Lost Ark (isometric ARPG/MMO) general discussion

Anyone know what they’re starting off with? In the Beta I started with Summoner because I was looking for a mage type and that was the closest there was, but the class wasn’t really grabbing me (I was looking for more permanent pets rather than relying on short-lasting summons). Went on trying a bunch of different classes and was someone settling on Soulfist being the first out the gate, but then they went and swapped out the Summoner for the sorceress and now I’m back to square one.

I think I might go the sorceress, but also debating doing something completely different from what I usually play in these games and try the Gunlance. I mean, I love it in MHW so why not here? :) The brief bit I played it in the beta it felt soooo slow compared to some other classes I tried, but if it can be a tanky DPS I can probably get used to that.

I’m starting with gunlancer. The biggest problem people typically have with it is that their jump is a little backward hop.

Soulfist looks really cool, as long as you aren’t going to lose your mind when your ultimate misses because the boss has moved (it takes several seconds)

I had planned to go summoner, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it is highly likely the artist will become my main, eventually

I’m going a Dethblade as my primary (and damage character).

When I tried the Gunlancer on the Russian server it was quite decent, though there are a few skip skills. The hop does take getting used to since you can’t use it for travel. It does have the lowest straight cooldown of the dodges (which it shared with at least 1 other class I believe) of 5 seconds.

One other tidbit that might help those who are starting to think about LA and what they want to play and such. Since NA/EU is going to Tier 1 (No expansion) you should be able to easily get a few characters to what is essentially the level cap (Gear 415). Once Tier 2 drops you should be able to change your main to any character that has 415 GS and not lose a step. For Tier 2 there is the same mechanic (at GS 915). Also in T2 and T3, there are catch-up mechanics where you get X (currently 3) number of certain types of dungeon gear, and the character you equip it on gets an instant GS bump to 550 for example. Any level of character can equip it so it just requires getting a character to level 50.

Even casual players should be able to find a character they like and be able to get it high enough that if they want to swap primaries they can without much fuss.

This is my plan, essentially. From what I understand, it doesn’t become super costly to switch mains until t3. I’m going to play (at minimum) gunlancer, artillerist, and Paladin to see which I like the most. Unfortunately, there are several classes I’m interested in that we aren’t getting at launch (summoner, destroyer, scout, artist, etc).

When we are in tier 1, it’ll be a great time to try a bunch of different things without having to commit tons of resources to advancement. In addition, we will be able to work on things that are server-wide and benefit all characters (skill points, stronghold, etc)

I really appreciate the efforts of Amazon to translate and localize this game to spanish. They also have hired some good actors that give most of the voices a vibrant quality that is absent in most (all?) games.

I am not a huge fan of the game, after playing don’t seems my type of game, but I am looking forward to the release, I will probably play it till level I see the story of the game. Despite warnings I have received from my spy network that this game may be a bottomless pit. But a game can’t have infinite content, can’t it?

It’s an mmo, they all attempt to do so. This one has had a few years to really hit its stride

this being a mmo is in part what I don’t like from it

theres a pace between story beat and story beat, and it takes too much time for me.

FIrst impressions of the Artist. Really leans in on the cute factor and Anime fans will love the looks as cosmetics.

New Loli Class Release Artist / Painter First Impressions! (Lost Ark - 도화가) - YouTube

deciding between a shooty dude and a punchy chick

Funny you should mention that. Martial arts classes with a melee style aren’t usually my thing, but when I was first looking at classes ages ago, I thought soulfist looked pretty cool. But every soulfist video I’ve ever seen talks about limited burst windows, huge spirit bombs, and the frustration when you inevitably miss with those massive slow attacks.

Turns out those descriptions pertain to one of the class engravings. The other engraving (meridian/energy overflow) is a much more spammy style with lower, but consistent damage.

I’m adding soulfist to the list of classes I really want to try

I’ve sort of picked Paladin as the class I want to try first, but from everything I’ve read, if you play much, you’ll typically end up with a couple of alt characters (since at endgame, you are time limited on how much you can do, so you log in with your main, do stuff, and when you run out of stuff to do, you switch to an alt). Thinking Scrapper and Artillerist as alts for now.

Some people have mentioned as many as 10 alts… I assume this is the hardcore crowd, but that’s pretty nuts.

They are actually limiting that somewhat in Korea, by capping the number of ants you can get full resources with.

I’m planning to play Gunlancer first, but will definitely be trying at least a few others.

As someone who always plays every possible permutation of characters/classes in every game I play, this is very exciting. Finally a game for people with serious alt-itis! Looking forward to trying this.

Well, it may not have the build variety of some aRPGs, but there are a whole bunch of classes (with more being added at a regular clip) and most of those have 2+ playstyles considered viable for endgame.

I hadn’t really paid any attention to this game before now. After doing some research today, I have to say my desire to play it has increased dramatically.

I’ll probably start with the Warrior/Berserker but also want to try Sharpshooter and Striker. Paladin looks interesting too but it (like the Bard) seems to be a support class so I’m not sure how viable it is solo.

Edit: Also, you can only have 6 alts, right?

There are six character slots per server by default. You can buy additional character slots (unsure of the price, but likely in the range of 5-10 dollars). The more expensive founder packs include one extra.

Paladin is a support class. From what I’ve read, they can still handle most solo content just fine.

Yeah, it’s pretty much pure support. I was just reading that on the Korean servers anyone that specs a Paladin as DPS is considered a troll.

Those founder packs don’t seem like such a great deal to me.

Also, I was glad to hear there will be east and west coast NA servers.

It really depends. We do not know the cost of royal crystals. We’re also do not know if avatars will be sellable on the AH as with other regions.

If you plan to spend anyway and if the cost of crystals is $10 per 1000, the top two packs seem like pretty good value (especially gold) particularly if avatars can be sold down the line, as they tend to go up in value.