Logan (MMXVII A.D.)

Definitely not. It’s in its own stand-alone universe. If you have even basic familiarity with the Wolverine character you’re way ahead of what’s needed.

That’s overstating things, it’s not in a “standalone universe”. But from everything I’ve seen and read, I assume your advice is sound: you don’t need to have kept up with every iteration of the franchise, or even most of them.

Yes it is. Although Jackman and Stewart are playing characters they’ve played before, the setting is not the same as the other X-men movies. It’s an alternate reality in the future.

Are you thinking of the confusing interview that had people thinking that based on remarks from Jackman? Mangold clarified it’s in continuity. We discussed it in this thread, so unless you’ve heard something more recent, I’m pretty certain it’s in continuity.

That was basically me going in - so I’d say no, you do not need to know anything beyond that (or even that to be honest - you learn all you need to know about the characters in the first few minutes). It is very much a stand-alone movie.

This turned out to be a boon - my wife and daughter (who have only ever come along with my son and I for one super hero flick; My wife saw Deadpool with us and loved it) want to see this with us Saturday morning. So it’s going to be interesting what their take on it will end up being.

Just got back from watching it. Reckon its probably the best xmen movie since x2… I’d say it really feels like a good violent finale to the x-men franchise. Basically: put a fork in it, its done.

Spoiler about the rest of the gang!

Since Logan and Charles are the only ones left alive of the X-Men gang (the rest die before the movie starts), this is definitely the end of that whole storyline and could easily have been given a full X-Men title.

This was great. Also an even better use of its R rating than Deadpool.

Deadpool was mostly about the gore and the language, while Logan had all that, but it was also “unsafe” in the way an R rated film can be. No rules about who will survive or what will happen. Which is great for the movie, but ugh, that poor family on the farm.

This is coming out soon, right?

Btw, big props to @WhollySchmidt. I usually hate the thread titles in the Movie subforum, but this thread is really well named.

Out tomorrow (Friday) in the US, so I caught one of the normal night-before screenings.

Also, no post-credits scene, FYI.

The post credits scene is at the start of the movie.

This my favourite movie I have so far seen this year.

Same here, sorry Split.

I love what you said about the R rating, Wholly. Still on a bit of a high after watching the movie. I would say it’s my favorite of the “X” franchise.

It started in the first big fight Laura’s involved in, but it wasn’t about the henchmen getting sliced up. When we clearly see an 11-year old girl get harpooned through the chest I started paying attention. I know people will give that a pass, it’s not really a child in peril when the kid is basically invincible, but that still breaks the rules in a way most mainstream movies won’t, and I don’t just mean compared to other comic book movies.

In the couple hours since the movie, it also occurred to me that whether by accident or intentionally, Fox found something they can give us that Marvel Studios probably never will: an ending. And they nailed it.

I’m not giving anything away beyond what’s been widely publicized, this is Jackman’s last time in the role. You’ll have to watch it for yourself to see whether he goes out in a blaze of glory against Omega Red or retires and plays shuffleboard with Victor Creed. And I’m sure if Fox could’ve kept him forever young and willing to continue as Wolverine, they would’ve. And I know the franchise is still set to continue back in the earlier time period with the younger cast, blah blah blah. And I know on the Marvel Studios side, we might get some satisfying send-offs down the line as actors age out (or want out), but I imagine the Disney Machine skillfully turning every farewell in the Marvel Cinematic Universe into an introduction for the next generation.

But here we have Jackman and Stewart, the actors that really defined the franchise, bringing it to a close together, and it’s so satisfying to see it done so well. The only comparison I can think of right now is the closure The Dark Knight Rises gave to the Nolan Batman films, but even there the satisfying final moments were still at the end of the weakest film in the trilogy.

Saw this last night on an aging IMAX screen. Recommended for sure. It’s a Peckinpah western filled with aging superheroes, which is pretty close to my perfect movie, so yeah.The three leads are all amazing. Some great casting with the girl; she conveys so much through expression and posture. Stewart and Jackman are first rate.

I like it a lot more today than I did at the time. It felt a little long - maybe 15 minutes? - and it’s grim, so you don’t leave the theatre all bubbly. The action scenes are visceral and loud, but I don’t know that they’re master-class or anything, but they do wring some unexpected punch out of the assembled parts.

Some beautiful shots - the light coming through the cracks in the dome where they keep Charles, for example - and it has real emotional heft, even if they come in service to a plot whose beats you probably already know.

I saw it this morning before work.

I loved it. The emotional beats are excellent. The action scenes are superb. The acting is really good. I loved the sun bleached orange look of much of the movie.

What was the old Western they were watching on TV in the hotel room, does anyone know?

Shane.

They even mention the name in the movie - it’s called ‘Shane’, ie the main characters name. You should look it up as it’s a well known classic and it even has a few nice parallels to this film.