Logan (MMXVII A.D.)

First trailer for Jackman’s final Wolverine movie dropped this morning.

Apparently I have to have 15 characters for a topic now. Thanks Discourse.

Who would have thought Boston’s airport could ever headline a movie? These are wonderful times we live in.

I’ve never read the source material Old Man Logan comics, but that trailer looks pretty damn good. Better than any of the previous standalone Wolverine movies, that’s for sure. And of course it’s got Johnny Cash’s Hurt cover going for it. That’s like emotional catnip.

Where does this fit into the movies’ timeline?

I don’t know anything beyond what we see in the trailer, but that certainly seems to indicate “much later”.

I read the original Old Man Logan, when it was a story set in the distant future where an aging Wolverine is bullied by a gang of redneck inbred descendants of the Hulk, so he sets off on a cross country road trip teaming up with an old blind Hawkeye, where they escape from a Venom symbiote bonded to a tyrannousarus rex, rescue Peter Parker’s daughter, and eventually Wolverine fights the Red Skull.

It’s safe to assume almost nothing at all from this movie will resemble that plot, but the general setting of an old tired Wolverine in a post-apocalyptic/western setting where most of the heros have vanished looks similar.

More recently, “regular” Logan died in the comics, then during the Secret Wars event in 2015 a whole bunch of alternate timeline/dimension versions of the characters were brought together temporarily and then a few of them made it into the new ongoing continuity. So they brought that older Wolverine from the original Old Man Logan in for some standalone stories and now I think he’s running around again in regular continuity. I haven’t read those stories or the current series bearing the name, but I also assume nothing too specific from those stories will make it into this movie, partially because of how integrated the comics are with all the stuff Fox can’t use, and partially because those stories have mostly spun out of events that probably happened more recently than the script for this movie.

All of that said, I’m interested in this movie and impressed that it looks like at least a bit of a departure from the other X-Men movies. If the third act holds together better than The Wolverine, I may have a new favorite.

Ha ha what? Redneck inbred descendants of the Hulk fighting AARP Wolverine? That’s even better than an airport!

They drive the Spider-Mobile (did I forget to mention that’s what they used for their road trip?) through the skeleton of Giant Man out in the desert. It was bonkers, but I liked it.

OK I had to look this up because it sounds too good to be true but you’re not even telling the whole story - it’s a road trip buddy story with old Logan and a blind Hawkeye, who does all the driving? This might be the best thing I’ve ever heard of!

The Bub of Eli.

LIKE! Stupid Discourse.

So I’m completely out of the loop. Is he ‘Old Man Logan’ because he lived a really long time? Does he have that power too? Or is it some sort of alternate timeline thingy (that’s the technical term for sure)?

Even in the movie-verse, he pre-dates WW2 significantly.

Yeah, I guess I recall that, now that you mention it. Wasn’t that the intro sequence in the Wolverine movie (I suspect I purged those brain cells). So what’s his lifespan (and tell the truth, if he’s “old” but Prof X is still alive and kicking, it can’t be THAT far in the future).

He’s already lived a very long time, if you saw X-Men Origins: Wolverine, there’s the opening montage of Wolverine and Sabertooth fighting together in a bunch of wars as far back as the U.S. Civil War at least (not the Marvel Civil War).

So the implication (in the comic) is he also outlives most of the current heroes too, and eventually through one cataclysm or another most of the US is carved up into little kingdoms run by villains (many unseen in the story, just referenced), many of the heroes were killed or went into hiding.

It’s not super far into the future, Hawkeye is still around as an old man. But the years are piling up on Logan, so he’s still better off than Hawkeye, but he’s also not as quick or invincible as he used to be. And he’s been keeping to himself and not fighting for various reasons that come out in the story.

I’m guessing the movie plays it kind of similarly if Professor X is still alive. Logan’s still a powerful dude, but he’s starting to slow down a little too.

Wolverine lives longer than almost everybody else because of his healing factor. It helps keep him young.

I just read the wiki synopsis of old man Logan, and it’s a hilarious sounding plot.

Am more intrigued by this than the previous Wolverine movies. Which were pretty bad. Also, the combo of Beard-Jackman and the girl has a bit of a Last-of-Us vibe to it.

But then again, same goes for pretty much every other comic book synopsis, IMO.

Yeah, a definite The Last of Us, and by “Us” I Mean Mutants thing here.

New full trailer. NSFW language warning.

Ah, so it’s not set in a far-future post apocalyptic wasteland! It’s just Texas.