LOTR:Online - playing music in an MMO

That’s not the worry. The worry is when the catass uberguilds start getting the epic bagpipes to drop.

Oh man. Ninja lute. Wow.

You can turn off player music in the client if “stairway to heaven” or “smoke on the water” is beginning to get on your nerves…

AC2 gave players one of 10 simple harmony tracks to play on perhaps a dozen instruments. There was no player control to do anything but switch tracks or switch instruments. By itself any track was little more than unmelodic honking, but if multiple tracks were played, the system would mix and merge them to make something more musical like a simple fugue, but still basically just a multipart harmony with no melody. Different combinations of the same tracks yielded very different sounding harmonies, so it wasn’t instantly boring. Basically medieval muzak, though.

In LOTRO you have what amounts to a small keyboard to play individual notes, so you can pretty much do whatever you want within some quirky limits of quantizing and lag that are being addressed in future updates. There is also a feature to record and play sequences from external files, like a simplistic MIDI.

New meme? I think so.

I wonder why they didn’t utilize the actual computer keyboard? They could have done a faux piano layout with it that would have made it easier to do sharps and flats.

The default didn’t, but you can remap all the music keys to whatever you want. I heard you can also hook up a midi keyboard to the game and play that way!

Now we just need donation hats and you might be able to make a “living” in an MMORPG as a musician.

That would actually be pretty cool.

Yeah, you can get F4t LUT3$!

A friend of mine has spent most of his time in beta converting guitar sheet music to the format for these external files. He’s gone so far as to forget actually playing the game, as his little group of online players is just working themselves up to a serious set of playable songs.