Looking for a new gaming mouse

The smooth mousewheel in particular makes it crap for gaming.

Not for me… I play all kinds of games from RTS to TBS and FPS… and this mouse has been love. Love in a small mouse shaped…mouse.

Yea, I think I will probably just go Logitech myself. I mentioned trying out the MS Intellimouse in the first post, but I feared the smooth ‘non-ratcheting’ wheel for gaming, and the tilt feature is a worthless gimmick in my eyes. It’s probably a fine piece of hardware though, I’ve been using an earlier model for years now, but that MX510 looks so sexy!

Might as well ask if any developments have been made in the world of keyboards as well, I’m still using a 5+yr old Dell kb I got with my long retired Pentium II system, but I figure I may as well get something shiny and new to sit next to the mouse.

There are a lot of combo packs, but I haven’t seen any including the MX510 mouse. How reliable are all these wireless setups anyway if I went that route?

mx510 or 700, 510 is smoother though…

My problem with the Logitech boils down to: “Right handed comfort grip.”

What? Us lefties don’t need precision mice?

razor boomslang for lefties

Not for me… I play all kinds of games from RTS to TBS and FPS… and this mouse has been love. Love in a small mouse shaped…mouse.[/quote]

I tried the Microsoft Wireless Desktop in hopes of finding something for my living room setup, but the smooth mousewheel was a dealbreaker for me – I really like having the clicks when you switch from weapon to weapon (or as you’re scrolling a web page, or whatever you’re doing). It felt weird without the clicks, so I just ditched it.

Sluggo
(another happy member of the Logitech optical camp)

I’ve heard that wireless mice often have as much as 30-40 ms delay in transmitting movement to the PC. Any truth to that? That’s been the main barrier for me trying one as a gaming mouse.

Errr, would 40ms be a human perceptible lag? That’s like .04 seconds.

Errr, would 40ms be a human perceptible lag? That’s like .04 second

Depends on the game. 40-50ms in a FPS is huge. My inability to find a server where I can get 60ms (as opposed to 110ms) is the primary reason I stopped playing q3freeze.

I’ve had bad experiences with wireless keyboards. My gf has a Logitech one and I had a MS one and the MS would always screw up when she started typing. The diagnostics provided showed everything was working A-OK though! Plus, the new MS keyboards have this stupid function key setup, where everything is by default remapped to Windows functions. Or, what they think those keys should do in every Windows program, regardless of whether they do or not.
I ended up putting the MS wireless keyboard away and going back to the best keyboard ever made - The original MS Natural keyboard.

Actually MS doesn’t make the best the best keyboard ever made anymore. The Natural Elite is not quite it because of the arrow key setup (see small keys, all on top of each other). They make a newer version of the multimedia keyboard (still split, but laid out correctly re: arrow keys), but that version has so much junk on it, I just can’t see it being good.

I have a previous version of that one that has some blue keys on top and that’s it. The rest of the keyboard is laid out perfectly.

No, not the Natural Elite. I mean one of these

Arrow keys in the normal position, Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn in the normal position. Best keyboard I’ve ever owned

The oldschool MS natural is indeed the best. I’ve gone through three of them. I have the MS internet keyboard now which is almost as good but not quite.

yep, the old microsoft natural is the best and i’m on my second one and soon due for a third i think unless there is a way to clean it. Every version since then has had something messed up:

-cross shaped arrow keys
-too small arrow keys
-rearrangement of the home/end/pgup/pgdown section
-WAY TOO BIG delete key (but nice they got rid of insert)
-THE DAMN FUNCTION LOCK!!! damn i hate that thing
-some other stuff i don’t remember - but i remember the pain

No! Don’t get rid of the Insert key!

All of the below pissed me off about the MS Wireless Keyboard/Mouse combo:
[ul][li]Home/End cluster FUBARed
[/li][li]F Lock can’t be set to default to “on”
[/li][li]They had the temerity to change the function keys to groups of three instead of four
[/li][li]The mouse wheel that not only fails to click, but has enormous resistance to rotation, and that scrolls way too far when you do rotate it
[/li][li]The fundamentally useless side-movement of the wheel. Why not just stick a mini-trackball on the thing and be done with it?
[/li][/ul]But that wasn’t the kicker.

The kicker was - get this - the version of software required to properly work with the keyboard-mouse combo does not allow you to assign a middle-mouse-click to anything on the mouse.

That’s right. Microsoft’s latest version of IntelliMouse simply doesn’t allow you to assign the middle-mouse buttonstroke to any button on the mouse. To add insult to injury, you can’t simply tell it “Type the key ‘X’ when I click the middle mouse button”. No, you need to give it something stupid like “Move to the next window” or “Close this window” or “Open program X”. And Microsoft barely acknowledges it as a problem. They might get around to fixing it for the next version of IntelliMouse.

My next mouse/keyboard will be from Logitech, who might actually see the benefit in not actively removing features from driver updates.

Yea, I was amazed when I couldn’t assign ANY button on my mouse to ‘refresh webpage’ with the latest Intellimouse software. I mean that is something I was able to do years ago with earlier versions of the software…now I have junk like ‘switch window’, or ‘paste’ to select from. WTF??

The function lock problem sounds incredibly stupid on MS keyboards also, guess I’ll look into one of these fancy Logitech’s to go with the MX510.

This one looks nice…

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=1,CONTENTID=5013

The Logitech keyboards also have “enhanced function keys” which require you to actually map, say, F1 to be F1 and not “Launch my Webcam” or something else stupid. (Or you can turn off the shift function each time you reboot.)

I really hate these “modern” keyboards. Do people really use these shortcuts?

Logtech MX310 is symetrical, and even has a leftie open in the mouse driver.