Long Hair Freaky People

Ahhh the heat. That is one of the things that I hate about hair. I feel like a fission reactor gone wild most of the time.

I’ve been rockin’ a (chubby) Mr. Clean look since 2004 at least. Heat isn’t great when you’re bald either… well, the heat is fine, but you wouldn’t believe how easy it is for your scalp to turn extra crispy under a summer sun.

Genetics didn’t really give me much choice in the matter but after getting used to a shaved head, I wouldn’t ever go back even if I could. No idea how ye Hairy Ones deal with it on a daily basis.

I’ve been thinking of doing this. Though I’m nervous on what my head shape will look like without any hair. If I do it, what about maintenance? How often do you shave your head? Do you use shaving cream and a Mach 3 razor or something else? Every day? Every other day?

Usually every third day or so, just takes me an extra 5 minutes in the shower or so. I use shaving cream and a Mach 3. I started out using cheap disposable razers but often ended up with a nice slice behind my ear, which isn’t fun. Never have issues with a mach 3.

I think the first time you see your bald head, it’ll look funny or weird no matter what since it’s not what your brain is used to seeing as “you”. That’s how it was for me, anyway, but I quickly got used to it.

I have long hair now. Not as long as it once was, but ponytail length. I keep it tied up when I sleep. My pillows are soft so I don’t have any issues. I don’t particularly like it, but I’m a lazy bastard. Same with the beard. I’ll probably give a local barber the pleasure of taking it all off soon. Warm weather is coming. I’ll no doubt go to a full service place and get a hot lather shave as well. Nose hair and ear hair trimmed. It’s like the wife going to get her nails done. A pleasure.

Then I’ll let it go for another year. :)

So I went to the barber today. It was kinda funny. All of the guys that work there are Latino. So I walk in with my freshly washed hair in a ponytail, wearing a Harley Davidson cap. Eventually it’s my turn. I walk up to the barber, remove the cap and the hair tie. He gives me a weird look. I say, “Cut it short.”

Him: Take it all off?"

Me: All off.

He begins. Now I’ve worked with Spanish speakers for many years in NYC. I can understand a lot.

So this happens:

One barber walks by and asks the guy cutting my hair, in Spanish, “What’s taking you so long?”

My guy says, “Didn’t you see how long this gringo’s hair was?”

They both laugh.

Well he wasn’t wrong. When he was done there was a crapload of hair around the chair. He did a great job and I tipped very well. No hard feelings.

-Insert this thread is useless without pics gif here-

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPq9RIYx1JeGbcLhnN3jY-Z160tBL1rdAym8edA

Photo of a photo. Which was a selfie before there were selfies. Througout the years I’ve enjoyed holding it up and asking people it they know who it is. Varying responses, like Zappa, Manson, JC. Some people make the connection.

Sorry, couldn’t get the picture itself to upload for some reason.