Loss of Pet

Yeah, he’s gone for about 30 hours now.

Aaaw, well I’ll send you good thoughts no matter what.

I don’t read EE very often so I didn’t see this until now. I know it has been a while but I am very sorry, @Nesrie - we have had a couple cats die now (two of old age and one of feline leukemia) and each time I think that it is too much to go through to get another cat because it will just happen again but each time we find more rescues because animals deserve people that love them.

Thank you. This really is the first cat I’ve had die of old age. Sadly we lost the other ones a lot sooner, outside kitties, and i made my outside cat an inside cat to keep him longer. Due to my age he just happened to be a steady part of my entire adult life… i guess in another decade I will experience this more…

It’s not easy. The two I lost this year weren’t very old, but I have two 17 year old cats that I’m dreading having to deal with. One of them I raised since she was 8 weeks old, so I’m not cherishing that thought.

You’re doing the right thing listening to is your gut on this. A lot of people find solace in getting another pet soon after a loss, but how we deal with grief is just as unique as those we lose.

So sorry to hear about everyone’s losses. This isn’t fun.

We’re what, 5 days out from when Oboe left, sick as hell, on his presumed last walk? I feel like it’s time to start organizing a wake. He’s never been gone more than overnight before, and on those two occasions he just bunkered up next to the door and howled at us to let him in when we woke up.

RIP, buddy.

I’m sorry Adam. You are in my thoughts.

I’m sorry you lost your Oboe Adam.

So my dad called me yesterday… he’s kind of been MIA for a month but that can happen when truck driver has a weird schedule and goes to sleep at like 6.

He told me saw a cat that looked like my first cat, the one we had when I was 7. It’s a feral cat that he planned to capture, and of course I had to ask and after you get this wild cat what he planned on doing with it. He said take to my place. .I kid you not. My dad wants to make me happy by bringing a feral cat to my place. If it wasn’t so ridiculous I would, I don’t know. Between that and the annual chip address update reminder it can be rough.

On the plus side, my young cat is all over me, like constantly.He’ll just plop right down my keyboard while I’m using it…

I think I’d like your dad @Nesrie. I love that story.

He probably meant well and in his mind, of course he would bring me a cat that reminds him of the family’s first pet ever… except you can’t just drop a feral cat at a home with another cat, shot, fleas… gotta have a vet checked out and of course if she’s feral, that’s all before the physical violence. But in his min, she lost a beloved pet, I found another one that just likes the first heartache we had.

Heh, I’ve been worrying about it all week, like what am I going to do if she suddenly shows up with a feral cat… and of course I am picturing the worst kind of feral here.

On Monday I had to take my dog Buddy in to be put to sleep. It’s been a pretty tumultuous few months as he progressed from what they thought was allergies affecting his skin, to tests that eventually confirmed he had a semi-rare form of lymphoma that spread to lesions all over his skin, everywhere. He was so, so pitiful. Everything hurt him, he shook constantly and over late last week and the weekend, he had stopped eating and could no longer control himself. Internally it was bad. I’ve not been through a dog loss for one I owned in many years. I’ve certainly not been through being at their side when they were put to sleep.

I’ve been heartbroken so, so badly. Even the staff there were crying as we went through the process, they all know Buddy and have treated him for years.

We still have my fiance’s dog, and he seems affected as well. It’s rough, and I really don’t know how long it will take or even if I want to go through that again. They rely on us for so much, and it is so hard to see them when they are in pain.

I’m really sorry for your loss, Skipper. And yes, the other animals in the house definitely know something is wrong–both with you, and because Buddy is not around. Give them as much of your attention as you can–it will help you as well as them heal.

I’m so sorry. I put one of my cats to sleep this year and it killed me. If you ever want to talk, I’m around.

I’m so sorry you went through that.

We’ve been doing that. He’s wimpered a bit while we picked up Buddy’s bedding and things to wash and store. Dogs are much more intelligent than we give them credit for.

Thanks for the kind words from you all. Many of my neighbors have stopped over or waved me down as I passed by. So many people knew and saw my dog over time, many who i don’t really even know well.

@Jason_McMaster I was kind of shocked by it all. It was a quick process but intensely emotional. My fiance was unable to even be in the room. I wasn’t obligated to be there but I wanted to hold my dog during the process.

For anyone who is on the fence about it, it makes an emotional process that much more so. I’m not sure I could do that again.

You did the right thing. You provided comfort to the very end instead of leaving him with a stranger. Sorry for your loss, its brutal I know.

I guess in contrast it could have happened at home and without either of us there. This was was better versus that. The vet works through things with you beforehand, you pay beforehand, etc. That way after they do the process, you leave and have some time without having to deal with anyone else there.

I’ve been told they also do the process in people’s homes if they want that. I’m not sure if that would have been easier or not.

We’ve had to put several cats to sleep over the years, and we’ve always done it at home, with a travelling vet. Though I don’t think dogs are nearly as traumatized by the whole “omg they are taking me out of the house and into the car” thing the way cats are.

But I know we felt much more–hmm, comfortable isn’t the right word, I’m not sure what is-- just sitting on the floor with Mojo and with Pepper with them in their favorite blanket/throw, holding them while the vet did what she had to do.