Looking for a streaming box (Roku or similar)

If you wait for a deal, you can get a 55 inch 4k HDR (you do want 4k and HDR even though for cheap sets you should turn HDR off, because it means the internal streaming hardware has to support all the modern video codecs and will be generally faster and better) for something like $150 ish. Or smaller for around $110 or $125 ish.

Couple of quick searches to get an idea for what to set a deal alert for:

Another one. My > 10 year old Samsung TV that gets used every day has 4 HMDI ports. To be fair, we plugged the cable box in ~ 10 years ago when we moved in, then plugged in the chromecast years ago when they came out, and we don’t touch the ports otherwise. Do these ports die because you fiddle with them, or do they just magically die?

Why on gods green Earth would I want one?

Look, folks, I appreciate the intent, but I’m not in the market for a new TV, and certainly not for some monstrously huge 4K thing. I have nowhere to put something that size, and couldn’t care less about resolutions that large when it comes to television anyway. I think I’ve found a way to cheaply fix the media center laptop I was using and if that’s the case, it’s the clear path here. I’d rather have had something with a remote, but the amount of expense and hassle is not equal to the benefit there.

Wow. Our last Samsung TV got returned after about 3 weeks because it made this bizarre and terrifying electrical noise when it had been on for a little while. Needless to say we bought something else.

The particular TV I’m using sat with the same things plugged into the HDMI ports for years, I think those connections were changed a total of twice. One day I just couldn’t get a stable signal out of them. The damn things are just very delicate and prone to decay, evidently. Search a bit online, you’ll find this really is a common problem.

I’ve used NVidia Shield for a long time now, and have been quite happy with it.

I have one of these, and a Roku Ultra on another TV. The disadvantages of the TCL option:

• The remote doesn’t have a headphone port.
  • The remote is IR instead of bluetooth.

These seem minor, but the headphone port is nearly a must-have for me, and having to point the remote at the sensor is kind of a pain when you get used to using the remote in any position or orientation. I will note though that even with the TCL TVs you can use the Roku app on your phone for both features.

How well does the Roku app work for private listening, any audio sync issues? My Roku remote has a headphone jack, but I just realized that if the phone app works well then I could use my bluetooth earbuds, which would be super.

Not sure if this helps, but I have a 65" TCL Roku 4K TV (which I love, BTW). I picked up an MPOW Bluetooth 5.0 transmitter from Amazon. It sticks to the rear of the TV, and when I want to use headphones I just have to plug it in to the AUX jack.

If you have Bluetooth 5.0 headphones, there is no audio lag at all, and it works for all video sources.

Does this allow you to turn off the normal audio and only hear it through the headphones?

Yessir! Plugging into the AUX jack overrides any other audio output.

Sometimes, Analog is better than Digital…

I may have to give this a try. There are times I want to watch TV late at night and make sure I don’t disturb anyone.

The downside is the fancier remote will go through batteries way faster.

Here’s a link to the one I bought: Amazon.com: Mpow Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter Receiver, 2 in 1 Bluetooth Audio Adapter with 3.5mm AUX for TV/PC/Home Stereo System, aptX Low Latency/HD, 50 Feet Fast Transmission, CVC 8.0 Noise Cancellation.: Electronics

The Roku app on your phone will allow the same without extra hardware. I haven’t noticed any lag using that, though I am using wired headphones plugged into my phone. Just pull up the remote interface in the app and tap the headphone button to route audio to your phone. The only weird part is that there are no Roku menu sounds that way: but the audio inside the streaming apps works great.

This is true, but I’ve got a whole eneloop/charger thing set up to keep me in AAs for my VR remotes anyway :)

So if I was using Roku on my TV the Roku app on my phone will sync with the TV? I am a bit confused how they all integrate.

Well it integrates with any Roku device, including TCL TVs with Roku built in. It can function as a remote for the Roku (with headphone support) and you can search and select streaming content from inside the Roku app as well. Sometimes if I’m too lazy to get up from the couch and grab the remote from the table 6 feet away, I just use my phone.

Yeah there are no good options for a TV with no HDMI ports. Stick with the laptop.

Yup, good to have that confirmed anyway. Once we move and have 1) some more space and 2) some more time to fiddle with it, I’ll pick up a new TV. Maybe something OLED to get some genuine blacks going, HDTV blacks drive me crazy. There’s a reason I’ve still got a CRT TV tucked away in my study.

As others already posted, low-end TVs are unbelievably cheap these days. My advice would be to shitcan your old set and buy a new one, but if you don’t want to do that, your options are pretty limited.

I don’t use the app, just the Roku remote, but I have some cheap crap 4K smart TV that’s 4-5 years old, and even it has an audio sync setting buried down in the menus. Mine even labels that setting adjustments as “Lipsync,” so I assume most TVs could be adjusted to compensate for any audio lag.

It works just about perfectly for me, I use the app on my phone for private listening a few times a month. The “just about” above is that it conforms to the android media model thing so that when you’re listening and you unplug headphones Android will decide that means your ready to press play or some such bullshit, I can’t remember but it is more an Android issue.