Lord of the Rings Trilogy, revisited

I think a viewing of Clerks 2 will shed some light on this subject for you. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0sc-gS9AqM The 2:30 mark.

Holy crap, you didn’t like the lighting of the beacons? Jesus, that is one of those parts that always makes me cry. Seriously, you need to accept the fact that you may just be in the very tiny minority here.

And if nothing else, I find it hard to call Jackson a hack when you see the lengths to which he went to do things like build Hobbiton or craft the seven zillion pieces of arms and armor for the movie. That makes it really hard for me to take your argument seriously. I can accept that you weren’t happy with the movie, and that you don’t like the changes – but when I hear someone being called a hack, it makes me think of someone who is clearly just doing the movie to cash a paycheck. I find it really hard to argue that about Jackson, whatever your opinion of the movie.

In the Movies he is expecting hospitality, so he has no idea that Moria is how it is. It’s a pretty significant and odd departure (also needless, but nevermind). I think his reaction once they are in Moria is pretty important in terms of selling the state of Moria as being tragic, too.

John’s just in full troll mode. Which is odd, because he’s usually an interesting & intelligent poster.

Twas not an act of “hurling.” Twas an act of smoting his ruin upon the mountainside.

Get that shit right, it’s an important distinction.

He just doesn’t respond well to visionary and talented directors who get lots of box office receipts and Oscar wins.

Note to self: Do not watch movies directed by John Reynolds.

Well, mini-troll mode. I’m serious when I say I don’t care for the movies much at all. The trolling is just the Youtube videos.

And, no, I’m not anti-commercial or -critical success.

The absolutist language is pretty trollish too. At least, it is according to your standards, given that you’re usually pretty reasonable.

Oh, well, I guess I’ll cop to that too, though I do think Jackson is a shit director and deserves the title. And poking fanboys is hard to resist, especially ones who want to hold the movies above the books. Anyone so lacking in critical thinking or even taste deserves a good trolling.

But you gotta admit, the LOTRY orgy video was pretty amusing. Not sure who is creepier, Legolas or Aragorn.

I’ve noticed you carrying this attitude into one of the other topics, and I hope it settles down soon.

But anyhow, note that even some of us who love the films still hold the Tolkien works in high esteem as the ultimate written epic. And I do think there are one or two changes that could have benefited the films, but it’s almost on the order of nitpicking.

Huh wuh?

Oh well, I guess I’ll cop to that too, though I do think Tolkien is a shit writer and deserves the title. And poking fanboys is hard to resist, especially ones who want to hold the books above the movies. Anyone so lacking in critical thinking or even taste deserves a good trolling.

Now we’re all fair and balanced and what not.

I’m taking John here:
Hobbiton
and I’ll recite the director’s track word for word during the whole trip.

I’d be down with that. Would love to see NZ.

Wife and I did a 10-day guided Alpine tour to celebrate our 10th back in 2002 and our group was a pretty mixed bag, about half Americans and the rest comprised of Irish, English, NZers, one couple from Australia, etc. The two couples from NZ were awesome, and despite being about 20 years older were the folk we hung out with the most.

I’ll recite the director’s track as Smeagol and Gollum talking to each other.

in seriousness, this is one of those ‘must do’ trips.

It’s obvious that you are the hack here.

You should enter movie-making, obviously you would make billions.

Speaking of LOTR Revisited. Amazon now has the Extended Edition Blu-ray pack up for pre-order:

$83.99 scheduled to be released on Blu-ray in 2011 or 2012. The extended trilogy features 26 hours of bonus material, including the rare Costa Botes documentaries, plus a bonus digital copy of each film available online.

Guess this should go in the nerd rage thread?

Otherwise I’m curious about these, though the extended DVD editions have a pretty great quality already. Wonder if its worth double dipping?

I’ll pick it up, but not till it hits $50. Maybe for Christmas? Come on Amazon!