Locke (Tom Hardy in a car)

Hey Tom, good to see you watched and liked Locke. So did I. Got a question for you: After watching it, we found it hard to explain the title of the movie. Is it just the guys’ name or would it have something to do with the 17th century english philosopher John Locke? What are your thoughts on that?

The character’s name is Ivan Locke. I know he’s frequently referred to by his first name, but do they never say his last name in the movie?

-Tom

Tom,

I thought the nurse was best, as well as both sons. Locke’s wife was great, too. I didn’t really feel convinced by Donal or Gareth, the two guys who worked with Locke. They just had this slight “I’m reading lines” edge to their voice acting. Bethan sounded right to my ear, too.

He just says “Ivan Locke” when he answers a call from his coworkers. I only point that out because for some reason I loved every time he did it.

One of my favourite things about the movie is the variegated visuals from passing nighttime scenery and lights. It’s amazing how they’re quite enough to sustain visual interest throughout the whole movie, and also immersive and evocative (because we’ve all taken such journeys ourselves and we’re reminded of the reality, we’re there in the car with him).

Same here, absolutely. Also loved the intermittent use of the rumble strips. They seemed metaphorical. And the passing police cars, which added an ominous touch to everything. I kept wondering if there was going to be a zombie outbreak up ahead in London.

Locke 2: The Outbreak

-Tom

…and then you could shoot it entirely within a tank with him communicating with all of the other characters over the radio. Pure genius!

Note: I loved Locke, so don’t take the above the wrong way.

Reported.

So glad this thread got bumped. I hadn’t heard of this movie but it’s right up my alley. It’s streaming on Netflix right now.

My reaction:

-xtien

This actually sent me down a garden path, especially with Hardy’s expression after it. I thought for a while the “in England” thing was a pointed comment given him being Welsh. I thought Donal had got in a van with a bunch of chancers and it wasn’t Stefan at all.