Lost in Space Remake in the works, by Netflix

Didnt hate it, didnt love it. There was enough to like to make it worth watching. I did dislike the way they used “Dr. Smith” in the show. Not that Posey did a bad job, she was great at making you hate the character. No, it was more in the way that they had to make the other characters stupid beyond belief, in order to drive her story. That alone came close to ruining the series. Good job on the special effects, mashed with a travelogue for tourism in Vancouver. All in all a decent first season that ends with some serious potential for a great 2nd season.

The effects and production values were extremely good.

A lot of the plot was kind of cheesy and unbelievable, with stuff thrown in to force the story with no real reason.

Like, ok, this:

So the planet goes… near the sun? every year? And it kills everything. Ok… but this would suggest that years are really, really long, since there is a huge complex ecosystem. At one point the japanese scientist guy is explaining how he figured this out independently, because none of the trees had more than one ring.

But there is apparently this super duper rush to get out of the solar system. Why? There’s this idea of “oh man there’s a black hole and the planet gets pulled towards the sun and blah blah blah…” Honestly, I don’t even get what role the blackhole even plays in this scenario. You don’t need it to explain the weird orbit. It just seems to be another random thing thrown in.

So it seems like while the planet is destroyed every year, the years are not super long… not on the order of millions of years. But the trees “only have one ring”? But they are… clearly full size trees. Everything on the planet is full size. But the planet seems like it’s on the verge of being destroyed when they leave, after only a few days of being there. This suggests that things should be growing super fast, like in Star Trek 4 on the genesis planet or something.

It was just kind of dumb and hacky… Right up until the end, when the resolute is like, “We need to go, so you need to get here in 30 minutes!”

Why? I mean, they’re a space ship. They aren’t so close to the black hole that it’s doing anything to them now… so they can just … move away from it. There were a lot of things like this where they introduce silly things for the sake of creating tension. Like at the beginning, the girl has 5 hours of oxygen in her suit. But at the end, when the dad is up in space, he’s got… I dunno… like, at least a day of oxygen. Indeed, it seems like they aren’t even worried about oxygen for him. The idea that they survived the ship exploding and were just chilling out on a little piece of it was itself absurd.

The “We need to go within 30 minutes” bit was explained. Apparently the solar orbit would bring the black hole close enough to the area of planetary orbit where both ships were hanging out, which would flood the area with fatal radiation. Not saying its a good explanation, just that they at least did more than hand wave it away. Your point is still valid though. The writing was mediocre.

Wow, that was amazing.

End of Episode 8: Holy S**t!
End of Episode 9: Holy S#*t!
Most of Episode 10: Wow!

My favorite moment in Episode 10: “It’s pointing at us!”

I don’t get the tepid reaction in this thread. I really connected with this show. There were moments around episodes 3,4,5 where it kind of dragged, but not completely, and it was always well made, with high production values, decent acting, decent music, great special effects and actual physical props, and best of all, I love that their science excuses for plot points always made sense. I know that might seem like a minor thing for some people, but it really bothers me when shows are too lazy to come up with plausible scenarios for where they want to take the plot.

Overall this is one of the better looking science fiction shows I’ve seen. And all the characters seemed genuine to me. Even the lovable rogue, who is usually a character that seems the most artificial, seemed genuine in this one.

I don’t get the “lovable rogue” nonsense. She murdered somebody, tried to kill others, kidnapped, stole her sister’s chance to join the ship, lied consistently throughout, etc.

She’s a sociopath. She needs to be put down.

Pretty sure he was talking about Don, not Smith.

You’re thinking of the villain, not the lovable rogue.

I liked the villain a lot too. The only thing that bothered me about her is that for several episodes she’s wearing sweatpants, like she’s lounging around in a living room. It’s really hard to take someone seriously when they’re wearing sweatpants.

Trying to avoid spoilers, so please @ me in a response -

I watched the first episode and … well, I just did not enjoy myself. I wouldn’t say I actively disliked the show, but I certainly wasn’t thrilled by it.

Things I liked -

• The space stuff design. The suits, the ship, etc.
  • Uh, the, uh …

Things I disliked -

• Overdesigned robot
  • Acting, casting, dialogue
  • Cheap frozen set
  • Weird present day back on Earth complete with iPhones mixed with starships?

The problem is that I like science fiction shows and movies, even if they’re actively bad, mostly just to get my fix.

Does it improve at all?

@nijimeijer, I would say it gets better. At least hang around for the next two episodes, I’d say. Especially just episode 2. If you still don’t like it after that, you can safely bail I think. It gets slow in Episodes 4 and 5, unfortunately, but then picks up again after that. I enjoyed it from Episode 1 because I really liked the tension between all the various characters, and I was really curious on where the story was headed next. But if you don’t feel any of that after episode 2, you probably won’t.

That actually gets explained.

I liked this quite a bit overall, but the apparent omnipotence of the villain was driving me crazy. Everything just kept falling into place for her, despite the fact she couldn’t have possibly orchestrated all those events. But I did like the show, and am looking forward to the next season!

He’s on the bridge of the ship with everyone else at the end of the show, so … yes.

The chicken makes it too.

The chicken has a name!

Indeed it does, but I’m at work and can’t be arsed to look it up.

I don’t need to look it up! It’s Debbie!

Debbie made a big impression on me.

Debbie was awesome.

Best-written lines of any actor on the show.

So, I assume the robot is coming back, but from what I recall he was blown into space and then their ship teleported away?
Also did they ever explain what happened with Judys dad? Is he dead or just stay behind on earth?

I thought all 3 kids had the same parents, including Judy? Was there mention of a different dad for Judy? I must have missed that.

As for the robot, I don’t remember the precise details of the final showdown. I’m sure they’ll remind us if we get another season. I’ve always found it best not to get hung up on details like that, in case the show runners decide to change some things. Ignorance is bliss in that scenario. They’ll recap what they want us to remember.

Yeah they referred to Judy being from a different dad in the last few episodes. Dad is only biological dad to Will and Penny