Lord of the Rings Trilogy, revisited

I don’t think that follows. If you want to show a romantic triangle, all three characters need to at least have scenes together. I totally understood that she was an amalgam of other characters in the first movie, but if they were planning on sticking her in the background they shouldn’t have ever brought her forward.

Someone had to carry Frodo to the ford. Why add another semi-nameless elf to do it? It gives the audience some connection to the character. And she has to be there for a couple of movie logic reasons: 1) Her staying (tied to the fate of the land blah blah) brings Elrond back into the war against Sauron vis a vis the elves at Helm’s Deep (who are actually handled poorly, I think; they all just disappear after the retreat into the keep) and re/forging of Anduril; 2) she is also needed to complete Eowyn’s cycle in a satisfying way; otherwise there is no reason for Aragon not to make Eowyn Queen of Gondor. I really don’t even know that I would consider her “brought forward” so much as just “actually a part of the story” in the movies rather than the books, where she is just a footnote.

I really enjoyed sitting in the theater during the Battle at Helm’s Deep. Can’t recreate that experience at home.

No, Jughead, Archie, and the gang are in Riverdale.

And here I haven’t been correcting people on Nazgûl (not hyphenated, with funky alt-code u - 0251 for the anal), Witch-king (hyphenated, lower case for the k), Middle-earth (same routine), and the like.
;-)

If you’re gonna do it, do it right. Start with the Silmarillion and work your way forward!

I love the movies so much that I had blanked this out in my mind. But when I first watched them, I was so very disappointed with how they portrayed Gimli.

I haven’t read the books in quite some time, but is that really how Tolkien portrayed the Dwarves?

I think that was just PJ et al telling the audience that Gimli was really tired in a humorous way.

In the books dwarves probably rank top for marching in formation at high speed in heavy armor, Daín Ironfoot’s army had moved a long distance very quickly before The Battle of the Five Armies in The Hobbit.

I absolutely hate the descriptions… they go on for several pages about that, over there used to be a hill, where some flowers grew 10 years ago, that a snail had wormed its way past, while it was raining in the early morning, and the sun has only being sun a few miles to the east, where another hill rose where some other flowers had been a few years ago… horrible! try reading it out loud to someone and you’ll see exactly what I mean.

Anyways - Sean Bean is really, really good in this - a friend and I once in a while say to each other “I care not”…simply such a powerful scene, where Boromir is close to the ring, and you can tell lots of things are going on in his mind but still that wonderful line “I care not”.

Not. The Silmarillion (and even more so the other collections of notes and story fragments) is for those who love Tolkien’s world for some other reason already, and is not a good place to start.

The dwarves have absurd endurance in the books, so Gimli can more or less keep up with Legolas in the long chase. I think even Tolkien would have to agree they wouldn’t make good sprinters, though.

My point was not that The Hobbit is chronologically the best beginning, but that it is the most appropriate introduction to the world. Reading The Silmarillion before anything else would be like starting with the Star Wars prequels: painful, disorienting, & a cause of bafflement at why anyone would ever think this the greatest realm ever created.

Bad Idea.

The Silmarillion is not an easy read. It’s unconventional, jumps around and mostly reads like a history book. I can’t imagine someone reading it without first having a pre-established interest via Tolkien’s other books. If so, it’s required reading since it’s the foundation of Tolkien’s mythology.

I think that was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Thanks Hammet, I thought this was the case but couldn’t come up with any examples off hand.

It seems like Peter Jackson got it exactly backwards then. In the movie Gimli claims “We Dwarves are natural sprinters.”

It’s stupid, but that’s pretty much the only part of the films where it bugged me that they deviated from the book.

Dammit. In between this thread and some LOTRO this weekend I tossed in Fellowship of the Ring. Was great times!

Attention readers!

That was a joke.

That was also a joke.

Hope this helps!

Guess i’m going to have to watch the extended editions of LOTR, from reading the thread it sounds like there was a lot of cool stuff that was cut out from the films.

We know, but in a geek discussion you must correct even the jokes for pedantic thoroughness.