Longhorn, aka Windows VISTA?

Looking at that page, I thougt to myself, Ugh, someone’s been at My First Book of Fonts. Then I looked at the source. ‘Windows Vista’ is actually an inline image, not text. ‘arriving’ is in some spooky font I’ve never heard of called ‘Segoe’, with a fallback to Arial (which is what I see, since I don’t have Segoe). But then ‘2006’ is in Segoe with no fallback. Poor.

Googling Segoe, the first few links suggest it’s a Microsoft homage to an existing font called Frutiger. The not-acknowledging-any-debt kind of homage, it seems.

You’d think they would be better at this whole web thing by now.

I’m reserving judgement on Longhorn until I know more about it. Despite the harping going on here, I’m relatively certain that it will have more to offer than DRM. Whether or not it’s an overall improvement on XP remains to be seen.

I like XP–it’s Microsoft’s most stable and user-friendly OS to date. Win2K is also pretty stable, but it used to have pretty minimal support for games and high-end video drivers. That may well have changed over the years; I haven’t used 2K recently.

Midnight Son is an ass.

“Vista” is the fruitiest name for an OS in the history of computing.

Vista will feature translucent windows, faster file searching, a browser with tabs, better protection from virus’s… you know, like what Mac users have today. ;)

They should have countered Apple’s wild cats with Windows Wolf. Then for the commercial they could get Sam Jackson to look over someone’s shoulder as they turn on their computer and say, “You’re booting the Wolf? Shit, negro, that’s all you had to say!”

Windows XP is great - if you can’t get past the default interface (or take the ten seconds to switch it back to the Classic interface) then I don’t know - you’re just stupid or something.

Windows Longhorn (Vista really is just a terrible name - how the fuck are people going to abbreviate it? Previously we had NT4, Win2k, WinXP, Server2k3… I guess the shorthand will just be Vista?) has some neat stuff in terms of what they’re doing with the graphics APIs and all, but I honestly don’t see it being a worthy followup to XP.

JD

Vista is just a warmed over XP. They’ve already taken out most of the fancypants new “technology” they promised for it.

Since we’re calling each other animal names: Ben Sones is a pussy.

What’s “improved” in XP over 2000 beyond the interface (and legacy compatibility)? What’s “improved” in Vista over XP beyond the interface?

Seems like the same thing to me. Still don’t see anything worth paying for.

Win V?

V = Victory?

I can imagine customers calling me already:

“Hello? I can’t see my Vista!”

"Did you open the drapes?’

Bada-bing! I’m here all week! Try the veal! :lol:

If I remember correctly, XP was the first NT-based version semi-officially blessed for gaming with the new DirectX, and at the time 2000 was still stuck on DX3 until the newer ones were backported later on.

Vista is definitely underwhelming at this point, though. There might be some interesting stuff for developers with Avalon and WinFX, but end users won’t care about that and the migration period will be long.

Yeah, that was a totally artificial thing though. As of today 2000 and XP have identical versions of DirectX and I haven’t come across any current or recent games that don’t run flawlessly in 2000 (even Battlefield 2, which “doesn’t support” 2000).

Also worth noting is that the Avalon API is being rolled out for XP also…

It is fruity, but not as fruity as Lisa.

And will take 5 years to gain any foothold, while everyone continues to write GDI and MFC apps, by which point Microsoft will have replaced it with a better API.

Sweet! I get to pay another $200 for an OS upgrade I don’t need bceause game companies don’t supoprt other, “obsolete” OSes!

[size=2]Fuck Eidos[/size]

We’d all be better off if game developers would just realize the superiority of OpenGL and write games for that… Anyways, unless there is a crack for Vista’s DRM “features” then there is no way I am touching that OS with a ten-foot pole.

I said the same thing about XP, dude. And then Thief 3 came out for XP only, so I had to upgrade to maintain my game state. Of course in a textbook example of irony, Thief 1 and 2 don’t run in XP.

Vista sounds like a name for a crappy 1970’s economy car, not a fancy next-gen OS.

“Is that a Plymouth Vista? I hear they explode in rear-end collisions…”

[b]Sure they do[/b].