Los Espookys

If you have access to HBO, you really ought to check this show out. It’s a half hour (mostly) Spanish language comedy about a group of four friends who are into horror and end up hiring out to, say, fake an exorcism at an orphanage so the head priest can get one over on the new hot priest everyone’s gravitating towards. Or fake a sea monster to drive tourism to a beach town. It’s sublimely silly and has all sorts of lovely touches.

If you don’t believe me, here’s the AV Club’s pre-air review that originally got my interest.

I almost made a thread for this a couple weeks back when I caught the trailer, looks like fun. Plus it has Fred Armisen, and I’m a big fan of his.

I watched the first episode and thought it was a bit rushed and the central premise didn’t quite gel… but there were some wonderful, offbeat jokes in the margins of the story that were hilarious. Like how Armisen’s lifelong calling has been to park cars or the flaky character who showed up for the exorcism while being paid to break in new shoes.

Might watch another one! Might not.

There is so much of that sort of humor in the later episodes.

Just caught up and I’m liking this show a lot, it’s the right kind of weird.

I’m through the first two episodes and my biggest hope is that Pepito shows up again.

You will not be disappointed.

Oh that was better than I could have hoped.

Renewed for season 2.

Yeeeeeeees.

Such a damn good show.

Wonderful news! An odd, but delightful, duck.

Wow, so…the 2nd season is here! This might be my go-to example of a show delayed by covid from now on.

I watched the first season a year or so ago, and since I’m back on HBOMax in my cycle of streaming services, checked out season 2. They’re still dropping episodes once a week so it’s not done yet, seen 4 as of this post. Very much the same style, what I think of as absurdist realism. Take some absurd premise and/or characters, then drop it into reality and play it out. Has a lot in common with What We Do In The Shadows. I enjoy the weirdness, although I will say that I could do with less of the Andres (Julio Torres) and Uncle Tito (Fred Armisen) characters and more Ursula (Cassandra Ciangherotti) and Renaldo (Bernardo Velasco). No need to change Tati (Ana Fabrega), she’s perfect.

I love Andres myself (though the part where he is a terrible person has come out way more this season). Uncle Tito I like but his daughter I could do without. Fortunately she hasn’t been a huge focus. And yeah, Tati slays me every time.

We’re keeping up with this as well. Tati’s book career has been fun to watch. This reminds me of ‘The Mighty Boosh’ in a lot of ways, which is refreshing.