Lost in Space Remake in the works, by Netflix

Netflix wins bidding war, gets rights to Lost in Space.

The new Lost In Space is described as an epic but grounded science fiction saga focusing on a young explorer family from earth lost in an alien universe and the challenges they face in staying together against seemingly insurmountable odds. It hails from feature writers Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Dracula Untold) who executive produce with Kevin Burns of Synthesis Entertainment, as well as Neil Marshall and Marc Helwig of Legendary TV-based Applebox. Marshall is expected to direct.

1. There was a bidding war for this license? Why?

2. Neil Marshall could be good, but I see he’s not confirmed as director. He just gets first look as part of another deal.

3. Can’t wait to see the newest take on Debbie the Bloop.

Why is it necessary to remake a terrible TV series for which most of the people who remember it are dead? The movie was bad enough. If they wanted to use this story concept, seems to me it would have been better (not to mention cheaper) to come up with a new property and brand.

Uh… that’s cold dude. :/

Seriously? Oh, I forgot. Few people live beyond the age of 50.

They should’ve gotten the reboot rights for Far Out Space Nuts. Essentially the same setup, but probably vastly cheaper.

Perhaps I exaggerate a little. But my point is the demographic for a family program is kids, none of whom have ever heard of the show.

Lost in Space was a TV series? I don’t think so, dude. Way to misrepresent Matthew Leblanc’s finest work, as well as Lacey Chabert’s uncomfortable interim state between child actor and twentysomething pin-up. Plus Mimi Rogers and Heather Graham and Academy Award winner Gary Oldman. Plus unforgettable costumes!

Can’t way to see all these elements back in action! Thanks, Netflix, for reviving this like you revived Arrested Development!

-Tom

Are those supposed to be insignia or badges or alien jellyfish parasites on their chests?

Also the first role I remember seeing Jared Harris in!

I watched that series when it was first on and loved it. I fought with my parents to stay up late to watch it. Late, being 8-9pm. This was a year before Star Trek, IIRC. I was 6-7. I think I had Lost in Space action figures.

I would subscribe to Netflix just for this. I would love for them to do with it what was done with the equally campy Battlestar Galactica: remake it as good science fiction.

And as far as I know I’m not dead, though I had better go double check.

Well, maybe two and a half seasons of good science fiction.

Not even touching the contention that Lost in Space and original BSG were equally campy.

One thing that contributed nicely to the campiness of the Lost in Space TV series was the theme music by Johnny (as he billed himself then) Williams.

Zylon – Not arguing, just curious: which did you think was campier? I’d be hard pressed to choose.

No.

Just no.

It was an awful show. (I remember the episode with the CARROT SUIT)

Please, Netflix. Something else, please.

We talked about this in another thread – I think a thread about the movie – but the tone of the Lost in Space TV show changed dramatically over the course of its run. It wasn’t always a goof.

-Tom

EDIT: Here you go.

I was a child of that era. Lost in Space. Star Trek. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. And as far as I can tell I’m still alive.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jonathan Harris at a comic convention way back in the dark ages. We spent a great time discussing various things, there wasn’t a line for his table for some strange reason. He told me great stories about his various acting jobs. Meanwhile Mark Goddard and Marta Kristen were at the table next to his. And Mark kept yelling, “Don’t give away free autographs!” No joke. He was a dick.

So Harris and I were having a great talk. Eventually I had to leave. And I asked him to call me a Bubble Headed Booby. As I walked away he said, “You! You Sir are a Bubble Headed Booby!.”

I was called a bubble headed booby by fucking Doctor Smith! Beat that!

As long as they purge that horrible movie adaptation from their memories and only go on the TV show, I’m all for this.

And Rich, don’t forget Land of the Giants!

Great story. Funny, but Mark Goddard was a dick on the show too! Lost in Space was all over the place, but there were some great moments in the series. Dr Smith is one of the great TV characters. I still remember the episode where he wanted to steal a piece of the birthday cake so he took a slice out the middle, pushed the two halves together, and smoothed over the icing. I always wanted to try that but I never had the nerve.

I mainly watched the show in re-runs, the same way I watched Gilligan’s Island. It was the after school stuff. I’d come home and veg in front of the tv for an hour or so and watch the re-runs.

Fun fact: Lost in Space was the reason CBS turned down TOS.