Long Hair Freaky People

I have been growing my hair since I appeared in a stage production of the Three Musketeers with my kids a few years ago and now it is quite long. Thursday I am going to get it cut short. I am not sure what the attraction with long hair is with me.

In college about 15 years ago I wore my hair down to the back of my neck and could just about get it into a ponytail. Now it’s about 3 inches longer than it was then and my ponytails never fall out.

Long hair is a lot of work. I can get away with not washing short hair and nobody knows. If you don’t wash your long hair, you look unkempt. You need to brush your long hair everyday, especially after showers. If you have thick hair like mine, brushing can be exhausting work. If you didn’t have long hair as a kid, you have to pick all this up on your own, a whole new grooming paradigm.

Long hair is a bitch in the swimming pool, where you have to wear a cap or it feels like an octopus is sitting on your head. If I take off my hair tie at night, I often wake up, feeling as if I am wearing a helmet. If I leave my hair tie on for too many days straight, my face begins to feel (particularly my forehead) rigid and inflexible. Soon I find myself unwilling to relent with my children or imposing my will upon my colleagues at work.

Long hair looks good on some people, most of them women. I think I look especially good in long hair, if all conditions are right: low wind and humidity, two or three nights after a wash and condition, the right ratio of “tied back” time to “hanging wild” time.

Fedoras and long hair go well together.

Photos can be problematic; there is so much that can go wrong. In the end, this is what decided it for me. My kid is getting married and I am going to be in a lot of photographs.

Have you ever grown your hair long?

Just on my face, and that was for a contest.

I’m going to need photographic evidence to believe this!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

You calling me a goon, Charles? :)

I used to have long hair. Looking back at pictures from that period, I realize I looked like a goon. Sorry, but it’s true. Maybe you look fantastic. I didn’t.

Yes, but I am a girl so I don’t think I count. :P

My hair grows out, not up or down, only out on the sides, making me look like a mushroom.

What, no tips? For shame!

I used to have long hair. Like you said, it’s a lot of work and not really worth the effort. Now I just shave my head every few months.

Edit: Bonus pics!

This is the appropirate response to most pictures from one’s past.

Yes, this is the uncomfortable leonine phase of long hair growth. You are probalby a good candidate for attractive long hair, becuase yours will be long and thick, not long and stringy, which can often look like hell.

Photos from my 80’s long hair period are still locked away. One day I’ll look at them again but at the moment they’re like a military program that went hideously wrong and has had a Top Secret classification slapped on in order to pretend it never existed.
It was like really bad 80’s hair.

I’ve got long hair, but it works well with the general viking look I seem to have going these days. To be honest, though, even though it looks good, it’s such a bitch to take care of that I’m thinking about cutting it all off anyway. Or at least greatly pruning it back.

I used to have long hair about the time I used to smoke a ton of weed. Clearly pot does affect judgement;)

I used to have hair.

Respectfully

krise madsen

I had been growing my hair out for the past year or so, but only let it get as long as classic hockey hair. I just shaved it off a week ago.

Classic hockey hair? New one on me. How long is that?

Edit: ah, a Canadian brother, where hockey rules and all other sports, ah, something. Do tell what classic hockey hair is.

Makes you wonder what people looked like in the middle ages where everyone wore their hair long and (one imagines) hair maintienance was still quite primitive.

They looked like people with long hair and serious cooties.

I had long hair from when I was about nine and on through high school, then off and on in early adulthood. I finally went with short hair in the early 90s and will never go back to long hair. Short hair = easy peasy.

Obligatory photo from 1990 college ID card:

Norm Coleman