Local Elections

1st Tuesday of November, so a few states have local elections going on. Don’t forget to check it out today.

In PA, we are voting on judges, and an amendment expanding victims rights. I think I am going to vote against it. At issue for me is the concept of innocent until proven guilty. If victims rights supercede the accused, then haven’t we already made the decision of guilt?

Also, it probably will be used to hurt the poor and further force people into making pleas instead of having a trial.

Going to be a fascinating day to watch the Virginia Assembly and the gubernatorial race in Kentucky. Virginia has a chance to flip both houses of the Assembly perhaps, and the Democrat could win the Kentucky governor’s race.

Yeah, the law seems unconstitutional, in that it says an accuser does not need to give a deposition under cross examination by the defense, or go through discovery. That seems like it’s a recipe to deny rights to the accused.

Around here we have just a school funding question, which I’m sure will pass. Still, I’ll go over this afternoon and add my vote. There are also some mayoral races around the greater West Michigan area. These off-off-year elections never get much turnout, of course, so the old-people-who-always-vote contingent will likely keep the same-old, same-old going.

Voted earlier today, on the way to work. Changed to paper ballots in York county this year. I voted at St. David’s, just south of West Manheim Elementary, and they only had 1 scanner. They’ll need more next year or it’ll be a disaster.

Oh, and I agree, that law is bogus. The writing on the ballot seemed very screwed as pro-initiative, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it passes.

I was pleased to see only a few positions that had people running unopposed. Usually, I just write iny wife’s name.

Oh, and I had the option to vote for a dead person! I think I did.

The one vote that bugged me was school board. I could vote for up to 5 people, but only 5 people where running. So, I refused to vote for that one.

I also had to vote for 3 commissioners, but only had 4 options. Rather then vote for any of the 3 Republicans, I voted once again wrote in my wife and the my father in law.

@grahamiam, I didn’t know you were a fellow York County Resident.

Here’s the thread stolen from reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/dryju5/discussion_thread_statewide_elections_november/

Kentucky

Gov. Matt Bevin (R), state Attorney General Andy Beshear (D), and John Hicks (L) are running in Kentucky’s gubernatorial election on November 5, 2019. This election follows nearly four years of conflict between Bevin and Beshear, which began when each was elected to his current position. The main issues in the race are healthcare and education funding.

Polls are open 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. To find your polling location click here.

For a full list of KY elections happening today, sample ballots, and absentee/early voting information, click here.

Mississippi

State Attorney General Jim Hood (D), Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves (R), Bob Hickingbottom (Constitution), and David Singletary (I) are running for governor of Mississippi in a November 5, 2019, election. Term limits prevent incumbent Phil Bryant (R) from seeking re-election, leaving the seat open to a newcomer.

Reeves defeated former state Supreme Court Chief Justice William Waller (R) in an August 27 runoff after no candidate won a majority of the vote in the Republican primary.

Polls are open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. To find your polling location, click here.

For a full list of MS elections happening today, sample ballots, and absentee/early voting information, click here.

Virginia

Democrats and Republicans are fighting for control of the Virginia State Senate. The GOP holds a 21-19 majority, with all 40 seats up for election on Nov. 5, 2019. The elections are occurring against the backdrop of the 2017 state House elections when Democrats gained 15 seats. Gov. Ralph Northam (D) won 25 of the 40 senate districts in the 2017 gubernatorial election.

The outcome of the elections will determine control of Virginia’s government when congressional and state legislative district lines are redrawn after the 2020 Census. If Republicans retain control of the Senate or the state House, they will have a seat at the redistricting table. If Democrats win both chambers of the legislature, they will have a trifecta and full control of the government during redistricting. Gov. Northam will serve through 2021 and can veto new maps.

Polls are open 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. To find your polling location, click here.

For a full list of VA elections happening today, sample ballots, and absentee/early voting information, click here.

New Jersey

A special election for District 1 of the New Jersey State Senate will take place today. A primary was held on June 4, 2019. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 1, 2019.

The seat became vacant after Jeff Van Drew (D) won election to New Jersey’s 2nd Congressional District in the U.S. House on November 6, 2018. Bob Andrzejczak (D) was appointed to fill the seat until a special election can be held. In New Jersey, special elections coincide with the next general election unless the vacancy occurs within 51 days of the election.

Polls are open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. To find your polling location, click here.

For a full list of NJ elections happening today, sample ballots, and absentee/early voting information, click here.

That’s not all!

There are also statewide elections taking place in:

Click the links for each state for voting information.

Local Elections

Don’t forget, there are also many local elections taking place today as well. To see if there is an election happening in your district, county, city or town, check here!

To check your voter registration status, click here.

Use the comment section to discuss the elections, and remember to get out and vote!

Voted at 7:30 this morning. Just local mayor, city council, a couple of judge spots. Democrats didn’t even bother running a sheriff candidate.

Nothing of any widespread consequence here, though the big local issue is a bill to build new schools for our district. The buildings are ~100 years old and have already been through multiple renovations and additions and it’s sorely needed. However, the tax ask combined with the asks for the other operating levies that are being lumped together in the same issue are causing a lot of concern - mostly with the older crowd who doesn’t and won’t have kids using the schools, and those living in the (wealthier) neighboring village that uses our district. There’s been a lot of disinformation and fearmongering which has me concerned.

We have a couple of ballot initiatives here in Colorado. One allows the state to keep some of the excess tax revenue that was previously refunded to citizens per something called ‘TABOR’ here in the state. Essentially, TABOR says that the government cannot raise taxes without a statewide vote, and that all revenue in excess of expenses is to be refunded to the citizens. Sounds good, but it is mostly a disaster and makes funding pretty much anything in the state impossible. This ballot proposition would at least allow the state to save a little cash for a rainy day. I will eat my shorts if it passes. Coloradans, even with the blueness of the state now, just don’t vote for these sorts of things.

The second ballot initiative is in regards legalizing and taxing sports betting. The taxed money would go to water initiatives in the state (Which is a major issue out west). Not sure if this one is going to pass or not.

For super local races, my area is in a knockdown brawl between candidates over fracking - so you see city council and mayoral races getting a huge amount of industry money pumped into them - far more than you would typically see. That is fun to watch.

Virginia has elections each and every year, no matter what.

This year is the local election year, which means that the county supervisor, school board, and soil & conservation posts are up… as well as the state senators and house of delegates.

The supervisor, school board and conservation posts are all “non-partisan” posts… which means that there is no “R” or “D” next to their name. Of course they are all super-partisan positions and both the Dems and the GOP do endorsements and assist in the campaigns. So what this means is that people go into the polls with the intention of voting the party line, but then they get into the booth and find that they have no idea which candidate stands for what.

I’m the precinct captain for my little area and as I do every year I go out there at 0530 and set up our little tent, ready to hand out the sample ballots. This year is nice because (for once) it’s not raining. Surprisingly, the Republicans have a big presence outside with us this year… typically they don’t fight too hard for my precinct. Part of that is the lack of party ID on the ballot – they reckon they can steal some votes away from the inattentive or lazy.

Also, today was the first election that my youngest daughter was able to vote in. Lots of selfies.

Tin, how’s turnout so far?

Numbers wise, the count at 10:00 was 11% of the electorate, just a third of the way through the day. We typically expect less that 20% turnout on the odd-year elections.

For comparison’s sake at 10:00 back in 2018, the turnout was 22%.

Voted here in Northern Virginia (VA10). Go Team Blue! I cheated and used the Dem sample ballot.

So Kentucky has a mini-electoral college thing going. The Democrat could win the popular vote by up to 9% and still lose the election. Cool!

Edit - nope, I meant Mississippi.

They have this, of course, to minimize the power of black voters.

SEE?! Voter fraud! Need ID, need fewer polling stations, NEED A WALL!

In PA, we had our voting machines replaced with optical scanning ballots, which you then scan yourself after filling out, presumably to make sure it scans. But you don’t see what votes it recorded, so you don’t know if it scanned it correctly. But they keep the paper ballot.

At 4:30, my Richmond precinct was at about 33% voter participation. House, Senate, Commonwealth Attorney & Councilcritter on the ballot.

That’s the same system in my neck of the woods in Ohio (not Marion, fwiw)