LOL, Hillary gets down!

Yeah, I trust her.

Fo’ shizzle ma nizzle!

What’s with the weak trolling lately Cindy? You’ve really been phoning it in.

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to troll.

For once I’m with CindySue.

It’s hard to really evaluate this snippet without more context. Is there a longer version available, and/or something with video?

I don’t know if it is pandering, or just Arkansas creeping back into her–dialects can be contagious, and she was surrounded by them I’m sure–but even the mainstream media commented on the appearance of Southern Drawl in her voice:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Politics/story?id=2923567&page=1

It sounds like she’s quoting something… as Phil said a little more context wouldn’t hurt. (Not that I can be arsed to Google it myself, of course…)

I can’t watch the link right now, but I get the gist of what you’re saying. If I’m surrounded by a different accent, I can’t help but adopt it to some degree. On several occasions my girlfriend has been seriously alarmed I might be making fun of the people I’m talking to, but really, it just creeps in. Maybe it’s an unconscious attempt to be better understood, be on their level, or maybe it’s me trying to (a la My Cousin Vinnie), ‘blend’.

I visted Winnipeg for a week and when i returned back to Texas everyone made fun of my Canadian accent. Also, all the food tasted “wrong” until i got used to it again.

Winnipeg is a very boring town with a lot of cute girls, though. When some really cute but totally funky accents. They were so strong they were almost unintelligble. Sort of deep Canadian with a strong flavor of French.

Don’t have sound on this PC so I can’t watch the video - but it might be worth watching some tapes of HIllary from the early and mid nineties. Before she was Sen. Clinton (D-NY) she had quite the Arkansas twang.

I agree with the above poster.

I lived in North Carolina for a year…started getting a twang.

Moved to Germany lived there for 8 years…started picking up german specific accents (bavaria is different from rest of germany)

Then moved to Hawaii…now I have been here for 6 months and I am starting to pickup hawaiian accents as well. Ya Bra.

I really don’t see any issue with this. For those that do, I guess you haven’t really moved around to the point you lived in different dialect regions.

Bingo. She was quoting something at the start of the clip.

[I]I just can’t give up now
I’ve come too far from where I started from
Nobody told me the road would be easy
And I don’t believe He brought me this far to leave me

• Mary Mary[/I]

She did drawl though and it was out of character. That said, they all do this. George W. Bush, son of Connecticut, becomes hyper Texan when before a Southern audience. Gore becomes very Southern. Basically, only Cheney springs to mind as someone who doesn’t give into this type of vocal pandering.

But I agree with the above: not a big deal.

About a decade ago I interviewed Jack Kirby in San Diego and by the end of it you can hear my old New York accent showing up again just from the hour I spent with the guy.

And once again, this turns out to be more bullshit from people who are just freaked out by uppity womenfolk.

Here’s the full video, in context:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/horsesmouth/2007/03/yet_another_win.php