Long Hair Freaky People

I am a few days into short hair and it is hard to get used to seeing my face. There is too much wavy on my head now. I am used to the severe pull back look of the pony tail.

As for hats, most fit much worse. I thought they might sink onto my head with a substantial haircut, but instead the hair that is there is much more poofy and most of the hats ride higher on my head.

The last picture of me with long hair:

My 11 year old daughter insisted I flip my head as she took this photo, despite the fact that it was 7am and I hadn’t had my first cup of coffee. I am such a tolerant dad.

Awesome.

You look like Anton Chigurh in the flippy hair photo. If Chigurh ever actually, you know, smiled.

Saying someone looks like Anton Chigurh is the kindest, most bad ass, way to say a person has bad hair. “Call it!”

You look like a more sophisticated and less ripped Lou Ferrigno.

Which part of “cut your damn hair hippies” is lost on us at Qt3?

I had blue and red hair that was almost shoulder length once. But I was in high school, and I dyed it while supremely drunk. Now I alternate between a super short almost fade and what is apparently the only way you should get your hair cut, according to Stormfront.org.

So I didn’t know what Stormfront was, and I decided to check it out as it sounded like a wargaming site. Wow, I was way off. So glad that’s in my browser history, now.

This is me trying to flip my hair like Tim did, with disastrous consequences:

This is me holding still, awaiting the things to come, but having already shaved my beard from a full one to something we in Germany call Ludenbärtchen:

This is me after two hours of cutting and shaving:

Oh how I miss you so, beautiful chestnut tresses.

I recently had mine cut after 12-13 years of letting it grow and occasionally trimming a foot off. The longest it ever reached was my tail bone, which was really annoying in bed when I would roll onto it and pull some out, or my girlfriend would roll over onto my locks and get a mouthful of hair, simultaneously pinning me to the pillow.

After getting it cut (approximately a month ago now) I haven’t looked back. The change is dramatic and during the cut perhaps even traumatic, but the results are great. You can be in and out of the shower, clean hair and all, in five minutes. Five minutes. When you’re used to spending the evening with damp hair it’s a revelation.
One other thing you might want to be aware of is that your hair might become naturally spikey like mine, due to the folicles suddenly having substantially less weight pulling on them. An unfortunate consequence is the return of bad hair days, but I don’t let that bother me.

So yeah, get it done. Get it done before you reconsider, and get it cut properly by a senior stylist. You won’t regret it.

Yeah, my hair used to be that long and getting pinned down by it really sucked.

Plus it took forever to dry and so forth.

Also consider donating the huge chunk of hair to one of the various wig-making charities out there.

Oh look a thread for me randomly bubbled up to the top.

Interesting thread. I never could grow my hair long. After a certain point it just got too hard to maintain and control.

Now I’ll have the song stuck in my head all day.

“Sign sign, everywhere signs, blocking out the scenery breaking my mind. Do this, don’t do that, can’t you read the sign?”

“And the sign says long haired freaky people will be shot on sight…”

Wow.

Just wow.

This is so super bizarre. This whole week I’ve been thinking about posting a thread asking how in the world men can manage to have long hair or beards, or mustaches? Bill Bailey is one of my favorite comedians of all time and I love his look and think he just wouldn’t be the same if he had super lame short hair like I do now.

The thing is, how do people tolerate it? After 2 days I’m about ready to rip my face off as I can’t stand the feeling of whiskers, and when my hair hits the 20 day mark I literally want to shave my head bare. I don’t understand it. When I was in my teens I don’t remember this same extreme irritation? I wish I could grow longer hair. It would be nice and make me feel younger.

30 days with a beard got me past the itchy stage. I used to get ingrown hairs and couldn’t go without shaving for more than a week. Not an issue anymore for some reason.

As for hair, I am 50 years old and bald. I started going bald in my 20s. I look at pictures of my glorious 80’s hair and sigh wistfully. If I could grow hair again, it would be long and glorious.

I miss my hair.

I. . . rarely wake up in time to shave. After a few days, the uncomfortable itchiness goes away. And luckily I’m only public-facing on specific, well-known-in-advance days each year, so I can clean up real pretty for those; the rest of the time, the boss doesn’t seem to give a shit. . .

The roughest part about getting long hair is the lengthy period of time that you’ll spend with hilarious-looking, awkward medium-length hair en route to the full glorious mane. But once you get there, it’s pretty okay.

And a ton of upkeep, and it’s hot, and it gets on everything, and flies in your mouth in the wind, and sometimes you trap yourself in bed laying on your own hair. . .

. . . but then, every so often, an older woman offers to buy your hair as extensions in a Wendy’s parking lot, and it’s all worthwhile.