Locke & Key - Unlock the Netflix Adaptation

I mean, the show is waaay more aimed at teens than the comic.

Have you watched I Am Not Okay With This? Another show that is clearly aimed at a specific age group, a bit older than Locke and Key.

No, but I intend to give it a try.

Uh no. The very first issue features a bloody rape, shooting, graphic head bashing with a brick, and an axe cleaving a dude’s skull.

Yeah, I just want to reiterate: the comic is a brilliant, subtle, emotionally complex and really insidiously horrific horror story, with flashes of wild fancy from the keys. I haven’t watched the whole show yet but the vibe is way more CW as of episode 3 or so. It’s not quite as bowdlerized as Chilling Adventures of Sabrina has been, but if you liked the show, you owe it to yourself to read the comic. If you don’t like the show, I even more strongly recommend the comic, unless of course you just aren’t into the premise at all.

Sorry. As I said in my comment, I haven’t read the comic. I should have said the SHOW was about and for teens.

I read the series 3 years ago or so and loved it but the memories have faded with time. I really enjoyed the show but I think that was sort of from my faint remembrances of the comic. My wife hasn’t read it and she enjoyed the show but didn’t really like the characters near as much with only the show. Me I was always poor Kinsey. Her story just always resonated with me in the books. I just re-read again and wow it is such an amazing story. While I’m glad for the show and did enjoy it reading the books again just blew me away. Brilliant stuff. I recommend both, the show as a distillation but the books are where it’s at. All except the last volume are on Kindle unlimited so if you have a sub check them out.

Watched through this while bedridden today. Thoroughly mediocre. Full of characters making obviously stupid decisions given what knowledge they had so that lazy writers could up the stakes. Completely bailed landing.

Why in God’s name have the ghost of ancestral patriarch there if nobody is going to ask him any questions about the crazy mysteries they’re trying to solve and survive? Ugh.

Yeah, the writing is a bit weak and there are definitely some stupid decisions being made. Otherwise, its a fun show to watch.

I’m at episode 6 so I suppose I’m locked in to finish it (hur hur), but at this point I’m kind of hate watching it. I actively dislike every single major character. What a neat premise and striking location (fake, but cool looking) ruined for me by writing that really bugs me. At every opportunity for something interesting, logical, or exciting, the show veers completely in the opposite direction.

I found it a bit frustrating also. And be forewarned … you’re probably not gonna like the ending!

Season 2 is out.

I’m going to end up watching this, god damnit.

I vaguely remember enjoying season 1 but I can’t for the life of me remember anything about it. Some kids with magic keys and an interesting baddie. laughs. I’ll give season 2 a whirl, maybe it’ll come back to me.

I didn’t enjoy season one, but I’m not really sure why. Almost everything I didn’t like about it came from the comic, which I really liked. Maybe I just have more tolerance for teen angst in comics form.

I had not read the comic. My 15 year old daughter and I watched and it seemed to drag and get kinda tedious. I would have given up, but she wanted to continue despite not enjoying it much.

She came in the living room over the weekend and said Season 2 was out and did I want to watch. I groaned internally , but agreed to if she wanted. Then she laughed and said, “Uh, no”.

It did not start Season Two well. I thought the first episode was pretty weak.

The comic had some very striking visuals (like the view inside Dodge’s head) that I can’t imagine practically any TV show doing, let alone one with the amateurish production values this one had.

I enjoyed it a lot. Came at a time when I needed that magic and mystery and it hit a lot of good notes. Hopefully Season 2 holds up.

Okay. They got me with this one.