didn’t even skimp on a printed key card! The presentation in the UI is pretty much “here you go”. The training missions don’t even have voice overs for the text, for crying out loud. This is a bare-bones hardcore sim that is going to turn newbies off like blown-out candles. To flight-sim grogs, it’s crack.

And, unlike that abortion of a “sim” called SF:P1, it seems pretty much actually ready for release.

–scharmers

oh, baby. Now I’m excited. Got to get me some of that LOMAC, baby.

Eb Games screwed up my preorder, so I might have to pick it up sometime over the weekend. Switched my preorder to X2 The Threat, so not a total loss.

Any first impressions?

Thanks. I have just ordered my manual. It’s a beautiful manual. Well worth the cost.

UbiSoft sims suffer not only from small booklet size, but there’s lots of white space and most of it is taken up with details on unimportant crap (flight info in IL-2 FB and mission editor stuff in LOMAC).

As long as there’s room in the back for those blank pages with “Notes” written at the top. Because a lot of times I’m playing a game and I think ‘damn, I really with I had someplace to jot down a few notes’.

-Tom

“NOTES”

You do know that there’s a technical reason for those blank “notes” pages, having to do with printing presses, things like that, right?

So Steve, next time an ad or an article drops, you should just put a blank “notes” page in the back of the magazine.

;)

By the way… since LOMAC was shipped without a keyboard reference card - WTF!!! - I’ve made one.

http://www.coregamer.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=48&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0

Hope that helps anybody who’s reviewing this thing. Gosh, they could have at least given us a PDF one to print out ourselves, eh?

I heard there was on teh cd in teh DOCS folder.