Logan (MMXVII A.D.)

Wow this was really, really good. Easily the best X-Men movie I’ve ever seen. Old Man Logan FTW!

Crazy that Hugh Jackman has been playing Wolverine for what, a decade now? So he really kinda is old man Logan.

Almost 2 decades. The first X-men movie came out in 2000.

Counter-point: this movie is really, really, really good.

And to think, it was originally Dougray Scott who was cast, but he dropped X-Men to do Mission Impossible 2.

Gonna go down in the history of bad Hollywood decisions.

Ok all you overly intellectual art house film types, I present to you Logan Noir

https://drafthouse.com/event/logan-noir

Looks like One Night Only, May 16.

It will also be included in the dvd/blu-ray release, FYI.

Crap, I pre-ordered the Amazon digital copy. Doesn’t show that it includes it, which I doubt it does.

There’s a chance. My iTunes copy of Mad Max had the Black & Chrome version added automatically at no cost.

Oh, cool, here’s hoping then.

Cracking good movie, fantastic swan song performances from Stewart and Jackman, cool kid star, tight script. Pacing maybe wee bit too slow in places, but it’s all so beautifully filmed you can just bathe in the cinematography. Everyone says the same things so there’s no need to say any more. Best thing about it is the sense of hopelessness and decay with the two main characters, very refreshing and daring - not just for a superhero movie, it would be so for any movie of this blockbuster caliber.

One jarring note for me was the problem I’ve always had with Wolverine as a character (and not coincidentally, a problem I’m having increasingly with games as they become more photorealistic): hard to make heroic someone who fights by slashing people to ribbons, and the graphic depictions in this movie nudge my squeamishness meter. But that’s just me.

Also the Mexico/US/Canada nudge nudge wink wink was a bit heavy-handed, but I suppose you can’t expect any different these days, and it fits well enough as part of the story, doesn’t jar too much. (I should imagine it made all the deplorable-slashing quite deliciously cathartic for some ;) )

So did your Amazon copy include the black and white version? I just redeemed the iTunes digital copy that came with my Blu-ray, and both the physical and digital versions include the “Noir” version.

I don’t have any tremendously deep insights to share but I loved this movie, bleakness and all.

Just picked up the 4k version, which included individual 4k discs for the normal and Noir versions, as well as separate blu-rays for them as well. Seems they’re sparing no expense for this release.

Nope. :(

I picked this up on iTunes directly (i.e., not a redemption code from a disc) and it includes Noir. Surprising the Amazon version doesn’t. :(

I picked this up on Amazon for $12 (it included the Bluray and the Noir version) and finally watched it. This is a really wonderful movie. I don’t yet know if I like it more than X2, but I know I like it more than any of the other movies in the series. Patrick Stewart was absolutely wonderful yet again, and I don’t even know what to say about Hugh Jackman. The man is Wolverine, and I’ll be damned if they ever find someone who can fill his boots in this role.

I <3 movies with mikey

https://youtu.be/HMokrFTc--8

That was really good, thanks for sharing! I’d never heard of that channel before, I like it.

One thing I don’t get is the continuity with the X-men movie timeline. In one deleted scene Xavier said Logan killed Jean, so that means this is in the X3 timeline rather than Days of Future Past. But in pre-DoFP timeline, everyone died fighting Sentinels. Maybe that is why that scene was cut, because it simply did not fit logically?

They have said that there is no continuity between this and the other movies. It is a stand alone movie, just think of it as an alternative universe if you wish.