Logan (MMXVII A.D.)

Possibly arizona.

That makes sense, thought it must still be a ways into the future somehow.

The trailer song is Way Down We Go by Kaleo if anyone else was curious.

That’s a damned fine trailer.

The convenience store is selling air fresheners with Texan flags and I Heart TX.

Yes, that. I suppose they may be self-hating Arizonians that don’t want to mess with Texas.

Just realized the trailer I linked to wasn’t the “red band” trailer, this is the slightly different one that needs the NSFW warning on the language:

Officially rated R now.

Thanks, Deadpool.

I mean, it’s silly that a superhero who’s basic power is getting hurt real bad and coming back from it, oh, and don’t forget his knife hands, has pretty much only been in movies for kids.

Still, superheroes should be also for kids, otherwise 90’s grimdark that way lays, and I don’t want to see whatever movie equivalent that will be…

Wasn’t this rated R some time ago?

Also, I read this is actually a different universe than the other X titles, which I thought was interesting.

It was announced a while back that it was going to target an R rating, but it didn’t officially get its MPAA rating until just now.

Reading between the lines in some recent interviews, that was the goal through all of production, but they backed down a little from talking about/advertising it as rated R because the MPAA doesn’t like someone deciding what a movie is going to be rated before they do.

I think the “different universe” remarks were also walked back as something taken out of context, it’s still in X-Men movie continuity.

Man, the trailers are so good. I so hope this is 2/3 as good as it looks like it could be.

Possibly. What I’m referring to is only a few days old, though.

This is off to a monstrous start at Rotten Tomatoes: 58/3 for 95%. This is almost certainly due to the fact that Richard E Grant is in the movie. Stunningly visual developments, in any case.

NSFW language!

Patrick Stewart is done as Professor X.

I’m so surprised and happy that this is getting rave reviews. And, having finally just finished The Last Of Us a few days ago (holy crap, what a total masterpiece that game is,) I’m even more excited for this one.

I saw the preview screening here in Australia last night - and for what it’s worth I thought it was great; and that’s coming from someone who hasn’t seen the previous stand-alone Wolverine movies nor cared that much for the other X-Men movies either. It’s well paced, looks fantastic, and the girl is really good. Plus it’s nice to watch an R-rated superhero movie - definitely helps the “grit” factor. The soundtrack is good too (although “Hurt” doesn’t actually feature ;).

PS: I’m pretty sure they say the date is 2029 in the movie.

Do you have to know anything at all about XMen or Wolverine movies beyond the first two XMen movies (2000, 2003) in order to enjoy or understand this one?