Loop Hero - Lich Go Round Again

It’s the bar in the top left directly under the time of day bar. I think it has a little skull icon.

It’s meadows next to anything, isn’t it? That was a big development for me, and arguably what got me past the lich. The per day healing is a pretty important factor in terms of getting around the loop.

-Tom

Possibly. Apart from other meadows anyway. I’ve only tried rocks/mountains and treasuries.

The discussion in this thread reads as esoterically as Dominions patch notes. Wonderful, but kind of makes me not want to break the spell by actually playing the game!

It’s worth noting that adjacent includes diagonals for most things in the game. This is important for the treasury.

Is there only 1 boss in the game or when you beat it will the game continue with more? I almost reached the 1st boss in the 1st game. I pushed too far and didn’t finish the loop. Lost a lot of resources, I think I played 4 or 5 loops in a row… Havent built any buildings yet.

(*) played the demo

afaik yes. I have placed meadows next to all sorts of things, and they always “light up” or whatever as long as it’s U/D/L/R (no diagonals here). Beacons, other beacons, various road adjacent creature generation structures, rocks, mountains. Other meadows is the only thing I’ve found that won’t do it. But there’s a lot of stuff I haven’t unlocked.

There is more beyond the first boss.

This game is awesome.

You can hold the run away button (so you see the gears there) to get a chance to run away when you get back to camp, even if the boss has spawned.

Boss bar fills with cards played (possibly plots built, haven’t tested with Oblivion).

Monsters scale with loops completed.

Not sure if there’s any interaction with the Lich Palaces and what you’ve built.

So when do you start attempting Act 2?

I beat the first boss the first time I reached him, after a couple of early retreats to store resources and build the first two camp add-ons.

Whenever you want, after beating the first boss.

Huh. Interesting premise, but I was playing for a bit, realized “my god it feels like I’ve been playing forever and this is grindy” to realize only 50 minutes had passed.

This is kind of odd because I actually recently quite enjoyed another auto-battler (Astronarch) and thought the added elements of this game would feel welcome. But there is something about the pacing here where I feel obligated to deploy new terrain features and equip new gear far more often than I would like and that a lot of my clicks are resulting in extremely incremental upgrades that feel more like busywork than progress.

Am I maybe playing it wrong? Does the gameplay loop become substantially more interesting? I’m really just asking because I like the idea but so far the execution has left me kind of unimpressed and I’m still under the refund time limit and if the first hour is a good representation of the game I think I’ll just pass. Thanks.

It’s not my cup of tea either, but keep in mind you don’t have to play every card. In fact, there are special resources you get when cards get pushed off screen (Same for items).

I’ve probably put in 15-20 hours by now and I still don’t know if I like it. I’m normally more than happy to put down a game I’m not enjoying especially when it involves a lot of grind. But I can’t seem to get it out of my head. Even if the gameplay isn’t that fun to me and there’s very little positive feedback to tell me when I’m doing smart things, it’s all so unique and mysterious that I can’t help kind of loving it. The decision space of the game seems low on a minute to minute basis, but over the course of a run it really does add up to where it feels like it’s mostly my fault when I fail. And I fail so often that even when it feels repetitive and unsatisfying, it drips in enough positive reinforcement that I feel like like I’m still improving, seeing just enough new and interesting interactions, and maybe even slowly learning how it all fits together. I still don’t know if it’s going to be ultimately rewarding, but for me it at least adds up to a memorable experience.

I like it, but it is a lot more clicky than I was hoping. Constantly cycling equipment in and out and putting things on the map and I do find myself getting tired of it after awhile

Thanks for the responses guys. I kind of know what you mean @delirium, the game is obviously on my mind a bit despite not really having a blast playing it.

I wonder if an overall gameplay design where you just made all the decisions at your camp and 1 or more (it would take some iteration I’m sure to find the right number) checkpoints on the map during each loop might not make your decisions feel more impactful and less tedious. But I dunno, maybe they tried that idea and it’s terrible. A lot of ideas are.

I’ll keep the thread tagged and check back after a bit of time has passed. Based on the games position on the Steam charts I suspect we’ll see more development in the future.

I don’t know why people keep referring to this as a kind of “idle clicker” when there’s really nothing idle about it. This feels more like one of those reverse tower defense games. You’re following a thing that’s cycling around the map, putting down helpful or harmful stuff to build along the path. This just adds the wrinkle of allowing you to risk the outcome by continuing the loop to increase the exit reward.

Will spoiler this, though it’s not really much of a spoiler:

Once you can play as a rogue (unlocked by building the refuge), you primarily get new equipment at the campfire, rather than constant drops throughout the loop. (There are occasional drops, but I think they are a result of village quests and such.) Instead you get tokens from each enemy defeated which get automatically traded for a random assortment of loot each time you hit the campfire. So that relieves some of the constant micromanaging, at least as far as gear is concerned. But you still have to deal with the cards and building your map throughout.

From what I read, once you advance enough, it gets very slow on progress, I don’t know if enough to compare it with an idle clicker.

How do you guys decide on triggering the boss? I have yet to kill even the first one. Do you just sit on a bunch of Oblivions to blow up his palace beforehand, or aim for a specific build (the Warrior is really good at clearing the map with heavy counter + vampirism, but that sucks against the Lich), or do I just suck at this so far?

Typically I’ve been going to loop like 8-9 and going for it. Maybe that’s the wrong approach.

Build stuff around the start and he can’t make palaces.

As for those Oblivions you won’t be needing, Try using oblivion on a mountain instead