Loss of Pet

Some pets really do love those snacks! I am sure she will appreciate it in the end too.

That is a great upside! We had kept ours on a diet to maintain his weight because he had torn his ACL’s and we were worried about arthritis. But yeah, those last two weeks – here you go boy!

Best wishes to your old girl. 17 is amazing.

Sorry, it should have read [I] miss [my male dog] Brodie.

I had to put him down b/c of mast cell tumor.

He did love car rides though! I took him everywhere on the weekends. 17-19 yr old (not exactly sure).

Sorry to hear about Brodie. What eyes!

Sorry to hear about Brodie. He looks like a sweetheart.

Sorry to hear about Brodie as well. He was a cutie!

Whelp, this is my first Christmas in almost 20 years without my little kitty. I think about him several times a week, especially since I can’t bring myself to buy memorial rock yet because I just don’t know what I want but… I went to the Grange Co-op today to donate my toys and of course that place is full of pet stuff.

When I was a kid I did the whole stocking for kitty and all that jazz, but as I got older I realized they don’t really care. I let them hang out in the tree, dutifully removed all ribbon and bows so he’d stop eating and hurling them up later (younger kitty does not do this), but still it’s loss not to see him sleeping under the tree. My remaining kitty finds the process mildly amusing and will go behind the tree but otherwise shows no interests in presents or ornaments.

One of my old cats (Persian) lost a lot of hair on his tail because a candle was burning and of course cats don’t understand how fire works. Other than being a ditz, he was a pretty good cat and would lick your hand like a dog. RIP.

I feel the same way. My girlfriend broke out the little Christmas outfits for our dogs and of course the odd one was for Buddy, who passed earlier this year. It’s bittersweet seeing Bear, her long time dog, and Rosie, our new (old) rescue all dressed up when going out to see friends.

Twenty years is a long time, Nesrie. That was a blessing for both you and your cat.

Indeed, 20 is a great run. My 21-year-old is still hanging in there, scrawny and dotty as hell, but every day I worry that I’ll go in to wake her for breakfast and she just won’t wake up.

All of our furry babies are special. I wish you all peace in the new year, and great times with your companions.

Thank you. I try and tell myself. Most days it’s fine, and sadly I still think of him almost everyday but it’s moments of sadness not like this. Looking at pet gifts was rough, even though he didn’t get a lot of those because he usually looked at my like i was nuts. He’d taken Amazon box and packing pillows over those silly things any day, explore in their for hours even at his great age.

It’s one of the great curses of our life that we outlive our dogs and cats.

Exactly one year today. It’s been distracting me all day so far. I never got him a stone although I know, of course, where I buried him. I just wasn’t sure what to put on the stone, still not.

It’s that you miss your cat from your heart that matters most. Any stone wouldn’t be able to convey everything you felt, so it would only be a short representation of a much bigger thing. I hope you’re feeling okay about him being gone. I still think of Buddy quite a bit. The two dogs we have now made sure I kept my focus on them, I think that helped a lot.

Did you end up getting another cat, Nesrie?

I am not devastated anymore like to the point of just not being able to do anything else but mourn and think. He is forever associated with this holiday though, so I lost some enthusiasm there for the celebration.

I still have my younger kitty, so I am not absent a pet. Others have suggested he needs a playmate. I must not agree with that because a year later, I have acquired no new pets despite strong efforts to push me to get one. They had the pets from the heavy CA fires up here for adoption. I was… tempted, but they only had them a day and work got in the way of me looking. I was also kind of scared at the idea of taking on a pet that might have severe health issues early due to their experiences with those fires.

Watching a pet die in your arms seemed so much worse than finding out you lost one to the outdoors or car… or so it seems. Guilty remains either way I suppose.

Several relatives as well as my dog are all getting pretty old lately. I am preparing myself for bad news that could appear at any moment.

That’s a hard anniversary, and I’m sorry you’re going though it. Whenever you feel the time is right, I’m sure you’ll provide a wonderful home to a playmate for your kitty.

At the vet now, getting ready to put my cat to sleep.

This will be rough.

Sorry about that dude, it’s rough.

Man, sorry to hear that. Hang in there, it’s a rough day all around. Be there for your cat.