LOMAC manual

For those that don’t like the LOMAC manual…

http://www.lomac-manual.com

— Alan

aka “The Manual We Should Have Received”

:evil:

oh well half the fun of any new sim is figuring out the keypresses and whether or not the results of pressing the keys is attributable to bugs or what the sim is actually supposed to do

–scharmers

Man, I just found the link for those manuals myself. Damnit, I would have plunked down money instantly if I had known about it earlier. Hopefully they’ll make enough for the second printing.

I plan on getting LOMAC eventually, but the lack of a paper manual in the packaging is a real turn-off. So much easier to learn if you’ve got a real manual in front of you. Yeah, I could print the 80 page pdf, but it’s just not the same thing.

WTF, it’s $30 to buy the manual from some third-party fellow who’s “teamed up” with Ubi Soft? Why aren’t hard-core flight simmers rioting in the streets? All six of them?

Man, that’s low. They could at least have the requisite sense of shame and try to pawn it off as a strategy guide.

-Tom

I’ll have you know that I have it on good authority that there are at LEAST 23 hard-core flight simmers. You just haven’t noticed all their rioting what with all the other protests going on.

I’ll have you know that I have it on good authority that there are at LEAST 23 hard-core flight simmers. You just haven’t noticed all their rioting what with all the other protests going on.[/quote]

At LEAST 24, thank you very much!

I’ll have you know that I have it on good authority that there are at LEAST 23 hard-core flight simmers. You just haven’t noticed all their rioting what with all the other protests going on.[/quote]

At LEAST 24, thank you very much![/quote]

25!

I wrote a column about this about a year ago. Monolithic manuals are a thing of the past with the new, downsized game boxes so there’s really not much point in getting all bent out of shape about the migration towards PDF documentation - even in the flight sim genre where heavy manuals have traditionally ruled.

I suggested at the time that serious simmers (who are not of this planet anyway) get used to visiting their local Kinkos to convert those PDF files into useable hardcopy. What’s that gonna cost anyway? Twenty bucks? I also added a quote from Carl Norman (of LOMAC fame) where he effectively stated “Hey screw Kinkos! Give us the money and we’ll ship a manual to the hardcore guys after they send us their check with a mail-in voucher.” (A voucher that he wanted to see included in the game box).

Apparently Carl never got Ubi to buy into his mail-in voucher plan but I’m still glad to see some of this money going back to the company that built the sim in the first place (rather than some faceless Quick Copy chain). A little extra cash in Ubi’s pocket might even convince them to invest in LOMAC 2.

25 1/2.

— Alan

Look on the bright side, by not buying it it you save $75 instead of of $45.

On the surface I agree, but I sure cringe with the precedent that this sets. Having said that though, I did order one. :twisted:

Ouch, they bumped up the price because of production costs. And it’s not $30. It’s 30 pounds, as in pounds sterling. With shipping from the UK, it adds up to a whopping $62.50 now.

Who has it? Is it worth it? Are all the extras all that?

They don’t even include a printed manual in the box. Damn them.

HAHA the manual costs more than the game!

crazy.

etc

Another point of view: how much does a good flight-sim jockey flight stick (and more…) run?

Another ding against flight sims: it’s an expensive genre.

Another ding against flight sims: it’s an expensive genre

But nearly an endlessly playable one. You can spend that $X large on HOTAS gear, TrackIR, and the like. However, if you then turn around and pick up BoB (and patch it) and Falcon (and patch it), and IL2FB and LOMAC – you’ve effectively eliminated the need to spend any more money on games for the next four years, if you’re a sim head. Those sims can keep you occupied nearly forever.

–scharmers

And if that gets tiresome, you can always log onto to SIMHQ and compare X sim unfavoably to IL2! We’re so lucky to be flight simmers.

My Logitech Wingman joystick is broken. Its hard to fly the planes in BF1942 now. I think I need a new joystick. Or perhaps, I’ll go learn how to fly planes with a mouse.

That’s why I have two Logitech Wingman sticks. Can’t beat the $20 price for the Wingman Digital Extreme. No more HOTAS for me, thanks.

–scharmers

I odered the newer manual. How can I tell when it shipped or even if it has?

The manual developer posted yesterday saying the first shipment will be sent out over the next week. So far he has had over 1000 orders. Quite impressive. There is definitely a demand out there for high quality paper manuals.