Logan (MMXVII A.D.)

Yeah, just like with Back to the Future 2, I figured it was in the movie for a reason. That’s what made me want to find out what movie it was and watch it.

I didn’t know they had mentioned the name of the movie. I must have missed that, since I wasn’t listening for it. Thanks to you and @Doctor_Hillbilly.

Spoiler talk:

[details=Spoilers]I love it when a movie doesn’t feel the need to be breakneck all the time. So I loved it in this one when the movie slows down and gives us time to breath. Everything that happens at the farm was so good. The looks between Laura and the kid. The conversation at the dinner table. The water pump incident. Laura borrowing the music from the kid. Charles asking Logan not to wake her up yet. Saying it was the best night he’d had in a long time. And then what happens after that. To me that whole sequence is the pulsing heart of the movie.

My absolute favorite moment in there is when Logan picks up a dying Charles and assures him “It wasn’t me”. That really brings home how terrible that betrayal must have felt.[/details]

There is no after credit short We had a lot of people waiting for one.

I thought Patrick Stewart really did an excellent job with his role.

Really loved it. Definitely a shame that it takes them until Hugh Jackman’s last turn as Wolverine before they finally make a movie worthy of the character.

Loved the tone of it. Watching Logan churn his way through bad guys with actual blood and gore was so much more satisfying than the PG-13 versions. And Patrick Stewart dropping F-Bombs was actually a shock for some people in the theater; you never hear that language from Patrick Stewart, and you surely don’t expect it (from years of PG-13 movies) from Charles Xavier.

The little girl was great. Such expressive eyes. And, is it me, or does she really look like she could be the spawn of Famke Janssen? When Professor X asked Logan who she reminds him of, I thought, Jean Grey with a face like that.

Also loved Stephen Merchant. So used to him being the awkward, tall, Brit guy in comedies, but here he gets to show a more serious (and albino) side.

I really thought Laura looked exactly like Logan. Or at least as close as my imagination could get me to 11 year old Hugh Jackman as a girl. The eyes especially. It was amazing casting to get that resemblance on top of how strong her performance was.

Just a wonderful movie. Wow.

So last night I saw a character study of an angry man. He was living in a kind of self-designed purgatory, performing thankless, tedious work, doing penance for mistakes made in the past. Suddenly he finds himself responsible for a young adult. He is spectacularly unsuited to be a guardian. He walks around like a turret, defensive and ready to unload on anyone who rubs him the wrong way.

That movie was Manchester By The Sea. Tonight I saw Logan. I liked Logan more, and thought it had better acting, pacing, and fight scenes.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I agree.

Saw it last night and loved it. So much.

I just wish folks hadn’t brought their fucking kids.

I’ve now seen this twice. On Thursday night, there wasn’t a kid in the theatre. There were a few teens with a guardian. I just finished a Sunday matinee and there were kids as young as 10 in the crowd. That seemed a bit on the young side to me.

Saw it today, left my 9yo son who loves super-hero movies home with a firm no. Really enjoyed the movie, Jackman and Stewart own those characters. The ending just felt so fitting and right.

I saw it today. I enjoyed the movie for what it is. I think there’s room for different takes on the series. I also hope they continue with the reboot series and learn that you can narrow in on characters and not throw them all at the wall and see what sticks. The girl did an excellent job.

Was anyone else weirded out by the bad-guys at the end threatening to kill the kids like they hadn’t spent the bulk of the movie trying to kill them anyway? And is there something about a healing factor that suddenly teaches someone who has spent their whole life away from the world how to drive?

Just minor stuff here, but overall a great if somewhat predictable move for these two characters.

with regard to your second question, necessity is the teacher. I know plenty of people who have done similar at similar because of dire situations like getting to a hospital or away from something bad.

Such a great movie. I was really unprepared for how gritty & down to earth this felt. It deserves all the praise it has generated.

As we were walking out of the movie, my son made the comment “why did all the bad guys have metal arms” and after thinking about it, it really is a mystery. Ok, maybe it’s a bit stronger? But why? Did I miss why so many metal arms?

The future version of everyone in the unit getting a tattoo?

Actually, you can see the mercenary dudes losing arms to icing and slicing from the various kids, so it makes sense that some of them would’ve lost limbs in dealing with these kids.

ah - that makes so much sense. So it’s not a plot device per se, but an acknowledgement that their job has repercussions and maybe losing an arm would make capturing and killing kids easier since they can justify it with getting payback? Good explanation!

I think it only happened as a result of being attacked by the kids.

I watched this last night and enjoyed it up until

the GMO Wolverine killed Sir Pat Stu and the family they were staying with

Until this event happened I was enjoying the dialogue and could forgive the graphic violence. The characters were developing nicely. I just wished it didn’t turn into a

bunch of action set pieces with little narrative

I guess though it is a superhero movie after all.

Summary

But did these people spend 11 years in a controlled clinic being treated like a lab rat? They were just a bit inconsistent with her… as in not adjusted enough to know you can’t steal everything or kill everyone but remarkably adjusted for these other things.