Lost in Space Remake in the works, by Netflix

Oh my god, you people really call the old Star Trek “TOS”? Sometimes Quarter to Three makes me feel like one of the cool kids who’s going to smoke cigarettes behind the gym while you trade pogs during lunch in the cafeteria.

-Tom

My guess is that TOS came from a comparison to TNG. Without the TNG acronym I seriously doubt that TOS would have ever been thought of.

I’m not a huge fan of weirdo acronyms either, but I can speak geek with a native accent.

I think only in print. I’ve never heard it spoken. Now can I have my lunch money back?

This feels a little like the first time I ran into an internet slapfight between fans of Calvin & Hobbes and Cyanide & Happiness arguing over who “owned” the abbreviation C&H ;)

Wait, do people do that here? I’m pretty sure I still have mine somewhere…

I guess it depends on what group you’re working with. There is TOS and the Reboot. It becomes a lot of fun when you’re talking about Spock, no not that Spock the original Spock in the original series not the original Spock in reboot movies which is not to be mistaken for the new TV series.

So you can teach all the people who argue “TOS was super high quality for every minute of screen time it aired” a lesson?

Well I would do it for laughs but each to their own.

Well I would do it for laughs but each to their own.

totally off topic rant about acronyms and the internet… I HATE when people verbally say the acronym when the full words have the same syllables. You aren’t saving letters verbally.

Rant brought on by people covering CoD saying the letters OBJ every time they could just say ‘objective’ (using CoD was not an accident fwiw, oops did it again)

totally off topic rant about acronyms and the internet… I HATE when people verbally say the acronym when the full words have the same syllables. You aren’t saving letters verbally.

Rant brought on by people covering CoD saying the letters OBJ every time they could just say ‘objective’ (using CoD was not an accident fwiw, oops did it again)

Even though nobody ever argues that? Certainly nobody here. I think the people who love the TOS openly acknowledge that it has lots of rough spots.

Jeez, lighten up Francis. It was meant as a joke, something clearly lost on you. Arguing extremes is a pointless endeavor, one I have no interest in getting into so, go pick a fight with JJ or something.

I exclusively refer to “COD” as though it were the fish.

Strictly speaking, 99% of the time I reference COD in-person, I just say CODBLOPs as though it were a word and pretend that non-BlackOps entries to the series don’t exist, because fuck me saying CODBLOPS in a loud, nasally whiny-teenager-on-XBL voice is fun.

Tom must never read much published material about Star Trek, because that TOS acronym has been around in common print usage for decades, ever since TNG was a thing. Relatively sure we used it when I was an editor at OMNI in the mid-1990s.

I LOVED Lost in Space as an after-school show when I was in second/third grade. Then it wasn’t shown again in the area I lived in until I was a teenager. You know how sometimes you mentally upgrade the awesome 8- and 16-bit games of days past and you’re disappointed when you play them again? I couldn’t BELIEVE how cheesy Lost in Space was when I saw it again as a teen. Took a long time to get where I could enjoy it for the cheese that it was, given how disappointed I was.

I did enjoy the movie, except I didn’t like the ending.

Anyone catch the pilot that’s floating around the Internet of the previous attempt to reboot this? It was pretty bad.

If they bring this back, the Robot should be unchanged. :)

I got that you were attempting that, chief. But the attempt sucked.

I wonder whether Buck Rogers in the 25th century would be like that for me. I used to love it as a 8-10 year old. It was right up there with the 6 million dollar man.

I’ll never check. I can’t bear to shatter those happy childhood memories.

Wendelius

It’s similar to what you get when you walk into a room full of sports nuts and hear a bunch of jargon that sounds really weird or dumb, but is actually pretty straightforward and neessary. The acronyms also showed up in the various Trekkie Usenet groups in the 1990s (alt.tv.star-trek.tos, alt.tv.star-trek.next-gen, alt.tv.star-trek.ds9 and alt.tv.star-trek.voyager).

Yeah, but it was directed by John Woo and Adrianne Palicki played Judy Robinson!

Oh. Oh well.

The robot was such a fail. Though if you look in the background, you can see the clear dome from a Robot B-9 in Will’s junk pile.

I didn’t even recognize Adrianne Palicki the first time I watched that. Hah.