Logan (MMXVII A.D.)

Jesus @soondifferent I thought you were talking about Logan! I was like, “What are you, high?”

I was about to post the same thing! For the first paragraph I was getting really confused until I remembered everyone was talking about Watchmen now.

Sorry. My rage knows not thread boundaries.

Mark Kermode* nailed it in his review:

“Hey, Watchmen! It’s really cool!” is a terriffic summary of the slavish adherence to the surface without any grasp of the subtleties that plagues Snyder’s adaptation.

*hello to Jason Isaacs

Well again the passion seems to be with those who read it. How would anyone who just watched the movie even care? Logan has a bit of an issue too, like I think I said, you have to know something about Logan and Xavier to even relate to this movie. So stand-alone, sure but not to the extent that you are new to X-men… aka not sure how this would ever win over anyone who doesn’t like comics since you kind of have to know that world to enjoy it.

Yeah, that’s why I have a paperback copy of Watchmen to lend, and i have the giant annotated copy to hug to bed.

But seriously though, at least read the issue I linked if you haven’t already.

No offense to you and your beloved comic, but I don’t read comics. I just don’t. I left the hobby when I was about 12. I enjoy the movies now and some shows. It’s just not something I enjoy. It’s not the source material though. I love Guardians of the Galaxy, and you won’t ever see me reading those comics either.

I saw Watchmen because of the marketing, I generally like comic book based movies, and because so many people seemed to like the source material. I didn’t like the movie much but didn’t hate it either really.

For Logan, anyone familiar with Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine or Patrick Stewart’s Xavier can at least enjoy the movie even if they feel sad like @ArmandoPenblade did.

I also don’t read comics, virtually at all (I didn’t even read them as a kid, but I did try to read the Geoff Johns Green Lantern run in the mid-late 00s and just couldn’t keep up with it and gave up). I did read Watchmen though, and it was worth the change of pace.

Oh hai Armando, how did you r name get in front of my thoughts right there?

im in ur brainz stealin ur thotz

That’s too bad. For what it’s worth, my wife doesn’t like it either and while my brother liked that issue (and the movie), he didn’t exactly feel compelled to read the rest. I have the same sadness as when my wife insists that Maggi makes the best noodles.

That interview @Soren_Hoglund linked is a good one. It probably is a function what stage in life you read the comics. Watchman was my introduction, and I went on to read some good ones (like Top Ten, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Transmetropolitan, Planetary, etc.) I haven’t followed anything in years though.

Is this the thread where I confess that I really enjoyed rewatching Sucker Punch?

-Tom

You’re not alone. I’ve seen in a few times myself. Definitely my guiltiest of pleasures. I basically watch it with Patton Oswalt yelling “Every frame a painting!” in my mind. It’s in one of his standup bits, secretly referecing Tony Zhou’s work.

Forum needs a like button!

Never read Watchmen comic, still love the movie. It is just so expansive and stylish and atmospheric.

Saw this again tonight. Noticed what may have been a very subtle Easter egg. When Logan’s flipping through the Transigen paperwork Gabriella had on all the kids, Laura’s says something like:

DNA: JAMES HOWLETT HOST: 00057-JGS
I don’t remember what the numbers were, but it said JGS, which sure makes me think of Jean Grey Summers. Obviously I do not believe that’s implying Jean Grey was kidnapped by Transigen and used to create Laura, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was an intentional little jokey kind of Easter egg.

Also, when I first saw this, as Logan says “So this is what it feels like”, my impression was he meant death. On a second viewing, with Laura crying and calling him dad, I interpreted it to mean family, or the love of a family, or something like that.

I like that both readings work.

Unless I’m mistaken, James Howlett is also the name Logan has on his limo’s driver ID placard. No idea if this is a common alias of his from the comics or what. I did find it odd that the company didn’t have him on record as Logan.

From memory Logan is called James at one point isn’t he, by the doc or something?

Yes, sorry, I know he’s named James. I just thought it was cute someone might’ve slipped in the Jean Grey part for the host’s initials.

Yeah, the back story was established in the Origin mini-series in 2001. Before that, he was known as Logan, but it was made clear that his memories had been wiped as part of the Weapon X procedures. At the time, Marvel EIC Quesada said that they might as well tell the Wolverine origin story before a movie took the ability to tell it away from them.